voice/singing

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

voice/singing

Postby annet » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:44 pm

I used to have a good singing voice years ago but since getting FM 13 years ago I have trouble with singing. I want to sing a choir but am not sure my voice is up to it these days. Does FM affect the voice? Anyone else found the same as me? Maybe it's not FM that is my problem. What do you think?
annet
UKFM Member

Re: voice/songing

Postby MusoHolli » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm a professional performer with FM (newly diagnosed) and until i was diagnosed i had to take a sabattical.
I'm back now to a degree but it has diminished my diaphram capacity.
Pilates is amazing for core strength and general stretching. If you have an Iphone or android get a vocal warm up app to help you and check youtube for some warm up excursuses do these daily and build up stamina and strength and you should be fine. Do not over reach. Do little and often and you may even find the release it brings will ease any pain.

Hollie x

(sorry for SP mistakes, i took my contacts out early!)
MusoHolli
UKFM Newbie

Re: voice/songing

Postby mandymoomoo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:57 am

Hi Annet
I too struggle with singing, I used to have lessons and was in various choirs that I enjoyed immensely. I've had FM since childhood that has been manageable, but I was left with 'ME' after a bad dose of Swine Flu 4 years ago, and with this on top of the FM it's completely wiped me out, and has left me with no stamina and I've not been able to work since. When I'm fatigued my voice is the 1st thing that goes (my mum can even tell when I'm having a bad day when I talk to her on the phone by the strength of my voice). It definitely affects me. I also chew lots of gum as my mouth gets so dry too.

Anyway good luck with it and hope the good advice from Hollie helps you :-D x
mandymoomoo
UKFM Newbie

Re: voice/singing

Postby bumblebee57 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:18 pm

I asked this very same question a cupla wks ago, but not on here. My daughter has always had "a voice" and loves to sing. She has been in a few local bands, but I went to see her perform a few wks ago and she was awful. out of tune, out of time. I had to talk to her about it becoz i dont want her to be ridiculed or kicked out of her band.The causes or reasons went round and round my head.A friend of mine, who's a professional singer, has listened to her and thinks she might be tone deaf, but she hasnt been that "off" in all the time she's been singing. Ive said, for a few yrs now, that i think she has Fibro. So i put the question on Fibro fb pages and got a very mixed response.But the suggestion of diaphram probs makes sense. I wonder that becoz they say Fibro probs are connected to the brain, whether she is just hearing things differently to everyone else. She had her hearing checked and was told it was perfect for her age (23). So we're going round in circles trying to find a reason.Although her last gig, Nov 29th, was better. Hope u get your problem sorted
bumblebee57
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:14 am

Hi, my daughter, who hasnt got fibro, went for physio therapy recently, cus she kept loosing her voice, cus she talks too much! She had told the gp that her voice had changed at about 13 n now is very husky she can no longer sing either. Anyway the therapist explained that bad posture effects the muscles in the chest n neck, n gave her simple excersises to do. The bad posture was caused by her bad back, that another therapist had sorted out too. So, dont worry. It worked for her n so hopefully will work for u. Good luck! X
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby annet » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:42 pm

Thanks so much all of you. What you say about the diaphragm makes perfect sense ... especially as I have to sit to sing in the choir since I can't stand for too long or my back protests for the next week or so! I have found some great free singing lessons on youtube.com and hope to be found croaking my way through them in the next few weeks!
annet
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia