TENS electrodes advice

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

TENS electrodes advice

Postby dotty lotty » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:30 pm

Have been using my TENS for a week now and so far am pleased with the pain relief. :-D But am finding the electrodes uncomfortable :( . It feels as if they are dragging at skin when I move. Tried wrapping the wires around a belt to save them falling everywhere. Tried wetting the gel and have some other types on order. :crazy:
Am using it on continuous mode as advised by pain management nurse. And the positions were suggested to help arms shoulders buttocks and thighs.

Have pads over top of buttocks and shoulder blades. The right shoulder blade keeps giving a sharp stabbing pain.

So I am hoping that anyone who has been using one for a while may have some handy hints. :teddy-bear: so that in future my bear will be :bear-dancing:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Re: TENS electrodes advice

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm rather foggy today dotty, so please forgive my questions as I'm not sure which aspect of the electrodes are giving you the problem :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: Is it the sticky gel pads that are uncomfortable, or is the the length of the wires that attach to to the pads that are giving you the dragging feeling when you move???

For the length of the wires you could try something like THIS. There are other similar things available at various prices, but knowing that you love :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: as much as I do, I thought it was quite suitable. I've got some of these coming, and already have one of THESE!!

When applying my gel pads, I spread/stretch/smooth the skin out in the area that I'm going to put the pad on so that there is a little bit of flex for moving around as I found that, especially when bending down, the action of movement on my skin made things uncomfortable.

I've tried running mine continuously, but found it uncomfortable to have it on all the time. Instead I run it for 2~3 cycles then have a break before starting things off again. And when I have the break, I remove the pads, then re~apply them in a slightly different place, but still in the same area, when I'm ready to set off with it again. Running it continuously and in the same spot was a bit too much for me, and rather than helping ease things, it started to irritate and intensify them.

Like with other things, it's a case of trying things out and in different ways and times to find what suits you best. I now have a good idea which options and at which settings help me, depending on how bad things are flaring, and which part of me is being affected :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Thanks Fluppy Puffy for your advice I do like the cord organisers as the one I bought was boring. Think I may go and order one.

The :idea: of stretching the skin sounds good and as you say it is trial and error what will suit me best. :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:00 pm

Hi dotty

I do the same a Fluppy with mine. I'll let it run for a few cycles then take a break. I usually find that after 2-3 the pain eases away - for a while anyway lol.

I also stretch the skin a bit and apply to a slightly different area as I find this doesn't irritate my skin. Have you tried using some of the other setting on your Tens machine? Mine has a few variations and depending on where I put the pads I can only tolerate certain ones in certain places or on certain days (hope that makes sense - my head is foggy today too lol)

It is definitely a case of trial and error. Good Luck

xx
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks LouLou will also try the other settings. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia