A Question for all

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

A Question for all

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi there,
I've been chatting with a good friend and fellow fibro sufferer in Australia and comparing symptoms and lives from childhood on brought us to wondering just how many of us who suffer went through abuse in life and depression and what age we believe it started and what age we finally got help? I went through abuse from an early age and my depression started at 8 and they finally diagnosed it at 21

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Re: A Question for all

Postby olwynam1 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:24 am

I also have had a lot of trauma throughout my life starting in childhood, bullying by my grandmother from as early as I can remember until her death when I was 11 yrs, father died when aged 7 yrs, several other bereavements of family & friends, bullying at school & in work place, sexual harrassment, abusive relationships, car accident, hepatitus as a teenager, house fire all before I was diagnosed 16yrs ago. I too have had depression since childhood from about aged 7yrs and was experienced pain in my legs and arms from time to time but told my pain was growing pains.
It was once suggested to me by a consultant that FM was thought to be due to the result of experiencing severe trauma(s) or a virus but that there was no proper evidence just a correlation.
It would be interesting to know if others with FM can relate to this question. xx
olwynam1
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:15 am

Hi there.
Thank you for sharing, from here and Facebook the numbers who have been through early years trauma continuing through to adulthood and depression for as many years too seen to be ranging in the 96% region. It's almost like our fight or flight switch is stuck to on. And the body has gone into melt down from the constant high level of stress this causes and the continual over working of the adrenal gland.
Another thing that myself and my friend are mulling over is holistically treating this illness from the inside out starting with mental wellbeing rather than with the physical symptoms we'll let you know what we find out xx

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Postby Tunes » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:50 am

Yep same here mine started about aged 8/9 thru till bout 14 then there was a brk. Then anuva trauma from 23 thru till i was 30 and in this spell of time i suffered bad panic attacks and depression. But they have said it could be triggered by trauma ive read that a couple of times.
Tunes
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:11 am

I think depressing is the thing that many of us seem to have in common. However my mother was diagnosed with none nodular rheumatoid arthritis, the old name for Fibromyagia, when she was about 50 after battling and winning a cancer scare, she is now 83 and is in better health than i am at 50. Her mother died when she was 9 and her father married a drunk, although he didn't know it at the time, who my mother hated until her step mother's dying day. I believe there is an element of genetics involved, which the don't yet understand. Does that mean that they can stop it from happening? Probably not!

I think i have suffered with depression all my life and still do. I have stopped trying to explain why i want to walk under a moving bus every day but concentrate on telling myself that it's not what i really want to do. I have been bullied and abused all my life by people outside my family and those within my family too. However i have had the same upbringing as my siblings and they don't have FMS nor depression. Even my sister who's daughter died in an head-on collision 4 yrs ago at the age of 21.

Is there a cure? Yes and no, on one hand I think so but it's not pills and potions, it is more counselling and belief that you don't deserve to feel like this every day, but when you are depressed it's a very difficult battle to win. So for now i take my pills and live each day as it comes and try not to get too close to the side of the road.

:grouphug: :hugs: Beverley xx
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Catherine3442 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:27 pm

I have been depressed all my life. I was sexually abused by my father till the age of 12, the my mother and brother bullied me till the age of 19.
Catherine3442
UKFM Newbie

Postby debsmith » Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Hia all
What a interesting post! I had a wonderful childhood my parents were amazing! A very happy home even now my parents are awsome!!! But then I met my now EX husband who was a B!!!!!!!! Say no more got divorced then my son had drug problems etc the stress was awful I lived on adrenilin!!! He's now 12months clean!!!! Then 1 day got out of a car slipped disc then just kept going from bad to worse health wize I lived on my nerves too so I guess it could b a trigger I don't know if any reasearch has been done on it? Hugs guys xxxxx
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:41 am

i grow up with very depressed mother and father . father was and still is manic .love them both dearly but growing up was very hard going.i thinks got worse for me when my marriage broke down and my brother killed himself 8 days after his wife died. what made it worse it they planned it there wasn't ill. well not body wise.my dad has since tired it a few times and i think that's made me far worse then i was. so yes i guess from teens years for me.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby wheelz_of_fire » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:18 am

I was physically and sexually abused when I was a child from the age of 1 to 10 years old. My abuser pushed me against a door when I was 10 which resulted in me splitting my head open. When my mother discovered it, she packed me and her up and left. I do not have a good relationship with my mother as she maintains that she 'didn't know' about the abuse, even though she was actually there at the time.
I think one of the reasons I developed Fibromyalgia was because I was in a constant fight or flight mode as a child. My system decided that that mode was normal and has stuck there. I know that today I find it extremely hard to relax, in fact, I don't think I can relax..
wheelz_of_fire
UKFM Member

Postby Butterfly8588 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:31 am

I'm sorry to read about all your stories, i cant imagine how some of you coped with what you've been through xxxx
I dont have anything nearly so dramatic (thankfully), i have wonderful parents. My problems came about when i hit puberty. I had growing pains and i was always extremely clumsy but these things got worse when i hit puberty. I also started getting really tired and i was bullied at school. I could never get up in time for school no matter how much sleep i had, always had nightmares and vivid dreams.
I've also had this thing where i never feel safe. For as long as i remember, even as a child, i constantly think someone is going to attack me and I'm on high alert. It doesnt matter where i am, whether outside or even in my own bedroom i just dont feel safe. I'm also afraid of the dark. I know it's stupid and theres no reason for it but there it is. So in a weird way you could say I'm in 'fight or flight' mode but it seems to be of my own making!
I'm the ghost of a girl that I want to be most, I'm the shell of a girl that I used to know well.
Butterfly8588
UKFM Member

Postby helen.whittaker.125 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:39 am

Ty we all seem to have that basic survival mode kick in during school, or not long after. I wonder if any research has been done into the abuse connection as we all seemed to have gone through it at some point to a degree that has us stuck in that fight or flight mode. As one lady said so perfectly "living ion our nerves". I'm also beginning to think there may be a cure out there but as another of you said, "counciling" or something more holistic, as the chemical medication doesn't seem to touch it.
Have any of you tried any other treatments? I've had some acupuncture but the price is too high to go regularly.

BB Helen xx
BB Helen x
helen.whittaker.125
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia