Trauma triggers FM??

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Trauma triggers FM??

Postby felinefine » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:14 pm

I have been having a browse around other sites and you tube, I watched a video on you tube which states that FM is bought on by a trauma and says they are a physical/emotional/chemical trauma. My niece has been advised that hers stems from Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) I'm not aware of any trauma that may have triggered mine, I have had major surgery, major emotional upset and now the stroke in July, since which my FM is decidedly worse would this?

The video also said that the trauma, the cause, needs to be treated not the symptoms as all the drugs taken are just adding more chemicals to our systems and these will only harm us

I found it a bit controversial and I know there are members on here that have been diagnosed for much longer than me and due to that will have more knowledge. I'm just wondering what other peoples views are on this?

I hope this is in the right place eeeeek :oops:

xx
felinefine
UKFM Member

Re: Trauma triggers FM??

Postby sensualitykj » Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:56 pm

Hey, the Rhuematologist who diagnosied me said that FM is often brought on by trauma. He also said someone who has had a traumatic childhood is more likely to develop FM. I had a traumatic childhood, also prior to the onset of FM in 2003 my brother suddenly passed away which resulted in me being treated for depressed, and 6 months later I had a car crash and I've been in pain ever since! Interesting about medication making things worse, I don't get on with most medication.
Be in the present moment. The past is a memory, the future isn't here yet. So enjoy the NOW!
sensualitykj
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:25 pm

The exact cause of FM has yet to be absolutely, definitely and categorically identified. The things that are bounced around as to the cause of the condition are ideas and theories at the moment, each with their own anecdotal evidence, and each could be a contributing factor in their own way.

If you have a look across the boards, you'll see that a good number of us have experienced trauma in some way, be it physical, emotional, chemical or a mix of everything.

In my case, it is thought that a broken neck as a result of a crash with a bus could well have been a trigger. However, the cause, ie. my broken neck, was treated pretty successfully, so the only option left for me is to try and manage my symptoms. And whilst the meds I take are definitely adding chemicals to my body, I know full well that without them I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. Plus they are the only option available to me due to somewhat extreme reactions to the herbaly, complimentary treatments and remedies.

There are many, many, many thoughts as to what is behind FM, some sound perfectly logical whereas others may be considered much more extreme. Wanting to know the cause of what you have is not only understandable, but also part of the process we go thru as we learn to live the lives we now have. Just try to be mindful that they are still ideas, theories and possibilities at the moment, altho hopefully it won't always be the case :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby soraya1968 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:01 pm

i believe mine is from trauma, first car crash then lost dad and mom within 18 months both with cancer and bad treatment of them by so called medical profession. then almost got divorced from the stress i was under from my loss and tryin ro sell parents house, my first home and buy my own home. i think i totally exhausted myself now i can not and dont want to deal with anything even making a dentist appointment seems too much. i just want a easy relaxing life now and know that is impossible. my whole body hurts and most the time i feel down but something inside will not let me give in, so i think that there is a cure somewhere. if i got this way through my mind then i believe i can heal myself if i can stop the feelings a nd thoughts which i think caused this. i think i have a over sensitive personality which i think may be changed in a w ay that becomes more self protecting. you have to look after yourself first or you are no good for anyone else thats what i have to learn to do. i do kundalini yoga which i think does help me and it is something for myself. :-)
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Additional punctuation added for easier reading.
soraya1968
UKFM Member

Postby felinefine » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:31 am

soraya1968 wrote:if i got this way through my mind then i believe i can heal myself if i can stop the feelings a nd thoughts which i think caused this. i think i have a over sensitive personality which i think may be changed in a w ay that becomes more self protecting. you have to look after yourself first or you are no good for anyone else thats what i have to learn to do. i do kundalini yoga which i think does help me and it is something for myself. :-)

Thank you and to fluppypuffy for responses. I had a year of trauma, my ex was un faithful (I'd cared for him for years with bi-polar), we separated, had to buy the house from him, lots of gastro tests, then a hysterectomy. Not sure if that was the trigger time.

I am far more sensitive now not only to myself but anything around me. I agree with self protecting, I do meditate and do enjoy a spiritual life use crystals and angel cards. I joined the RSPB today and walked round a reserve, I love nature, it took me ages and was very slow and am suffering now but I needed it. I know I couldn't do without meds at the mo, they are keeping me moving

Fluppypuffy I understand why you are saying be mindful, there are some strange views out there, but this is the best place I have found so far for listening and sharing sensible thoughts. xx
felinefine
UKFM Member

Postby Sye » Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:19 pm

I've noticed that my symptoms have increased significantly since my mother died last year, but I was having symptoms beforehand just not as many nor as often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am, and always will be
The Optimist,
The Hoper
Of Far-Flung Hopes,
The Dreamer
Of Improbable Dreams.
Sye
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:39 pm

I can trace mine back to a bad bout of flu about 8 years ago - not trauma.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby becbob » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:09 pm

I am unable to trace mine. I had a great childhood. I haven't been in an accident or had any physical trauma. I have had IBS for 15 years and I have suffered really bad with it but I've always coped through it. I have had my gall bladder removed as I had gall stones that caused me to be hospitalised on numerous occasions and I had my appendix removed 3 years ago but I always recovered fully. It has been coming on slowly for the past year and I always thought it was just something I did or some cold or flu. I would recover to some degree but a couple of months ago I suddenly realised things were getting worse. I am 37 and I thought I shouldn't be feeling like this all the time. Went to my doctors and she was brilliant. She diagnosed me pretty much straight away. I am on lots of medication now but not really finding it very helpful. I am on-
Tramadol-50mg x2 a day
Amiltriptaline-10mg x1 a day at night
Dihydrocodeine-50mg x2 a day in afternoon
Oramorph-10mg Every 2 hours if needed.
I am going back to her next week as she says it's probably gonna take a while to find a good combination.
Really going through such a bad time now and I have an appointment with the CAB on Friday to see what my options are with regards to work.
I have found this illness the most traumatic and stressful thing I have ever encountered. Maybe I am just one of the people that just get it.
Never judge on looks alone. Real beauty comes from with in.
becbob
UKFM Member

Postby soraya1968 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:17 pm

i would think that operations are traumatic to the body as well as the nerves, i would be so afraid of any sort of operation. i think women are worriers, mainly in my own experiance any way, and that may cause the situation where this fm can start. i have also heard alot of people say they had flu or swine flu or flu jab before the onset of the symptoms. all of this should be looked it to as if the cause was found then surely a cure would be a sure thing . i also find that exercise helps me aerobic and weights, it is just getting the motivation and energy, but when i do i dont really feel worse. if i dont do anything it plays on my mind cause i seem to be putting on so much weight with the meds. i would like to do without them at some point. maybe there is a positive in having this, i have always believed that the mind starts the illness so it might be our bodies way of slowing us down although a lot of days it does just make me STOP completely, so that might be wishful thinking cause then i feel guilty for being so tierd no winning :crazy:
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Punctuation for easier reading.
soraya1968
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:57 am

I had an accident that fractured my neck is what the Dr's say triggered the fibro in me. I just never got rid of the pain and stiffness.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:01 am

SchroedingersCat wrote:I can trace mine back to a bad bout of flu about 8 years ago - not trauma.

A flu is trauma to your body.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby SchroedingersCat » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:43 am

Agreed, whoami, however in the context of FM, 'trauma' is usually considered to be an accident, a broken bone, or surgery, etc or a severe mental health episode, not a bout of flu, hence my comment. Very few people trace their FM back to a viral illness, as far as I can tell from my reading online, although with ME it appears to be much more usual.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:35 pm

You are right, the flu is a low likely cause. When at the hospital I was informed that any trauma to the body could trigger fibro. Anything that caused a disruption to the body, accident, mental stress, illness was all considered stress on the body. One woman there had been perfectly healthy for years. She got an inner ear infection and never fully recovered. The infection was gone but she was left with the pain as well as unusual symptoms for an ear infection. She was diagnosed with having fibro.

We really don't know what triggersfibro in our bodies. I don't think we will until we have a cure and can then trace things backwards.

It doesn't matter to me how I got it really.....I wish all of us had never heard the word fibromyalgia. Wrong, I wish we all had never presented the awful symptoms of fibro.

Gentle hugs to all!
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia