Youngsters - feeling like crap right now

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Youngsters - feeling like crap right now

Postby Karou » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:14 pm

Woah...sorry I just have to talk to someone who actually understands Fibro. I've just heard a knock on the door, there was a young guy standing with a travel bag, an ID card on his coat. I thought it's for charity so I opened.

First thing he said was "haha are you cold in the house, all wrapped up and gloves" (I'm wearing a cardi and my compression gloves)
Caught me off guard so after a second of shock I said no, I have an illness. If I don't wear this I do feel cold and then get even more problems. He just said "oh" and have me a laminated leaflet.

It was about him telling people that he's finding it nearly impossible to find a job and had something about not accepting orders from vulnerable or senior people. It also said something about having had trouble with the law before and that's why he's doing this now . I was trying to get what was on there but my brain was all fuzzy, foggy aand everything was spinning. So I said "Sorry, don't live here, the owner is back on the weekend." and shut the door.

I feel sick to the stomach and I'm trying to understand why this comment affected me so badly. He doesn't know me and said he wasn't being rude when he left. Maybe this wasn't intentional but I still feel like crying.

Has something like this happened to anyone? How did you deal with it?
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Youngsters - feeling like crap right now

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:27 pm

Sometimes the most innocuous comments can hit a nerve for us, esp when it's something that draws attention to our health and how it may be affecting us. It sounds like he was just trying to be friendly and break the ice a little in the hope of a possible sale, as the stuff they tend to have in their bags are the likes of dusters, tea towels, dishcloths etc.

We used to have callers like the one you've had until we put up a sign outside saying that we don't buy anything at the doorstep, incl religion (we're too far beyond redemption for that (:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) Since it has been up, it has stopped them all knocking. Plus having rather loud and woofy :dogrun1: seems to help, esp when she's bouncing up and down next to me but it sounds like she's trying to fight her way out of the door to eat the person who has dared to knock and disturb her :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:24 pm

Yes I had these ppl round to. I no there trying to make a fresh start but sometimes as pp said the simple little thing said in convo off the cuff can cut pretty deep.i lost count how many times I been like it. So don't beat yourself up.i bet his had a lot of ppl shut the door as soon as they read his paper thingy.you wasn't rude so pls don't worry after all it's your home.
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby debsmith » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:19 pm

Hia firstly :hugs:
dont beat ur self over this hunni and i guess it happens to us all at sum part of our lives try not to worri and thats a great idea to get a sign made up to say no cold callers etc i felt a bit poopy recently when sequal came to visit re: adaptions etc felt really awkward answering questions about my needs in my head im still me just the body bit squiffy! makes u realize that we have this awful fibro! it knocked me 4 6 so have empathy 4u too and every 1 else we are still same person just the body is bonkers!!!! keep ur chin up xxxx :flowers:
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:58 pm

And again you have my thanks. :grouphug:
This forum has helped me so many times, I think I'd be lost without the opportunity to ask for advice.

Felt a bit shaken up till I went to bed but today your replies got me thinking. Maybe I felt like this because in my comfort zone I don't get comments, everyone knows what's wrong. It's possible that it makes it easier for me to pretend everything is "normal" and forget that I'm not well. Guess it's true, it makes you realise that you really are unwell and should look after yourself.

I like the idea of having a sign by the door. That way I don't have to feel bad for shutting the door. And these people won't waste time only to hear a "sorry, not buying anything" and can go to the next place.

The dog part made me giggle. When my friend is here, she brings her mini schnauzer. She's friendly and loves people but we keep her away from the door. She'll get frustrated and her barking turns into a deadly howling, like she's about to charge. Maybe I'll have to use a recording lol :mrgreen:
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia