Cold and flu season - advice needed please

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Cold and flu season - advice needed please

Postby Karou » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:13 pm

Hi all,

For the past few days I've been feeling rough, it's my first cold since dx so I guess in a way I was lucky. It's a weird one this time. Very sore throat, pain when swallowing and burning pain when I'm not doing anything. There's a feeling as if I have a runny nose in the back of my throat but so far (fingers crossed as I hate it) the nose isn't blocked. I'm taking paracetamol anyway and tyrozets every couple of hours.

Fibro makes me feel weak but I'm feeling even worse now. Didn't think that was possible. Guess Fibro is always happy to teach me a new lesson. What do you do when it hits you? Is there any advice you could share to clear the fuzzy head or deal with even less energy, more pain, brainfog, etc?

I was going to get my flu jab but that will have to wait now. *puts clementines on the forum table for all*
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Cold and flu season - advice needed please

Postby Garyl » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:31 pm

I always have flu jab, due to severe Asthma and more so now due to Fibro, always get it the first weekend its available. Is importantto do so, as flu aches and pains aggrevate Fibro pains 10 fold
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:32 pm

It's bad enough trying to cope with fibromyalgia a virus on top completely wipes me out. All u can do is rest as much as possible :(
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks Garyl and libbiek30. Yep, you're totally right Fibro feels worse with cold and flu. I was told if there's any sign of being ill I can't have the flu jab and need to wait. Just not how long. Wish my brain would work a bit faster, I should've asked.

Been sleeping all day yesterday and night but had to get up to let the builders in. They'll finish lunch time so I gotta hang on till then. And then a hot bath and back to bed.

With the sore skin on my nose I normally use bepanthen (the stuff for baby bottoms lol) but didn't have any. So I've put some Manuka honey lip balm on it and it feels so much better this morning. Just thought I'd share. :-)

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby JYB » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:53 am

Have I just been very lucky? I haven't had a cold for about 12 years. Is this unusual? I'm not having the flu jab this year, I now work at home so less contact with the general public. I'm also a bit worried about the build up of toxins in the flu jab. I've had flu just once about 30 years ago, I thought I was dying!
JYB
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:17 am

Plenty of fluids and rest, use balsam tissues for your nose if possible. Hopefully you will start to feel better after a few days, eat some of those clementines as the vit c will help. Virus's definitely do not go with fibro, add all the aches into the mix and a flare is inevitable but doesnt have to be long lasting :-D :-D :-D

JYB maybe it is the reduced contact and I think we are more aware of our health so maybe take more precautions even subconsciously :-? :-? :-? :-? :-?
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby dejay » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:26 pm

As soon as I feel a cold coming on I take sambucol from a health food shop, it is made from elderberries, I also take vit c, but check that it does not interfear with any meds you may be on,i also like any exscuse to have lots of honey,in hot lemonade, hope you feel better soon, lol
dejay
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:40 pm

Yup I've been suffering all week with a cold/virus. I have been trying to struggle on and keep doing the little I'm able but then last night my body screamed STOP at me as I couldn't digest my dinner & it all came back up :( today I've rested & slept loads as the dreaded muscle & joint aches are here. I've just eaten so going to stay up another 30 mins then going back to bed. Mind you I doubt I'll sleep much tonight as when I have a cold I have to sleep in the spare room so my snoring doesn't disturb my husband & that bed is like concrete. I may sleep on top of the duvet tonight.
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:11 pm

I've stuffed my face with clementines lol Also found more reasonable Manuka honey in aldi. A small jar was 3.99 and since I too like any excuse to use more honey, I've been drinking lots of fresh lemon with honey and had tea instead of coffee.
Felt pretty bleh but a bit more energy now. The expected flare wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but we all could do without them. Never thought I'd say I'm grateful for just moderate pain but I guess that's just one of the things one learns with this condition. :-?

Suzy I feel for you, it was doing the food digesting problem to me and I thought it's stress. Turns out it was but not from the building work here. Still haven't learned to listen to my body properly. Hope you're a bit better today.

Wishing everyone a cold and flu free time. :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby SuzyVB » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:27 pm

Thank you I'm a lot better today as well. 2 days bed rest seen to have got me over the worst of it. I've taken it easy today as well as I have physio tomorrow so I didn't want to overdo it today & not be able to go anywhere tomorrow. Hopefully I've nipped this one in the bud or at least kept it to a mild flare.
SuzyVB
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia