Giving in (a little bit)

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Giving in (a little bit)

Postby Karou » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:29 pm

Hi all,

Been out today to get some fresh air and meds. After only 15 minutes, my back screamed at me and I had to stop walking. Felt pretty stupid in the middle of the shopping area but nothing I could do. When I got to the pharmacy I used one of their health check computers while I was waiting. I had to sit down for it.
When I got up after the tests, I felt a bit better and thought I'd make it back to the car without too much trouble but I was wrong and nearly in tears. Therefore, I have now ordered my first walking stick. It's lilac, one of my fav colours, and I can fold it so it fits in a bag if I don't need it.

I know it's only giving in, not up. It will help with the back and hip pain when I walk so it's something good, right? Well...I don't know, I feel like I'm admitting defeat. And I don't want to feel like that. Anyone else? How did you feel and if you felt strange about using a stick, crutches, etc, how did you get rid of this "mean inner voice laughing at you" (hope that makes sense) ?
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Giving in (a little bit)

Postby Garyl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:52 pm

Karou, if you need walking stick use it is not giving in, I was on one stick but ended up with 2 and 3 weeks later i was and am now using a three wheeled walker, the thing is i was not ready to go that way but have had to i feel safer when out shopping etc as walker has a basket for shopping and the handles i can hang bags on.

So you are not giving up if you use a tick is a case of if needs musty
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby crazycat36 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Anytime ive had to use mt stick or crutches as mich as they annoy me and i hate using them the only way to over come ur inner self laughing is tellin it to shut up as needs mist to get about sometimes....the only advice id give is make sure it has a strap that u can put round ur wrist when using ur stick otherwise ull spend a lot of time picking it up if ur out shopping or doing something where u need both ur hands and u balance ur stick carefully but somehow (think maybe sods law) the stick always falls and u then hav the problem of the floor being to far away from ur hands.....good luck with ur stick and hope it makes things easier i no that when my hips and bk r agony my stick is a life saver for me
crazycat36
UKFM Member

Postby Libby Clark » Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:12 am

Hello Everyone,

Well 17 years ago I was diagnosed with a severe spinal condition and then two years ago with FM, I do walk with an elbow crutch sometimes two, depends on the day.. I found a walking stick didn't give me enough stability and when I need to I can let go with both hands without dropping the darned thing and having to ask someone to pick it up for me.

I agree they are not the most fashionable accessory and there are times I could quite cheerfully hit so one with it as apparently being disabled means you are also stupid, get in the way and are constantly holding people up! :crazy:

But mine are glossy black and by the way they are not crutches but Wobble Wands, as they are magic and stop me wobbling quite so much. My nephew called then that years ago and it's stuck.

I have recently had quite a few falls both at home and out so I understand the need for me to use them it doesn't mean I have to love them, my friend in Florida has the same crutches and she has used a silver pen to write positive words all over hers, she says that way she at least has something positive to read when she runs out of walking steam.

I decided years ago I could hide away or just get on with it , so I am just getting on with it with the help of my wobble wands.
Libby Clark
UKFM Member

Postby spaceshopper61 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:11 am

I have gone from one stick to two within four years and I do not look at it as giving in but as not letting the firbro bet me into never leaving my home.
spaceshopper61
UKFM Newbie

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:43 am

Using a stick is not giving up but accepting that to do certain things you need a little help. Well done on facing that as it is not always easy to admit you need some help. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 am

Thank you so much for your replies. :-)

It made me think and gave me different views that make using a stick sound so much better. It's true that many people think being disabled means you're stupid but thankfully not all people are like that. I've never liked to get too much attention, maybe that's something else that's bothering me about the stick because people will look or stare. :oops:

I'm not sure if the one I ordered has a strap but I've seen them advertised and will buy one if there isn't one. Thanks for the advice, wouldn't have thought of that as a newbie.

Sending lots of :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :teddy-bear: :grouphug: :teddy-bear: to you all. You made me feel better about it and I even managed a smile.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Well shhh don't tell anyone but I use the pushchair hehe.but really if I didn't have my 18 month old I'd be using sticks to.but for now the buggy men's I can hold on and put shopping in without being in so much pain in the elbows and feet.but come the day I need sticks I will just have to have them .xxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:44 pm

A day late but it arrived today. I'm pleased because the handle is gel like rubber, comfy and slip resistant. It has a strap and the micro glitter in the lilac is an added smile. Been wobbling around the house to get the length that feels best. Oh my, what a difference! I can feel the pressure it takes off my poor lower half and keeping to a straight line is easier too.

Is there any guidelines as to how you're supposed to hold it? :oops: :oops: Bit embarrassed to ask but I've never had one and don't want to cause damage to myself. It feels most comfortable and effective when I hold my arm right near the body and use it as a sort of extension to my arm that follows my leg movement. Hope that makes sense, brain is a bit fuzzy today.

Lol painprincess that's exactly what I would do. ;-) I normally can't stand pushing a shopping trolley but when I'm out and need support I always tell my friend to give me the trolley. I just remembered my cousin. He's been able to walk but when he got fed up with it, he'd throw himself on the floor, sit there and refuse to move. My aunt gave up trying to convince him and ended up taking his pushchair lol She didn't mind, her foot has always been bad since she broke it so she had extra support.

This might sound weird but now I've got a new thing and I can't wait to go and use it. I'm still nervous about the looks but I guess I can't avoid them and need to ignore or get used to them.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:41 pm

Update: Went for food shopping and my back and hips yelled at me after only ten minutes. So I sat down thinking it would pass. My friend asked why I'm not using my stick and I said I'm feeling embarrassed. She smiled and said don't be silly. So I thought "ok here I go..."

I can't tell you how good it felt. It was still hurting but I could wobble along slowly. I had a big grin on my face and those people who did look did so in a curious way, not full of pity or bad thoughts. When I got to the shop, there was a young woman about my age coming out and we noticed each other's sticks and smiled at each other.

I just wanted to share this good experience and it made me hope that maybe if I don't show strangers that it's all new and I'm scared, they won't notice and have a more positive attitude towards it. I know there are some who look at disabled people with bad thoughts. But thankfully not everyone is like that. Now all I need is my arms to get used to it. They're complaining about the extra work and hurt but I'm hoping it'll pass soon. :-)

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby Carphil » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:54 am

Hi Karuo,
I'm so pleased you are getting on with you stick ok. I have had one for sometime now and couldn't do without it. Terrible pain in my hips and knees and no balance.
When I was measured the hospital measured from the floor to the start of my wrist. Mine was 31ins that was the size I was given and went on to buy a more glam one that size. If you have more pain on one side, you use your stick at the same time ( left leg right hand, right leg left hand)as that leaves your good side to take the weight on its own. If like me it changes legs then I just change the side I use the stick on. Lead with your bad leg and stick together each time. This is how they showed me. It does take a couple of mins to get used to but it soon comes without thinking about it.
I now have a four wheeled walker with a seat on it,brakes that lock and a place to carry things under the seat. It is great for shopping or longer walks as I can sit down when my legs stop working, normally when there are no seats you can use. After a few mins I'm ready to go a bit further where before I had to get someone to get me home! Far more freedom now and my arms don't hurt so much as it did with sticks.
I use to worry about what people though until I got it into my head......do I stay in or do I get out and about and enjoy the change outside and forget what people think. I go out now.

Hope you enjoy your new found freedom.......it's great.

Gentle hugs .x
Carphil
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia