Did having an operation make your fibro worse ?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Did having an operation make your fibro worse ?

Postby TATT » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi,

I would really like to know if you had an operation and it made your fibro worse or sent you into a flare?

I am due a 1 hour operation to stitch back my bowel wall and I am wondering if I should postpone seeing as its winter and with Christmas coming up. I do know that anesthetic is really bad for the body.

I also think I am getting anxious .......

Need help please

Tatt
TATT
UKFM Member

Re: Did having an operation make your fibro worse ?

Postby shortnsweet54 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi Tatt,
The anaesthetic caused my fibro to go nuts, but then i do react badly to anaesthetics and don't recover well as i get very swollen in the surgery area, just the way my body reacts.
After the event as per usual my gp said a general anaesthetic can cause certain diseases to flare up...fibro being one of them!!! would have been nice to have been warned of the possibility, although it would have made no difference..if surgery is needed it's needed.
Maye you could speak to your consultant or rheumy for advice.

Hope all goes well xxx
shortnsweet54
UKFM Member

Postby marianne » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:17 pm

I had a opp on my foot I was realy ill after it for about 8 weeks but I was kinder aspecting it I was more worried about how it would affect me than the op itself sorry to worry you but its better to no but I think you should still have it done best to get it over with x
marianne
UKFM Newbie

Postby hjlinton » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:17 pm

Hi I had a massive 6 hour op in march and yes it made fibro worse for a bit
but the anxiety of surgery and the problem needing surgery also make fibro bad so
I would go ahead. Good luck but sure you will be fine xx take care xx
hjlinton
UKFM Member

Postby gems87 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 pm

hi

I insist that having major surgery caused me to have fibro, i havent been well since having spinal surgery in the year 2000 :(
gems87
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:36 pm

I had spinal surgery (spinal Stimulator) fitted and was in so much pain it was unreal and i developed a massive blood clot and them they had a remove the stimulator was really ill for weeks. I my have to have surgery on my knee and i'm not looking forward to it.

Good Luck
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby andycrazy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:45 pm

I had an hernia op in April. One of the injections in my hand hurt like hell. When the anasthetic wore off I had a flare up. My hips and knees hit the number 10 on the 1 to 10 pain scale, I could hardly stand up for a couple of days. The flare up lasted about 6 to 8 weeks then went down to my normal pain levels (around 8 on the scale) I had to take 400mg tramadol a day for a couple of weeks and had chronic fatigue. My stepdaughter thought I was the laziest man she had ever seen as I was in bed a lot of the time. The aneathatist
told me I would have a flare up if I have fibro.
Hopefully you wont get that bad and all goes well. Good Luck!
andycrazy
UKFM Member

Postby Denise37 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:57 pm

I believe shoulder surgery caused my fibro. My sister had the spinal stimulater for complex regional pain syndrome, she doesn't get much relief from it. She's having to have more surgery soon as the wires have all come out and none of the programme settings are working
Denise37
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:27 am

Tatt......I have had over 25 surgeries since having fibro. They have been anywhere from one hour
to 5 1/2 hour surgery.

I had 4 major surgeries in one week. I also have severe complications with surgeries but never has it increased any fibro symptoms or where they caused by the fibro.

I have never experienced any added discomfort from the surgery. The key is, make sure your Dr's know you have fibro. Make sure they know exactly what medication you are taking.

If you would like to PM me please do so.

The anesthetic should not have any effect on you other than the normal tiredness afterwards. You should be able to talk to your anesthesiast before your surgery. He/she will answer any concerns.

Relax...no matter how we have responded to things everyone of us is different. Talk to your Dr about your concerns.

Lorraine xx
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby lindajnaden. » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:05 am

So thats whats been happening to me, I had an opperation September and since then my hips, knees, ankels whole body has been so bad with Fibro this past week i havnt been able to walk properly, no body told me that this could happen, but its clear now. Thank you . :-o
lindajnaden.
UKFM Newbie

Postby Marsha76 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:41 am

I just had back surgery 9 weeks ago. As I lay in this bed, I focus on my pain more so it seems like I am in a flare more than I really am. But, I do know to tell u that if u are super sensitive to pain, u will have more pain. My spinal surgeon, the GP, and anesthesiologist all told me I would have more fibro pain after surgery. If u need the surgery, you should do it. You will get thru it and come out on the other side and be glad u did it. Good luck to u!
Marsha76
UKFM Newbie

Postby TATT » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:39 pm

Thank you to everyone who replied.

It's much appreciated, I feel now that I should get mentally prepared for a flare and if not its a bonus.

Tatt x
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby pops » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:02 am

Hi. I had a hysterectomy two years ago. The medical team involved knew of both my fm status and my bad reaction to diclafenic. We worked as a team and I had no problems recovering. I was back sitting at my office job for 3 hours a day after 4 weeks and discharged after 8 weeks.

It wasnt easy but you need to advise the medical staff of your condition & how it affects you and hopefully in return they will work with you for a good recovery.

Determination and a positive attitude really helped.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-S5839i using Tapatalk 2
pops
UKFM Member

Postby SeaHorse1 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:04 pm

I feel that the operation I had in October 2012 set fibromyalgia off, I felt so ill after the operation on my sinus, since then I have been struggling with various problems - pain, fatigue, brain fog, & was diagnosed in July 2013 with fibro obviosly they can't say it as caused by my op but before then the only problem I had was related to my sinus problem.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
SeaHorse1
UKFM Member

Postby gems87 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:15 pm

same as, i was grand before my surgery in 2000, hardly ever at docs, since then i just havent been well at all, between spinal surgery for scoliosis, me/fibro, anxiety, depression, under active thyroid, reoccuring throat infection/glandular fever, stiff joints, difficulty sleeping, extreme ibs, siaticia..... i could go on and on, what makes it worse im only 26
gems87
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia