im so cold at times

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

im so cold at times

Postby pops » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:29 am

Hello everyone. Ive had fm for ten years and im managing to cope thanks ti a gres
t doctor. I have problems with always feeling cold so you can imagine my gas bills. I dont qualify for disability allow
ance but can i get help with my gas bills? Im a carer for my sister and get working tax credit as my husband has low pay. Thanks for any advise.
pops
UKFM Member

Re: im so cold at times

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:47 pm

:welcome: to the forum pops :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Being sensitive to temperatures is something that affects quite a number of us FMers, myself incl. It doesn't take much of a change in temperature for me to swing from one extreme to the other :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

There are some payments that may be made towards things like heating, but they usually either need to be applied for/claimed, or for someone to be in receipt of certain benefits for them to be eligible.

The Cold Weather Payment may be received if certain benefits are being claimed/paid. These include Pension Credit, Income Support, Income~Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income~Based Employmeny and Support Allowance. The linky explains more about it.

The Winter Fuel Payment is paid to those born between certain dates, again the linky has more details such as who qualifies, rates etc.

There is also the Warm Home Discount Scheme which is a one~off discount on your electricity bill. Whilst that seems to be for pensioners, there are several mentions in the linky about suppliers possibly being able to offer it to vulnerable people, such as those on a lower income. Each supplier has their own rules for who may qualify for this, so you would need to speak to your supplier to see if you meet their criteria. Again, the linky has more info about it.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby pops » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:01 pm

Thanks for your reply. I will look into your info.
pops
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:10 pm

I usually hot all the time when I'm at work I sweat like mad and in bed. But when I'm at home in the evening watching tv I get cold I have got a lovely fleece blanket that I cuddle up on the sofa with. We are less able to controll are body temp so often go from hot to cold x :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby pops » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:32 pm

Im cold never hot lol if I get very cold I actually pass out. Im wearing winter clothes long before most people. Lol
pops
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:53 pm

Have you mentioned the passing out when you get too cold to your GP pops?? Just wondering if there could be something else at work when this happens :-? :-? :-?
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby pops » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Yes, my gp has said its the opposite of when someome gets too hot & faints! It doesnt happen often as I take as much care as possible not ti get that cold lol My thermostat is just set too low!
pops
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:55 pm

Pops.....I have to tell you I am also always cold. I do have Raynauds but this cold is different.

Has your Dr checked your thyroid? I have had my thyroid removed (cancer). I am on replacement meds but since my thyroid was removed I am constantly cold. Cold in the bones. I tell hubby.....I am cold on my side, LOL

I would definitely talk to your Dr more about this issue. It could be something other than fibro that is messing with your thermometer.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby pops » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks for your post. Yes my gp is thorough but ive got to see him thursday so i will bring it up again with him. Theres so much to think about with fm. At least my new gp has given me pregabalin which has helped me so much. Take care.
pops
UKFM Member

Postby gems87 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:41 am

i get cold when sitting watching tv at nighttime but then all of a sudden i get so hot its like a cold sweat, really strange feeling. I used to love the sunshine but this summer ive noticed i cant tolerate it at all. I cant wear a heavy coat if and when i do go out as it makes me too sweaty
gems87
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:02 am

Thank you..... I was beginning to think it was just me , I sit with a warm blanket in easy reach as one minute I can be ice cold the next sweating like I've run a marathon, I wake overnight sweating buckets but if I try to get out of bed I find it freezes me as soon as I move no matter how warm the room is x

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby pops » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:48 am

No its not just you lol i dont get the sweats just so cold. I have to save what i can ready for our winter gas bills but its getting harder to save as im sure you will all agree. Take care.
pops
UKFM Member

Postby binty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 am

i feel the cold more and more lately, i can tell when theres just a degree change in temperature, it gives me alot of pain in my neck, shoulders and hands, ive never owned so many scarfs and gloves, people look at me as if im mad when im wearing them and the sun is shining and they are still wearing summery clothes, but i know that if i let the cold in i will be in agony even if im only out in it for 10 mis or so so i wrap warm regardless
binty
UKFM Member

Postby pops » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:55 am

I know the feeling. Ive had chilblains on my ears for the first time last week and Its not even winter yet lol

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2
pops
UKFM Member

Postby mary251 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm almost constantly cold. When I was diagnosed, my mum did some research on FM and found that it is linked with Raynauds, which my paternal grandmother had. I'm under a blanket every evening, with the exception of the height of summer, when I may risk not curling up in it. My fingers actually turned blue the other day at my mums house, and it was only about 15C! She gave me a blanket to get under and made me wear her winter gloves!

Thermal undies are my best friends! I just wish they made them a little sexier... :oops:
Sometimes, there is simply not enough chocolate in the world...
mary251
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia