Panic attacks whilst driving?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Panic attacks whilst driving?

Postby Wackers34 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:06 pm

This has happened before, probably a good six months ago...but today I was driving with the kids in the car, just 20mins down the road, on a dual carriageway...I started to feel faint and sweaty and my legs turned to jelly...it felt like my face was tingly and i was losing blood from it...
I pulled over on a slip road, then pulled myself together, got 10 mins back down the road, nearly reached my destination and then had another
All morning I had been having strange heart sensations (have had this before) palpitations, fast heartbeat...I shouldnt have drived, but I had promised the kids - anyway walked the rest of the way to destination and got my friend to drive my car back home

Has anyone else had a panic attack whilst driving? Does anyone get them with fibro?

Im worse when my fatigue is at its worse

Its such a scary and strange thing
Wackers34
UKFM Member

Re: Panic attacks whilst driving?

Postby hjlinton » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi your not alone this has happened to me a few times.
I got to a roundabout and just didnt know what to do for about 30 seconds.
Very scary and comes on without warning. Well done for getting
Home safety. Just another fibro symptom we have to endure unfortunately.
Take care xx
hjlinton
UKFM Member

Postby wendy10 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:37 pm

hi yes i just cant drive on dual caridgeways... i get them often anyway but especially driving i do find taking 2 quite life tablets (herbal tablets from boots £3.90 for 60) about 20-30 mins before driving just helps my brain from freaking out but still leaves you alert.. hope you find something that helps very frightning and out of the blue arnt they..
wendy10
UKFM Member

Postby Suzyhyde » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:43 pm

I have trouble driving more than 6 miles my feet feel numb my legs go all of a tremble and I do feel all of a panic ,I get scared that if I told my doctor he may say I shouldn't drive ,I live where there is no buses so I would be stuck ,I work 3 days then three days have to look after my mum who has dementia so I need my car it is scary but you have to have a bit of independence if that was taken from me I could not bare my life my lifeline :-)
Suzyhyde
UKFM Member

Postby pops » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:48 am

I actually gave up driving two years ago as I felt I was a danger to others as it hurt so much to drive that I couldnt concentrate.

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2
pops
UKFM Member

Postby felinefine » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:11 pm

I didn't drive for 6 weeks after my stroke in July, I had no loss in confidence at first, but the last few times I have been out Its felt different, last night I was on a dual carriage way in the dark and it was windy. I was nearly crying, I have never been like that about any driving circumstance. I do feel as though I weigh up gaps more and moving lanes.

I hope it helps others to know they are not alone it helps me so much
felinefine
UKFM Member

Postby Otter65 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:58 pm

Hi

I was ok driving, until recently, although I had to take plenty of stops on long journeys. My husband doesn't drive so I don't have any choice, my twin daughters have just started uni this year so have been doing alot of extra driving.

When I had to take one to her uni a 5 hour trip a deer ran out in front of me when we had only been on the road for half hour, I was unable to stop in time so hit it, it got up and ran off but I was left very shaken but had to continue on.

I final go her to uni and settled in after a 7 hour journey, was booked into a hotel for the night but ended up having to stay 2 nights as was unable to drive as it had taken all my energy and was in a lot of pain, I have no idea how I mananged to get home its a bit of a blur, but I am dreading have to go and pick her up at xmas. just not sure that I can manage that long a journey again.

It was hard enough this weekend visting my other daughter at her uni which is only a 45 min trip on the Motorway but I don't feel safe unless I have someone in the car with me.

:(
Otter65
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia