Fibromyalgia.Is it too easy?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Re: Fibromyalgia.Is it too easy?

Postby fibro-lu » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:19 pm

that's a good one whoami
like the possitivity

whoami wrote: I hope that everyone who has a chronic illness, dances when they can, travels when they can but more importantly live!
all the best :cow-wave: Lu
Mind over Matter: in mind I'm Wonderwoman - in matter, well, - don't mind, doesn't matter
fibro-lu
UKFM Regular

Postby sensualitykj » Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:31 pm

Fibro_hell wrote:Thanks for the replys :)
But i still need to get across my point that i KNOW people i am talking about are faking.It is not a matter of people with Fibro having varying degrees of symptoms.I know this!
What i am on about it people who know you can fake Fibro and they have and do...
As in they heard about Fibro and decided to attempt to get diagnosed for the sole purpose of benefits.So when i talk about people going out and enjoying themselves doing things i could never ever do its not just because my case is quite severe.
So when i said "Has Fibro became the go to diagnosis for a quick and easy way to an easy life on Benefits? To me it sure seems so." I mean it.There are people faking and using it,it is NOT a matter of them having less severe symptoms and it is a FACT that they are abusing the system using FIbromyalgia as the scape goat.
I know 99.9% of people are genuine and suffer in varying ways but this 0.1% is giving us all a bad name and it annoys me,does it not annoy you?!

If someone can paste this on facebook that would be great :)

Hey, I've just pasted this on facebook for you. I've not met anyone who I've thought to be faking FM, however it doesn't surprise me at all!!
Be in the present moment. The past is a memory, the future isn't here yet. So enjoy the NOW!
sensualitykj
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:16 am

well time for my two penneth :lol: i just love faking it :nono: think i must be

work 45 hours lifting heavy tyres and wrapping pallets , whell heavey barrows of wood at home , fell and cut up trees, split wood with a 7 pound maul. can walk 4 miles in an hour .
do any thing i could do 20 years ago. do all my own diy and decorating travel abroad every year , love rollercosters ,if you saw me you would know im fakeing it for sure.

??? 40 years of severe low back pain , 10 years of chest pain jaw pain arm pain ,hand pain. sinus issues acid reflux , hip and leg pain
incredable morning stiffness teeth ach thats still there after theeth removed, foot pain on standing anxity and panic attacks , tiredness
consatant vistits to doc to find out whats going on , years of not being belived , foargetfullness and thinking im going made or dyeing
( sound familer)

tests scans and more tests then waho dx of fibro , a year of feeling sorry for my self , learned how to pace , then started to do more physicale things agian and ignor the pain :yikes: now when im active it hurts less then sitting or laying down .

am i still in pain every hour of every day , YES I AM , am i fakeing it ? if you saw me out you may think i am ,, but i wish was :lol: :lol:

why the hell would any body want to fake fm , its not as though thers much help out there any way ,

tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:49 am

Tony.......I applaud you!

As I read your post I was wincing and tearing up thinking of how you feel cutting wood, pulling pallets and walking like you do. I felt all of it.

I still try to do everything I could 25 years ago. I was deemed unfit for work so I was permanently pensioned off at 30
I garden, travel, camp, hell I even hiked around the Hole of Horcum in Yorkshire. I do these things , I hurt like the blazes, I may only do them for minutes at a time sometimes hours . I carry needles with me for pain along with Fentanyl so I can try. I have laid in the bottom of a canoe so stiff I couldn't move, hubby lifting me out of the trailer and into the canoe but I wanted to hear the loons on the lake at sunrise.

If someone wanted to think I was faking then that is their issue not mine. As a Dr said....I owe nobody an explanation and neither does anyone else with this illness.

Tony....Like you, I want to live my life. Live the best I can. If we hurt it is our own doing at times but sometimes you just have to.

Tony....you keep on living. Fibromyalgia does not define or own us.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby tonydin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:09 am

who am i long long befor the fm dx gp suggested i was not fit to carry on working , i had thae chance and turned it down agianst his advice , at the time i could not even sit through a film with out haveing to walk out half way trough ,due to back pain , but had young children and had to keep going

after the fm dx and befor his retirement he agreed it would not have been the wright thing to do for me , i really am looking forword to retirement in 3 1/2years though and it will be interesting if i get better or worse i dont feel pain as severe as i did but have much more and varied pain , if you can understand that
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:15 am

who an i wat is a loon???? on the lake ,,, canoes :yikes: :yikes: did a 4 hour frond trip with my son in sardinia this summer
phew that was hell but afterwards when he had to drag me out and sit me down to recover , could not walk for an hour :nono: :nono: i was so glad i did it
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:24 am

Tony....a loon is a water bird, similar to a duck . They are beautiful birds. We love being out on the lakes in northern Ontario, either on our boat or in the canoe.

Tony....I had an accident at work. I went through the whole program with workers compensation. Due to my injuries I could no longer do my job. Workers compensation would not retrain me due to the restrictions. They said nobody would hire me and that I would not have any type of gainful employment. They pensioned me off giving me 100% of my pay until I am 65. When I reach 65 it is automatically switched over to a different pension. The accident at work is what triggered fibro. I never fully healed from some injuries. There are times when I wish I was at work but then after I do too much, over compensate on good days I know why I am at home.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby whoami » Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:48 am

Tony......I am sure when you retire you will be just as active and positive as you are now. You will be travelling all over with your wife and family.

I do believe that our attitude plays a big part in how we feel. I know some people sit back and feel sorry for themselves and don't try to help themselves. We can do a little bit of something and it can make such a difference.

Tony.....I would love to start a topic.....I can and I did!

Evey day we try something that we didn't think we could do but did.

I wonder how many of us .....could and did!
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby tonydin » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:06 am

who am i now had i had an accident that i could have pinned my originiak back pain down to , i would have done the same , although in uk you would have to sue to get any compensation
as it was i had to keep going . and i found the more i did the better things were , i was even told i would be in a wheel chiar at 50 if i did not have an operation , i declined and and im not .

fibro seems to always have a trigger mine was emotional when my brother died at 29 when i was 16 , and then years of chronoc back pain due to commpressed nerve on l5 s1 sealed it and fibro took over . anfd now i had worse pain all over than the origianal back pain

wotse thing for any chronic pain condition is th sit and lay down to much , or to do TO much which varies depending on an individuals fittness . lose the fittness because due to the pain and its a black road to hell ( i know i travelled it for a while
)
back on topic as yet and its been 2 years scince the dx i have only met 1 other with fibro. and she was working in a shop
when i was young i knew people with chronic rumitisam ( now fibro) and my mother had fibrosites( now called fibro) so its nothing new
is fibro to easy to fake NO
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:52 am

I can't really imagine how anyone could fake it. Even those who scan over medical sites and read symptoms, just so they can present an illness, can't fake it good enough and long enough to fool any Dr.

It isn't a matter of saying, yes, touch me here, here and there and I really hurt. I always say you can see peoples pain in their eyes. I think someone would get so confused trying to remember how each and every symptom of fibro fit together.

Also...if they were somehow prescribed medication, that alone would weed out a fake. Can you imagine how a person would look and act if prescribed a strong pain medication? If your pain receptors were not using the medication you would be presenting all the symptoms of over medicated.

Even though I am receiving excellent money being at home, I would give it all up in a wink if I had my old body back. I guess having my mind work properly either wouldn't be a bad idea, LOL
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Diane64 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 5:55 pm

Hmmm I would like to know how to claim DLA PIP etc with having fibro never mind faking symptoms...if I could give up work I would or even work part time but I just cant afford to..would not even try to put a claim in right now to be told NO you are not unwell enough..it takes a long time to get a diagnosis and highly likely get misdiagnosed for long enough prior to being told you have it, is it not the case a lot of sufferers get their claim dismissed?? I just cant think how this can be the case, ive never heard of it being so...I might look like a fake most days but inside I am in complete agony but just do my best to put a face on, smile and bear it.
Diane64
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:58 pm

:mrgreen: spot on diane , like you id love to stop work , but even as bad as i feel im to fit to get benifits
tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:03 pm

Don't forget DLA/PIP isn't about what illness/condition you have it's about how your life and mobility are affected. I get DLA & didn't have to appeal.
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:06 pm

Also DLA/PIP isn't only for those that don't work it's for anyone. ESA is for those that can't work but after the first year is means tested. Trust me no-one is going to get rich claiming DLA.
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:26 pm

So true. I'm still only on the ESA assessment rate. Been like that since my SSP ran out over a year ago. Living in London means extremely long waiting times. It's not much, I'm lucky to have a friend who takes me to her place near the sea sometimes or I wouldn't be able to go anywhere.

It doesn't make sense to me why anyone would fake it to get benefits. Yes, I did like sleeping in when I was at work and was always looking forward to holidays. Why? Because I could recharge and needed to. Now with not being able to work you could say I have all the time to recharge. But that's not how it works. I have Fibro and for me it means I'm lucky if I am able to get sleep.

The pain wakes me up at night, it makes me look pale and I have dark circles under my eyes. When I do things like walking to look at shops or near the beach on good days, I want to enjoy but in the back of my head I already know what's gonna happen. I'll pay for it and will feel worse for the rest of the week. Still, these days are what keep me going. They stop me from hating life so much that I'd give it up.

It doesn't matter how much sleep I'm able to get, that feeling of a nice long and refreshing sleep isn't there anymore. All sleep does these days is keep my body from preparing to shut down completely.

No, I don't think anyone can keep up their story long enough to fool doctors. And all it does is make life harder for us here who are suffering. It causes more stress because doctors and places like jobcentre don't believe us when we say we'd love to but right now we are not well enough for work.

I miss my old life. I enjoyed being at work, it gave me a purpose and the benefit of independence because I earned money and could do things. Even if it was just going to the movies. I knew it would be a fun day out, no consequences. Fibro took away that independence, took away my friends and makes me feel less human. Sure there might be people who consider faking it but like it was mentioned on here, you can see it in someone's eyes if they are making it up.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

PreviousNext

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia