Bathing issues

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Bathing issues

Postby Tracie » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Having problems getting in and out do bath,rang social services and they said the are unable to help,but passed my message on to someone who maybe label to but she said it is very doubtful.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Re: Bathing issues

Postby yellowfairy » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Not sure if you are the same where you are, but we have "Adult social care" here, i rang them and they assessed me on the phone, then a lady came to the house to see what needs i had, among other things she got me an inflatable cushion to enable me to get in & out of the bath. and a board to sit on across the bath so my husband can wash my hair. Hope this helps.
yellowfairy
UKFM Newbie

Postby a.lyndon » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:50 pm

Hi,

You could also go to GP and ask to be referred to an Occupational Therapist. She/He can assess you at home and help with aids to help with those sort of issues.

Worth a try.

a
Ally
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Postby nannyogg » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:25 pm

Some Councils will also give grants to residents for modifications (under the auspices of housing rather than social services). But be sure to check carefully through any grant conditions; some of them require you to reimburse the funds if you move / sell your house within a specified time-frame.

There's some info about them here, or check with your local council
https://www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants
nannyogg
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:12 pm

I went through the doc to occupational health and they were a great help
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby Tracie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:22 am

Waiting a call from someone
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:12 pm

Someone coming today
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:07 pm

Hi Tracie,

I'm glad to hear that someone said they will come and you get help.

I'm struggling a bit myself and have showers at the moment. Standing is a pproblem so I use a cheap plastic chair. Not ideal, I know. I've also got a bath brush and a loofah sponge thing to wash myself and apply body lotion. If you find it hard to wash hair and no one's there to assist , maybe one of the long handle hair washers could help? I've seen some good little helpers on boots website but I'm sure others like mobility shops would be worth trying. Hope this helps.

Sending soft hugs :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear:

(edited because my brain thought it rread Monday, not today :crazy: )
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:30 am

Can not have anything for bath due to my epilepsy that is crap not had a fit for two years,only option is to have bath taken out have a walk in shower but just had bathroom done in May,so do not want it taken out prefer a bath as get a little relief,got to stop having a bath and just have a wash.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby Carphil » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:04 am

Hi Tracie,
I have now had an electric shower fitted over the bath so the family can bath if they want too. I can't bath as I can't get up once I'm in even with my husband lifting me!
I have grab rails all around the bath to hold onto and you can get bath stools that you put into the bath/shower. I just stand holding on.
I also have a step you can buy cheap that you can add to to get the right height to get into the shower. This helps enormously and the grab rails help me in and out. Most of these we bought before the OT arrived. She did get more grab rails put in. It doesn't look bad and is the answer for my shower time. I also wait until my husband is home and keep the door unlocked before I get in. Occasionally he helps me if I'm really unsteady which is more often than not these days but he is very good and understanding.
Hope this helps you as it has helped me. Don't try anything that may not suit you though.
Sending very gentle hugs.
I suffer with both Fibro and Polymialgia among other things,so know what you are going through.xx
Carphil
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:57 pm

Still being refused

So not even getting in bath and shower is a struggle now
Tracie
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia