Advice please, end of tether

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Advice please, end of tether

Postby felinefine » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:10 pm

Hi All

I am back at the docs tomorrow, I was taking off of Pregabilin 2 weeks ago and have previously taken amitriptyline which I found made me to zombiefied. I'm not sure where to go from here. I've been taking paracetamol and tramadol regularly but still in pain to the extent that my daily living is far to affected.

Before my stroke in July I had regular painful flare ups but now I have continuous pain, the last few days have been unbearable, my hands are terribly affected so sore and numb at the same time. The only thing that relieves me is a hot bath. I can hardly sleep anymore, no position is comfortable.

The Doc last time said we would talk about physio and whether a pain management clinic would help. Has this helped anyone here?

My manager phoned today and has said they want to meet with me with HR on 20/11 and advised me that I should get a union rep to attend. I'm really scared. My cert runs out on 22/11 but can't imagine at the mo that I can return to a very busy stressful job.

I feel so upset and sad at the moment since July my life has changed so drastically, as soon as I'm on my own I just sit and cry x
felinefine
UKFM Member

Re: Advice please, end of tether

Postby denys » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:44 pm

Not sure what to say to you, I know you have posted before about things that are going on in your life but put them separately, All I would say is :-
1. Make a list of your symptomsfor your doc, especially any new ones and maybe look on the NHS website for recommended medication used for treating fibro and see if any would be more suitable
2. Try the alternative treatments being offered, doesnt really matter whether they have helped anyone else as we are all different and something that has/hasnt worked for someone else might or might not work for you. You have nothing to lose by trying and possibly everything to gain
3. Take your union rep with you to the meeting making sure they are completely up to date with your position
4. Try to stop stressing over your situation both health and work as this is only going to make you worse and sometimes we have to accept that we cant control certain outcomes etc. but we can control our response to it

Hopefully things will be brought under control and you will start to feel better soon :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby felinefine » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:50 pm

Thank you Denys

I get confused about where to post what and find it so hard to track anything, thanks for your advice. I think that's the trouble we all react differently to meds and other help and all have such different symptoms etc.

I feel such a nuisance to people now I've always been fiercely independent. I'm so grateful for finding this forum and do read it a lot now.

someone once said to me you are not your illness it is one part of you, I struggle to see that at the moment

xx
felinefine
UKFM Member

Postby Tunes » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:00 pm

So sorry to hear your predicament. Im not on any meds any more cos the side effects were too bad so i came off all of them. I went to a pain clinic for a while but they were worse than useless all they were interested in was palming me off wiv yet MORE tablets!!!!! This doesnt help.
This probably isnt helping you but its my experience. Doesnt mean yours will be the same just didnt work for me.
Good luck. X
Tunes
UKFM Member

Postby Catherine3442 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:22 pm

Does anyone know if pain management clinics are any help.
Catherine3442
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:51 pm

felinefine wrote:I get confused about where to post what and find it so hard to track anything, thanks for your advice.

If what you're finding hard to track relates to the forum, if you can tell us what they are and what it is that you find difficult about them to follow, we might be able to give you some ideas about what you could do to make things a little easier.

If you follow Denys's advice about making separate posts for each subject, it might help make it a little easier to find which board is suitable for each topic. So, going on your opening post for this topic, with you starting off with meds, that would be more suited to the Treatments and Medication board. Your question regarding Pain Management/Clinic could go either on the Doctors and Health Services board, esp with you mentioning that you're going back to see your GP or could also be placed on the Treatments and Medication board as quite often, when replying/posting about Pain Management/Clinics, examples of treatments are asked about and/or mentioned/suggested for finding out about.
And for your concerns relating to work, the DWP, Working and Benefits board is the best place. When looking for info about different things, splitting that down into individual parts as well may make it easier to find things out. So, for info relating to different meds and/or treatments to ask your GP about, looking thru some of the topics on the Treatments and Medication board may give you some ideas to ask about.

There's no need to feel that you're a nuisance, we all understand how things can be as we have all had our own experiences of where you are finding yourself at the moment. Whilst being aware of future appts etc is necessary, if you can put them to the back of things, and focus on getting thru the current day, or even the current part of a day, or even an hour at a time, it can help make things a little more manageable. And as things become that little bit easier to manage, you'll find yourself starting to make your way out of this bleakness and heading towards something a little more lighter and brighter :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby denys » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:59 pm

As I said before some people feel they are great but others have had mixed success with fibro you have to take the plunge and try what is on offer as much as possible. No one can say whether or not something is going to work for someone else.

Generally pain clinics are multidisciplinary, with medication, psychology, physio etc.
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:17 pm

Same sort of advice from me as well :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'm current under Pain Management which has given me access to additional treatments and things. At the moment I'm having acupuncture which I'm absolutely loving as, in a matter of 5 weeks, it has helped me feel a lot more comfortable than I have done for a long, long time. Whilst my pain levels haven't noticeably dropped, when things start to flare, they aren't reaching quite the same intensity at quite the manic sort of speeds they were prior to being punctured. It's also helping my IBS, and I find that the benefits of that happening ripples out and helps me deal with the other cruddyness in a far better way as well. I'm also starting a Pain Management Program thru them, and I have some sessions with a physio arranged as well. I'm not exactly sure what these will entail, so am approaching them with my mind as open as it can be and will be taking from them what I can to add to my bag of tricks, as I work on the basis that even the smallest thing I can get from something will be of benefit to me in some way, shape or form :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:44 pm

awww hun ,bless you but your not alone.the thing most of us find is we never really get free of pain its how you deal with it that matters.easy said i no how do u cope when your cant move.mind set you have to have that well power dont give up.as for work i had the same as you and they were doing what they could to help me . they did get fed up of me off work but they cant do a thing as long as you talk to your dr and you got your cert, if your not ready for work dont go tell the dr.i was off for two years before i left work .they cant sack you love so dont worry you never asked for this illness no one does.stand your comer make your points ie u want your job you just need your meds sorted .so id say dr first ask about other pills and then say your not ready for work also tell them about meeting as they can wright you a letter explaining everything thats going on for you, thats what i did. xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby felinefine » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 pm

FluppyPuffy wrote:
felinefine wrote:I get confused about where to post what and find it so hard to track anything, thanks for your advice.

If what you're finding hard to track relates to the forum, if you can tell us what they are and what it is that you find difficult about them to follow, we might be able to give you some ideas about what you could do to make things a little easier.

If you follow Denys's advice about making separate posts for each subject, it might help make it a little easier to find which board is suitable for each topic. So, going on your opening post for this topic, with you starting off with meds, that would be more suited to the Treatments and Medication board. Your question regarding Pain Management/Clinic could go either on the Doctors and Health Services board, esp with you mentioning that you're going back to see your GP or could also be placed on the Treatments and Medication board as quite often, when replying/posting about Pain Management/Clinics, examples of treatments are asked about and/or mentioned/suggested for finding out about.
And for your concerns relating to work, the DWP, Working and Benefits board is the best place. When looking for info about different things, splitting that down into individual parts as well may make it easier to find things out. So, for info relating to different meds and/or treatments to ask your GP about, looking thru some of the topics on the Treatments and Medication board may give you some ideas to ask about.

There's no need to feel that you're a nuisance, we all understand how things can be as we have all had our own experiences of where you are finding yourself at the moment. Whilst being aware of future appts etc is necessary, if you can put them to the back of things, and focus on getting thru the current day, or even the current part of a day, or even an hour at a time, it can help make things a little more manageable. And as things become that little bit easier to manage, you'll find yourself starting to make your way out of this bleakness and heading towards something a little more lighter and brighter :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

Thank you so much for the explanation my lovely, makes sense for now :crazy: I have been to the docs and referred back to rheumatology as urgent, pain management clinic as said about acupuncture etc and I've seen that you have said that helps :-) To stay just on paracetamol for now with the tramadol but will try other natural stuff to, I do meditate, hot baths essential oils

Thanks again :blowkiss:
felinefine
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:58 pm

If you are able to have acupuncture, or any other treatment, try to go into it with an open mind, and ideally not too many expectations either. That way, if benefits prove to me minimal, you haven't set yourself up to be too disappointed. And with the open mind, any benefit, no matter how small, will help lift you a little as, whilst it may only be a baby step that you have made, but it is a baby step in the right direction, and one less needed to get you to that better point you're aiming for :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby felinefine » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Thank you Fluppypuffy, I will have an open mind and will try anything, and accept there may only me small steps. I have been trained in Reikara healing, and Animal reiki so I am into trying 'alternative' treatments'

The Doctor did say about trying anti depressants for my low mood but I want to avoid them, I'm low because of the pain I'd rther work on that. I know they have their place but not for me at the mo

x
felinefine
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:33 pm

Some anti~ds, like Amitriptyline that you tried previously, can help with the pain side as well as the mood side of things. However, it can take a few tries of different ones to find what suits. So whilst you're wanting to avoid them at the moment and explore other treatments, don't discount them completely. Instead, keep them at the back of things as a possibility, depending on how things go with other meds and treatments and remedies you may try. It's not unusual to have quite a varied range of different things in your cocktail to help with getting thru the FibroDays :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby felinefine » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:45 pm

I will keep them in mind, I'm not discounting them completely just not at the moment. I have had personal history of them before. I know they have a really important place sometimes, I haven't got a stigma against them, I think my sister thought I did. It's not that at all. :cat2: I like this cat :)
felinefine
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Nov 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Just watch out for the :dogrun1: where :cat2: is concerned as this tends to happen :dogchasecat1:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia