Pacing

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Pacing

Postby SeaHorse1 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:39 am

Good morning - I went to the pain clinic on Tuesday to discuss how I am doing - pregabalin helping, so a tick there but still coming to terms with how fibro has altered my life & that of the whole family. Fibro nurse at pain clinic very helpful & advised focusing on the positives ( not easy when having a bad day )

He also advised Pacing. I have read the booklet on it & it seems sensible but trying to implement it into real life I think is a bit of a challenge :-? Has anyone else used pacing? I get the idea but I work in a busy GP practice so being able to alter my physical postion from sitting to walking to laying down (imagine a dragon laying down on the reception desk :crazy: ) I see how it may/will work in other areas such as doing housework, cooking, crafting etc

One thing he said which has stuck though is to prioritise & if something really doesn't need doing - don't do it! Like I was saying that I felt rubbish the other day & got upset because I couldn't peel the carrots & he asked what I did so I explained after having a few tears & getting cross with myself we had frozen veg with the dinner instead. My take on the situation - I am a crap wife/mother/grandmother as I couldn't do fresh veg - The fibro nurses take on it Well done you cooked a nice meal includng veg for your family - made me think that sometimes I need to rethink things.

Or a colleagues take on it - If only I had fibromyalgia then I could get out of doing anything I don't like doing either - I had to walk away as I wouldn't wish it on anyone but maybe if she had it for just a day she mind her tongue a bit! ( It was because I couldn't carry the tea tray as my hands were so painful & I asked for her help :roll: ) Only happened yesterday so still a but fresh in mind. Sorry ranting a bit now, I am trying to stay positive like fibro nurse said but it's not easy I must try harder ;-)

So after all that - has anyone found pacing useful? Have a good, comfortable day everyone xx
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
SeaHorse1
UKFM Member

Re: Pacing

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:03 am

Pacing is really useful. But I agree putting it into practice can be a challenge. You have to take on board that we are no longer superwomen and asking for help can be difficult. Acceptance of the condition is one of the steps we need to conquer and it is not easy.

Speak to your family say how difficult you are finding things and try to enlist their help. Look for items in your supermarket and if finances allow try the ready washed and peeled veg. I am going through a phase of using cooked veg from mash direct and they are lovely.

As for work speak to your practice manager and explain the situation (am sure you have done this) but even if you were able to get up and walk a little every so often (pretend you need the loo). I think it is their duty to try to enable you changes to do your job but from experience I know the "caring profession" are not always caring towards their own. :shooting: :shooting: But don't take one of these to work.

Lastly give yourself credit for what you can achieve and don't put yourself down. Now I need to take my own advice. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby SeaHorse1 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:30 am

Thanks dotty lotty , I am really tempted to take :shooting: to work but will resist the urge lol, I have spoken to the PM but while he was sympathetic back in the summer even suggesting changes at work for me they haven't happened,will go have another chat I think.

You are right about enlisting help but like you say it's hard to say we need help - stupid pride. I will try mash direct & re think my shopping too & buy some ready peeled veg ( silly me hadn't thought of that!)
I will use the loo a lot at work today too :lol:

Make sure you follow the good advice you have given me,
Have a good day Thanks again xx
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
SeaHorse1
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:37 am

Seahorse....... Pacing! Prioritizing! -!! ! ! .@ The number 1 rule with fibro. We all try to do it the best we can. It is hard when this is all new but you will learn to listen to your body and respect what it is telling you.k

We all have to learn about pacing, prioritizing and it is one of the hardest things to do while dealing with fibro. After your meal I bet not a sole in your family complained about the veg. You will eventually not judge and be so hard on yourself.

I understand how you feel, I have been dealing with fibro for 24 years and I would think that if I took more meds I could scrub, wash and wax the kitchen floor, LOL. It took a few years to finally let go of my obsession with things always having to be perfectly clean and tidy. Strangely nobody commented on the fact I hadn't washed the floor every day.

The woman at work should have known better than to make such a comment, especially working in the type of office and profession you are both in.

One of the other hardest thing with fibro is having people understand. All you can do is try to educate them about fibro, explain to themd correct them immediately if they assume something and are wrong. What they do with the information is their business, you have done your part. It can hurt at times but you will learn to not hear such comments.

You do not have to justify, explain, excuse or feel guilty for the way things are. Y

Remember things are different now. You can still enjoy things, participate in things and do many of the things you did before fibro. The thing is, you will do them differently, s lower, and in ways that suit your symptoms. You will learn to put yourself first, no that is not being selfish. It is learning to pace so you can still enjoy time playing with your grandchildren.

One thing to also remember...you are not fibro, fibro does not define who you are.

And never think you are ranting when you visit here. We understand. There are many loving, understanding people here who can relate to your symptoms
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby fluffyjoy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:30 am

Hi Seahorse

I am a practice manager and completely understand where you are coming from. General practice is a constantly demanding place and breaks of any type are hard to come by.

I am at the same stage as you, where I can barely come to terms with having the condition, without disciplining myself to deal with it and get those breaks in.

I have to keep reminding myself what I would do if it were a member of my team I was dealing with... And I would ensure that there was sufficient cover to provide breaks for you, and try to give you a varied shift so that you weren't dealing with patients face to face the entire time.

With your consent, I would also print the FM info page from NHS Choices (it is very well written) and I would ask the other staff to have a read so that they had some awareness.

What I have found in my own practice is that the GPs need education. An additional battle I could have done without was convincing 7 doctors that FM is even an actual thing. They thought it just a handy label for depressed women who are hooked on painkillers.

I wish you well, and TRY to avoid stress xx
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs clearer for easier reading.
fluffyjoy
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:26 pm

Pacing forms the crux of how we need to approach every day as we can no longer manage to be zapping round at Warp Factor 10 like we did pre~FM. It is frustrating to implement at first, but once you get into it, it does become more manageable and help. I can't say it has become second nature for me yet, but when I get my head into pacing gear and stick to my limits, it helps me feel a bit better about what I have accomplished.

Wrt to the frozen vs fresh vs the ready~prepped veggies, the frozen ones are actually the better, healthier option. Due to how quickly they are picked, prepped and packaged, they retain many more nutrients and other good stuff compared to the fresh stuff that will have been on display for a few days, as well as having transportation time added to their time from coming out of the ground to being bought and eaten. And the ready~prepped ones lose even more as they tend to be peeled, and most nutrients tend to be just under the skin.

Depending on what we are having and the state of the veggies, I avoid peeling them whenever I can. Tinned stuff is also good to have in reserve, ideally just in water, without added sugar and salt. I've lost count of the number of times over the years where I've had a really cruddy day and dinner has been comprised of a number of different frozen and/or tinned veggies have ended up in one pan, along with something like some chopped~up corned beef and some stock, then put in the oven for a good while on a low heat, or in the slow cooker, and has turned out pretty tasty :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

As for the people at work and their inane comments, you could either :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: at them, or you could have a Take Arnie To Work Day, then when anyone says anything idiotic..... :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting: :shooting:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia