Cold drinks and mouthwash causing pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Cold drinks and mouthwash causing pain

Postby Karou » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Hi,

I haven't been here for a while, sorry about that. Part of me still doesn't want to accept that I have Fibro -not having a good time fighting it because it needs a lot of energy which I don't have. But that's a different story.

Another weird thing is happening. A while ago I've noticed that having a cold drink or using mouthwash is causing a lot of pain. The drink doesn't have to have ice cubes, it could just be water straight from the tap. My mouthwash doesn't have alcohol and is supposed to be for kids as well as adults.

The pain is inside my mouth, starting behind the upper front teeth and goes all the way back. It stops where the softer part of the roof of my mouth begins. It feels like a sharp ice cold burning that will have me nearly screaming and in tears. It doesn't last long, only a few minutes. Feels different to the ice cream headaches I get from eating the stuff too fast.

Did anyone else ever feel like this or knows what it could be?

Even now when I touch the part with my tongue it feels cool, not the normal temperature I'd expect. I'm wondering (warning,crazy Karou-theory incoming!) if it could be something like raynauds? My feet and nose are always cold so I'm not sure if it happens at the same time and my GP didn't want to put me on meds for raynauds.

Oh and I've noticed that my cheeks and nose look flushed...slightly red when it happens.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Cold drinks and mouthwash causing pain

Postby Smurfy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:56 pm

Hi there, yes I have pain from cold water and mouthwash but thought it was just me! I have random red flushing to my hands and face which might be connected to Raynauds. I know how you feel I was diagnosed earlier this year and spend a lot of time trying to ignore it - of course with great difficulty, Fibro obviously doesn't like being ignored! Keep smiling :-D
Smurfy
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:24 am

I have had Raynauds for 30 years and fibro for 25 years. I have never heard of this symptom connected to either fibro or Raynauds.

I would suggest a visit to your Dentist, you could have an issue with your gums.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Karou » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks for your replies. :)

Hmmm yeah I too thought it might just be me but I'm glad it's not. Still, it's frustrating when you know you can eat ice cream but cold drinks are not the best idea. Have you had this for a long time? It's new for me so I'm trying not to scare myself haha Search engines always bring up the worst possible answer it seems so I try to avoid them.

Gum problems...oh dear, I hope not! :( A piece of my lower front tooth broke off two weeks ago. It's not painful but irritating because of the sharp edge on my tongue. Been trying to get an NHS appointment since then but they keep telling me they don't have any left, pleaseccall again tomorrow. sigh Wish I could afford private. Having said that, even the thought of having to go there freaks me out. Can't remember a single visit that didn't hurt, I'm so sensitive and a complete chicken. :(

About this red flushing, you just reminded me that my hands and feet go slightly red too when they're cold again. Or white. But thankfully not blue like my ex-colleague's hands did. Might have to make a list to take with me to the dentist and/or GP. Whichever one thinks they can help.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby Faith12 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:33 pm

I think you would be wise to visit your dentist and get a referral to a consultant who deals with facial pain it could be trigeminal neuralgia.
Faith12
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks Faith, I've added it to the list of questions I want to ask.

Caught a mean cold so it will have to wait a few days but you're right, I need to get it checked. :roll: (scared face)

Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia