ME

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

ME

Postby Fibro Fi » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:05 pm

Hi there,
Have any of you been diagnosed with ME too?
I got diagnosed with FMS last year but have had it since I was 18 after a hip/ back injury. My fatigue started in October 2009 after I had a tooth removed and had a subsequent infection. It all got so bad i collapsed at work. After having several courses of antibiotics I then got flu and lost my voice twice. Struggled with colds etc all through the winter. Then collapsed 6 months later. Hardly surprising as i had my own business and was working a 70 our week!
Anyway, 3 years on and the fatigue although not as acute as at the start, is my main complaint. The consultant Rheumatologist said last yer that it was FMS as that was my main symptom. And yes I have pain everyday and its quite bad at n moment, but my fatigue is so bad too and i find it more debilitating. I' know the symptoms are very similar, but even though I've had FMS for 20 years before diagnosis I hadn't suffered the fatigue as I have in the pat 31/2 years.
Should I ask the dr to consider a diagnosis of ME too or just leave it? Advice welcomed. My gut instinct is saying that I have ME too.
Fibro Fi
UKFM Member

Re: ME

Postby SuzyVB » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Yes my GP has said I have ME/CFS as well as unlike most fibro sufferers I sleep 15 hrs in every 24.
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby TATT » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:33 pm

I got diagnosed with ME/CfS in 2009 by a consultant from the ME clinic, in my blood she found I had had glandular fevers and another bad virus. I was 43 and suddenly it all made sense, struggling as a 19/20 yr old to get up for work.

Struggling as a single mum not able to take kids a school as I thought I had flu on and off, always having swollen glands and to tired to clean the house. All these things I beat myself up for as I thought I was lazy and dirty. So the diagnosis was a relief and now I have less guilt when it kicks in.

Fibro kicked in shortly after and I spent most of three years in bed. Pain was agonising but has gradually got better or at least I am managing it better. I used to feel the pain was worse and it was, even though during that time I could not sometimes move. But now it's the fatigue that gets me because the pain I can push through and take more pain killers but when I push my fatigue comes and I am literally f----d.

It can last a day or months I never know, it's a double whammy, I start to go walking in the swimming pool to build up my strength and muscles, do it a little to. Much and then it's a week in bed. I have no discipline with this fatigue I can't get any routine in place as I don't know from one minute to the next how I am going to feel. Now it's turning colder my pain is back. Aching joints and pain in hips Knesset buttocks shoulder elbows wrists fingers and neck.

Sorry I have just realised I am ranting. But I would ask for a diagnosis only because it justifies things even though with fm you get the fatigue too but with ME your floored.
TATT
UKFM Member

Postby juliamary » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:39 pm

I Have had the worst flare up ever, and now, all I can do is sleep, I have to sleep because I have to get up tomorrow. Bummer xx
juliamary
UKFM Newbie

Postby MichelleJ » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:25 pm

Yes I do. I got given a double diagnosis of fibromyalgia and Cfs/m.e. Both pain and fatigue are very severe for me but I find the pain easier to deal with. Fatigue I just can't x
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby mandymoomoo » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:47 am

I've had Fibro since childhood and I'm 45 now, so it's been a long time (diagnosed early 20s). I managed to work part time with the help of meds up until 4 years ago when I got Swine Flu which the consultant said has left me with ME. As someone mentioned it's a double wammy which has left me totally incapacitated and has exasperated all my Fibro symptoms with no sign of getting any better. To all who are suffering...my heart goes out to you. Try and stay as posstive as possible and be kind to yourself, good wishes x
mandymoomoo
UKFM Newbie

Postby tabithakat64 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:03 pm

I've had ME since i was 18 and was diagnosed last year age 34 with FM.
tabithakat64
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia