Refused train access with mobility scooter

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Refused train access with mobility scooter

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Hi all

I have just got back from my local railway station in floods of tears and feel so rejected as a disabled person. I have gone through hell these last few weeks and just when i am getting on top of things and feel like venturing out i am kicked down and feel very, very rejected. I arrived 10 mins before train with Milly and excitedly waited we were on our way to the seaside for a few hours on the train, or so i thought. When the train pulled in i patiently waited for the guard to provide a ramp so i could get on the train only to be told that mobility scooters are not allowed on the train unless they fold up and can be carried on as luggage, yet if i was in an electric wheelchair they would provide a ramp.

I promptly told them that my mobility scooter did fold up like a pushchair!!! I was distraught when they told me it was too heavy for them to carry it on so unless i could lift it on myself then they would have to refuse me. I walk badly with the aid of crutches so there was no way i could do this myself. A very kind passenger offered to assist but that was refused as i would need to get back at the end of the day. Surely this is discrimination i am an emotional wreck i am trying to help myself and feel like i am being constantly kicked from all angles. Where is the justice?!!!!!! I am at a loss HELP!!!!

Milly :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Re: Refused train access with mobility scooter

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Was it someone from the train station who said your scooter couldn't go on, or was it one of the staff on the train??

If it was someone from the station, a look at their policy relating to disabled passengers should explain the situation with scooters, and possibly give you some decent ammo for a complaint :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:

If it was a staff member on the train, a look at the online train guide should say which company was running the train, again a look at their policy should explain things and also give you something to :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby millymoodoo » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi Flupp

I have rung the rail network who have told me it is at the discretion of the railway staff and they have no policy currently in place to allow mobility scooters on any train. You can use their ramp for an electric wheelhair, so i asked why i couldnt use the same ramp and get it on myself and have been told its all down to health and safety.

Watch this space i will contact my mp, the newspapers and anyone else that will listen to me!!! Has anyone else had problems taking their mobility scooter on the train? If what i am being told is correct i do believe they are breaking something within the disability law as this cant be right. I am so cross as i am unable to drive right now and just fancied treating Milly, she is so disappointed bless her she deserves a nice run on the beach after what she has gone through in the last few weeks.

Milly :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them get up!!! When life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!! Everyday is a gift which is why we call it the present
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:02 pm

Looking at info relating to the station nearest to me, as well as nationally, all stations should have a Disabled Persons Protection Policy (DPPP) that sets out the services that disabled customers can expect when travelling . It may have a title such as A Guide for Customers with Disabilities and should be freely available at staffed stations, from the operators website, or by contacting their Customer Relations Dept. The policy should recognise obligations under the Equality Act 2010 to ensure that the best service is available.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:04 am

So sorry you had to put up with this after all you have gone through its disgraceful, cant add anything in the way of advice that Flup hasn't mentioned.

I hope you get a proper apology and maybe a free trip to the seaside for milly :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby toplessbug » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:35 am

I use a boot scooter on my railway, it's only a 5 mins journey but it's 30 by road. Anyway they let me to ride on sit on for journey and ride off.
They are really good.

But keep going girl I'm behind you just incase lol xxx

Soft hugs flown in by ducks
:-) xxxxx
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:12 am

If your scooter is licensed for road use, then they may have a technical point in terms of health and safety - they wouldn't allow a motorbike on the train, would they?

I suspect if you complain you will get this given as a reason, AND they will probably point out that they do advise people to check before travelling with wheelchairs etc on individual services. I'd be surprised if you get very far.

National Rail has the following information on this page http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_ ... 44969.aspx:

Powered scooters

Because scooters come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, many have problems on trains, including: tipping backwards on ramps; being heavier than the ramp's safe working load; or being the wrong shape to manoeuvre safely inside a carriage.
These problems mean that some companies have trains that cannot carry scooters so if you are a scooter-user who wants to travel by rail, you should contact the train company to check they can safely accommodate your scooter.
Please remember to contact the train company to confirm that all the stations and trains you want to use are accessible. If you require assistance please let them know at least 24 hours in advance.
Useful information from the Government on Mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs is available here.

I know none of this is going to make you feel better, but I just thought I should prepare you for very little joy if you do complain.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby millymoodoo » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:17 am

Hi all

Thatk you for your replies. My scooter is a mobile scooter that folds up in the boot of the car, it is approx 29kg total weight as the battery is very small. It is easily folded down just like a pushchair and would be the size of the avverage size pushchair.

[quote="toplessbug"]I use a boot scooter on my railway, it's only a 5 mins journey but it's 30 by road. Anyway they let me to ride on sit on for journey and ride off.
They are really good.

Roughly where are you in the country? By train from where i live its 15mins to the seaside and by car its about 50mins and as i have a disabled railcard which in my area gives me free local rail travel it wouldnt cost a fortune to take Milly to the seaside for the day. It amazes me my council give me a free railcard and i cant use it, it also covers buses but that is impossible, i just thought that the train would be a better option and of course Milly goes free too, so it would only cost getting Milly and i an icecream lol!!!! I have emailed my mp though i dont expect to get anywhere really, i just dont want to lose what bit of fight i have left.

Milly :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:
millymoodoo
UKFM Member

Postby AvrilMcd » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi we have used great western train successfully with a "boot scooter" but rang their disability tel no. First to book. They are definitely the GREAT Western railway.
They booked us from Dorking to Cornwall changing @ Reading , got to Dorking only to find 16 steps to the platform :( rang the same telephone number and they paid for a taxi to take us Reading 1 hours journey away! At Reading we had missed the train we should have caught so we were given £10 and advised to get a coffee and someone would collect us when the train was due, which they did complete with ramp to drive on and at Cornwall ramps to get off.
Putting the GREAT in Great Western Railway I would thoroughly recommend +++++++
AvrilMcd
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:41 pm

I got a bee in my bonnet about this yesterday so started looking at different stations around where I live, and at others in places we have been to, as you never know what could happen, and I might find myself in a similar position one day. What I found sent me even more :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: as, whilst there is consistency when it comes to electric wheelchairs being allowed on, when it comes to scooters, it's :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Some state in their DPPPs that the only sort of scooters allowed are the fold~up ones. And for someone on a scooter, if they can't manage to fold it up themselves and get on and off the train with it, they also suggest having someone travel with you to help with this. Others tho say that if they are advised a minimum of 24hrs in advance, they can arrange to have someone to help with the folding and putting on the train at the departure point, someone at the destination to provide similar help, and the same for the return journey :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

At other places tho, depending on the time of journey, destination etc scooters may be allowed on, (no mention of them being the fold~up type only) but that a minimum of 24hrs before travelling, to contact the station/railbods to check that it will be OK for the scooter to go on the train :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I ended shutting pinki~pooter down after this as I was confuzzled and flusterated and all the :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: had actually given me a :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1: :hit1:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LouLou » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Oh Milly that's just awful!

I know how much you would have been looking forward to that outing too and how much Milly Doglet loves the seaside. I don't have ny more to add to what the others have said except that me and Belle send our bestest wufferings to those norty people making you feel that way.

xxx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby toplessbug » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:55 pm

millymoodoo wrote:Hi all

Thatk you for your replies. My scooter is a mobile scooter that folds up in the boot of the car, it is approx 29kg total weight as the battery is very small. It is easily folded down just like a pushchair and would be the size of the avverage size pushchair.

toplessbug wrote:I use a boot scooter on my railway, it's only a 5 mins journey but it's 30 by road. Anyway they let me to ride on sit on for journey and ride off.
They are really good.

Roughly where are you in the country? By train from where i live its 15mins to the seaside and by car its about 50mins and as i have a disabled railcard which in my area gives me free local rail travel it wouldnt cost a fortune to take Milly to the seaside for the day. It amazes me my council give me a free railcard and i cant use it, it also covers buses but that is impossible, i just thought that the train would be a better option and of course Milly goes free too, so it would only cost getting Milly and i an icecream lol!!!! I have emailed my mp though i dont expect to get anywhere really, i just dont want to lose what bit of fight i have left.

Milly :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:
:blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Hi well I'm in Leicester so not to close to the sea [DISAPPOINTED FACE].

Sent with gentle hugs xxxx
toplessbug
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia