A questian of exersize and doctors

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

A questian of exersize and doctors

Postby BonnGayle » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:50 pm

So I had my & month visit with my Reumy as you all know by now Im sure I live in Germany at the moment so I took my German hubbs along in case there was an language problems , I had in my mind all the things I wanted to say my main focus being pain and its manegment day to day I work ina kindergarden 20 hours and I am finding it tricky some weeks. So I told him that pain was a problem still the amitryptalin helps but not nearly enough and I feel that some pain medication might be needed some days , he imeddiatly lept down my throat told me I was focused on my pain and that pain meds are not a way forward , what exersize do you take he asked, I continued to say I work with small children 20 hours and when Im home I like to go walking ...Walking he said thats not exersize thats for old people ! no he said you need aerobic exersize to get your heart pumping and take some paracetomol ..I did at this point tell him I tried that and it did nothing , ah well he then said maybe take two amatriptalin see how that goes.......
well you can imagine how I felt after that Germans can be very up front about things but that just blew me away! :yikes:

but I have an idea in my mind ..has anyone used a wii game to get going with fitness... I dont think I could cope witha gym at this point so I want to start a bit at home then move onto that ...maybe
Fibro,PCOS,Asthma,excema and Dyspraxia ( undiagnosed because it didnt exist then )
what does'nt kill us just makes us stronger!
BonnGayle
UKFM Member

Re: A questian of exersize and doctors

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:55 pm

I have, in fact OH has set the Wii up for me again, just need to find my motivation to get going with it again. I often end up wobbling all over the place and in fits of laughter, esp when OH has a go and can't stand on his own 2 feet. Not sure how much it helps fitness wise but a good old giggling can work wonders.

As for walking being for OAPs, PAH!!!! My GP thinks it's decent exercise for FM as it can be altered, depending on how things are, and can be quite social as well. My walkings usually involve being attached to the doglet and have big thumbs ups from everyone who has been part of my care and treatment.

If walking suits you, then carry on with it. Maybe try altering how far you go or the speed you walk at to add a little extra when you're able to do so. A little bit of something exercise wise is far far better than a whole lot of doing nothing.

When All Else Fails, Hug your Teddy xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby whoami » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:40 pm

I think I understand what the Dr is trying to say.

Excercise...You are very active at your job but since your body is use to it then you need more, something different.
Walking is a great form of excercise as long as it is done at a pace other than a normal walk around to the . shops etc.

Pain.........Some Dr's. tend to get their backs up when patients ask or suggest that pain meds need to be increased.
Of course pain is the main issue for you and a Dr needs to realize this. I think it is how you bring the subject
up to a Dr that provokes a reaction. Some Dr's. feel that it is them that need to bring the subject up. That a
patient can't possibly know what they need. Your Dr needs to know if your meds are not working and it is his
Job to either adjust them or suggest another form of pain control.

I think your WII is a perfect outlet for excercise. If you are like me I don't do well with crowds and being at a gym is very intimidating. At home you can go at your own pace. Good luck and have fun!
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Johafa » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Walking is a great form of exercise and I was told to do so. But what I found even better is aqua running and swimming. I don't do well in crowds neither or in a gym. I don't like the noise or music they play but in a swimming pool, with ear plugs, it's alright. As long as you enjoy swimming, it's great.

Good luck and gentle hugs.
Johafa
UKFM Member

Postby sapphirerose71 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:04 pm

I find yoga very helpful. You'd need to find a yoga instructor that works with people with problems and will tailor the sessions to your needs.
I always leave each session feeling wonderful and I don't suffer with any stiffness or soreness the next day ( just my usual fibro pain!) as you may get with other types of exercise.

I started yoga without it being suggested by any of my doctors but my pain clinic consultant was very enthusiastic when I told him. :grouphug:
sapphirerose71
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia