Benefits and fibromyalgia

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Benefits and fibromyalgia

Postby MissTLJ » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:25 pm

Hello

Can anyone help me with my question, I have just recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and I also have multiple sclerosis which I was diagnosed with in June 2003. I already get higher rate mobility DLA, I was just wondering whether I would be entitled to anything else. I do work full time but I am finding it a struggle, a fact that other fellow fibro suffers here will identify with, I am off sick at the moment but I am due to go back to work next week and I really do not know how I am going to manage.

My new recent line manager does not understand how I am feeling I have been signed off for nearly three weeks but she said to me the other week if you feel better, come back to work it won't matter about the sick note (some hope), the reason I have been signed off is I have been suffering a lot recently with a lot of pain and also with the side effects of the medication, for the first week I was prescribed with 10 mg tablets of Amitriptyline but I did not get on with it so my GP last week has now put me on Gabapentin 100 mg but I am feeling really horrible with Gabapentin as well.

The situation with my fibromyalgia I feel is getting worse and my MS is also really kicking in, I have been doing my job for 24 years and I cannot afford to give it up and my employer with the Local Government Pension Scheme Ill Health Retirement Pension makes it very difficult for people to go off on first tier ill health retirement, I work for one of the emergency services in a clerical capacity.

I was thinking if I could get another benefit on top of the DLA, I may be able to go down to 30 hours per week and for it not to hit me to much financially, as I live alone and I have no other means of financial support ie a partner. Of course it would help enourmously if I could go leave work on first tier ill health retirement, and it would help my stress levels as well as with everything as it is at the moment I am feeling very stressed and hurting big time, and I am feeling so tired but cannot sleep when I get to bed.

I am 45 years old.

Thank you and take care all of you
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split large paragraph into several smaller ones for easier reading.
MissTLJ
UKFM Newbie

Re: Benefits and fibromyalgia

Postby fatalrazkaz » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:47 pm

You dont seem to be on much Gabapentin. I am on 300mg three times a day, it doesn't cure the pain but it does dull it.
fatalrazkaz
UKFM Member

Postby Michelleg123 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:54 pm

You should be able to claim the care part of DLA along with your mobility which should help you if you have to leave work through sickness
Michelleg123
UKFM Member

Postby leigh73 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:24 am

Look up about working tax credits. Also you may get more tax credits for being on dla. I dont claim at all for my health although i have fibro & other health issues but as im a carer for my daughter who i get dla for they do pay me extra credits for her. Just go online on tax credits website & do a quick online check to see what you maybe entitled too. No harm in enquiring. Good luck
leigh73
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:23 am

Your manager cannot ask u to come back to work when u r signed off . U must be signed back by ur doc or u r not insured at work. As a manager myself I know this is one dangerous and illegal. :yikes:
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:47 am

If u go on less hours u should get some tax credits which should make your wages upto full time. Dont bother trying to give n go on esa cus they r refusing it most ppl n telling u to go on dole, which is less money than esa. U wouldnt survive that easy if u did but they give u some rent n rates benefits or mortgage interest payments, if on esa or the dole. They pester u for interviews tho n deny your illness. Its stressful. Try n work as long as poss. Concider tho, if u go on less hours now, does it interfere with any possible redundancy, sick pay or pensions? Id check first if i were u. U could even ask for redundancpy n do part time else where? U can put in a claim for care if u meet the criteria. Look it up. Also, do u have the mobility car? U can save money by purchasing a vehicle, cus after tax n insurance n mot repairs etc, theres enough money left to pay for your petrol n parking fees etc. good luck. X
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Looking thru your previous posts, you asked a very similar question to THIS a short while ago which received a few replies, incl one from myself, where I suggested that talking to a Benefits Adviser might be something to consider as you will receive advice specific to your situation due to the :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: of the system.

For example, you could look into having your DLA claim reassessed due to a Change Of Circumstances to see if you qualify for the care component. However, changes are being rolled out with DLA being replaced by Personal Independant Payments (PIP), and depending on which area you are in, and at what stage of the roll~out process your area is at, you could possibly find that you need to be assessed for PIP instead, which is paid at slightly different levels than DLA, and could possibly mean a less favourable decision/award is made. If your COC is reassessed under the DLA criteria, as well as finding that they have decided that you don't qualify for the care component, it is also possible that they could change the decision about your mobility component as well, leaving you with an award for a lower rate, or even no mobility component at all.

Also, other benefits are paid based on the level of salary/wage received, so whilst on paper it could look like you qualify for something, when all the numbers are crunched and processed, you could find that what you earn is just above the allowed limit, meaning that you don't actually qualify for it.

Have you spoken to your employer about what "reasonable adjustments" could be made to your job/role under The Equalities Act yet?? If not, then it might be another option to explore to see if it can help make things a little easier and manageable.

Retirement on health grounds is notoriously difficult to get on any level, and can take a number of years in some cases as every aspect of you, your health and life is examined all the way down to the sub~atomic level. And if even the teeny~tiniest criteria isn't met, then it won't be granted.

Maybe you could see your GP about what duties they think you might be able to carry out, and for how long each day wrt a return to work. They can issue a Statement Of Fitness For Work which your employer can use to ensure you are given suitable duties for manageable periods of time, which allow for how your conditions affect you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia