My vitamin D levels are low

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

My vitamin D levels are low

Postby gibbo82 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:19 pm

Ok so I received my blood results back and my doctor told me my vitamin d levels were at 26, where normal levels should be at 50!. So she advised me to start taking a vitamin d3 supplement to get my levels back up. Problem is that since taking these vitamin d supplements I've noticed strange new symptoms, more muscle pains, and twitches especially in my back, sore muscles. Pain has increased in general!??.. I stopped taking them for now, and the pain has decreased!.. Do you think this could be some sort of placebo effect? All in my head? Or is a high dose of vitamin D causing these symptoms?.

Can anybody relate to this at all?

Lee
gibbo82
UKFM Member

Re: My vitamin D levels are low

Postby merrill16 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi gibbo82,
I too had a low vit d levels, was put on supplements as well. My current vit d count is 36, which my doctor says is within normal range, the low range is 30, so I'm surprised at 50 being the normal range. Does anyone else have more information on what is a normal vitamin D level? :-? Also, been taking the supplements for 3 years, which was increased two years ago, after blood test stated I had PBC, after going to doctors with all over body pain, was diagnosed with fibro about a month ago, pain in feet, hands, etc. For me vit d is the only meds I have been taking over a long period of time, I have done some research on vit d, and I believe it helps my overall health, the PBC, and fibro I believe I've had for years, who knows, whats, whats :-|.

Hope you find the answer Lee.x
merrill16
UKFM Newbie

Postby Garyl » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:06 pm

My vitamin D levels bad have to take adcal 2 times a day and have vitamin b12 injection every 3 months, my levels are still low and fibro pains not helped by anything really. Is a case of trial and error to get something that will work and help
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby justindustbin » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:19 am

Vitamin D is fat soluble, are you getting enough fat? It helps calcium absorption in the gut but only works when dissolved in fat. Try full fat milk or nuts/seeds maybe?
justindustbin
UKFM Newbie

Postby dotty lotty » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:01 am

You get 90% of vitamin D from sunshine (fat chance in this weather) :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby nkats mum » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:30 pm

I have had low vit D level for years. Was given chew tabs then soluble stuff both of which made me sick so never got anything from them. Was recently put onto the capsule form. Not noticed any change in pain level as yet but on the plus side I am now growing my nails, never could before as they were to thin and split but thick and strong now so must be doing something xx good luck in your quest for the right 'medicinal cocktail' for you
nkats mum
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:58 pm

gibbo82.... maybe it would be a good idea to see your Dr again and ask if you need to stop taking them or another brand.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia