Dealing with a flare-up :(

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Dealing with a flare-up :(

Postby Emsy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:06 pm

Am having a really tough flare-up today...went shopping this morning for a few hours and now I'm just completely done in.

I've only suspected I've had fibro for a little while (waiting to be referred for a diagnoses) and this is the first time I've felt so bad while knowing what it might be. I hurt all over, I feel nauseous, my brain is stuffed with cotton wool and did I mention that I hurt all over? It suddenly struck me as I was lying in bed earlier that things are going to have to change because during a flare-up like this I just cannot do the things I usually would.

Sorry, just needed to rant and ramble as this is all very new to me :(
Emsy
UKFM Member

Re: Dealing with a flare-up :(

Postby Katie Louise » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:26 pm

Don't worry we all have day, weeks and even months like that. It takes time to get your head round it, I still struggling with trying to understand it. Just remember we are all here for you when you need anything even if it is just to rant x

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk
Katie Louise
UKFM Member

Postby choco9 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:28 pm

I'm exactly in the same situation right now.I don't know what job you do but at this period of the year,we all work too hard.
These flare up,unfortunately,can last quite some time but know that it WILL calm down.
Hot bath and muscle relaxants.
I should not say this but when you are in THAT much pain,you can take more medication than usual.
My very good doctor told me that when we deal with the sort of pain,we are dealing with,I can go for it.(personnaly I am on morphine)
I know you can't but go for a walk,gym,yes that sounds stupid but realease endorphine,natural painkillers.

Have a drink and merry christmas,you will get better.
choco9
UKFM Newbie

Postby Emsy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:52 pm

Thanks for your kind words guys :)

I think the biggest thing is that feeling of "oh, I used to be able to do that and I don't think I can any more" :-? learning my "new" boundries is weird, and I think I just had that flash of "Oh, right, I get tired and ill when I do stuff, I remember." Thinking back to how much energy I had last year isn't helping either :-|

Ah well. Will look after myself. And I'm so glad I've found a place with other fibro peeps to rant at!! I don't know anyone "in real life" who has fibro as a primary condition (my husband has it as a secondary condition as he has Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, so we're both in the chronic illness boat!)
Emsy
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:53 pm

choco9 wrote:I should not say this but when you are in THAT much pain,you can take more medication than usual.
My very good doctor told me that when we deal with the sort of pain,we are dealing with,I can go for it.(personnaly I am on morphine)

Whilst you may have been told you
can go for it
choco, it is not something that someone should do without talking to a GP or other suitably qualified healthcare professional beforehand. We are all very different when it comes to the levels of meds we can cope with, and for some, even going a minuscule amount over their set/prescribed dosage can cause adverse effects, which in themselves could give rise to additional unpleasant and equally serious problems.

Emsy, if you have a look on the Help/Tips On Coping board, there is a lot of info and suggestions about how to manage during a flare~up. Maybe see what there is that you could try out and see if it helps you.

A good number of us find that heat/warmth can make things feel a little easier, and soaking in a warm bath can be an effective way to get warmth over a wider area in one go. Some have also found that adding Epsom Salts to their bath water can have a beneficial effect. For others who have a shower rather than a bath, being under the warm running water can help, as can using bath and shower products that are designed to aid tension release and relaxation. We also tend to have a nice collection of the wheaty bags that can be zapped in the mikey and applied to an area, and a good old hottie bottie wrapped in a towel placed on a rather hurty bit is another popular way to try and ease things.

Depending on how long it lasts, your situation etc you may also find it necessary to pace~down activities for a while, then when things start to settle, you can start gently pacing them back up again.

It seems endless when they bite you in the bum, but as you learn more about what triggers them and what helps you in dealing with/managing them, they do become a touch easier to find your way thru to the other side.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Emsy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:16 pm

I *love* my wheaty bags....they are SUCH a life saver! However they've both got to the point now where they lose their heat really quickly :-?
Emsy
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:25 pm

If you're a good girlie, maybe Santa will bring you some new ones :hohoho1: :hohoho1: :hohoho1: :hohoho1: :hohoho1: :hohoho1: I have a :teddy-bear: shaped one that molds nicely into the little hurty areas, and a strange cat shaped one that works well on larger, flatter bits of me :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Emsy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:54 pm

I also have a large cat shape that's warm and lies on me, but it has a tendency to be a bit pointy sometimes...!!

If I could train my cat to sit in the right place and stay there he'd make an excellent heat pack...
Emsy
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:06 pm

I'm owned by a doglet that would lay on me, and would make very good hot dog. The only drawback is how heavy she is......it doesn't take long for the hurtys to start screaming again when there is 20kg of spangle that is built like TankGirl blobbed across you and wiggling around to get herself even more comfortable :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby choco9 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:08 pm

Like I said,both MY doctors told me to increase the meds.

Everybody has to talk to their doc about it.
choco9
UKFM Newbie

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:37 am

I found the wheat pads cooled too quickly as well and now have some electric pads that are great. Keep a check at Lidl as they are quite inexpensive there. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby Emsy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:10 am

Oooh I don't usually go to Lidl, but I'll pop into one and keep an eye out! Thanks dotty lotty! :-)
Emsy
UKFM Member

Postby LouLou » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:27 am

Hi Emsy

I too used to constantly think about all the things I used to be able to do. I was diagnosed 2 years ago and I'm only 30 yet some days I feel 90 lol.

I had to learn to adjust how I did things and pace and through doing that I find that I can still do most of what I did before as long as I pace it out. Like shopping. I used to be able to go out shopping for hours and hours and I loved it. Now though I can only manage a few hours and even then I have to stop and rest quite often. So now I tend to go to big shopping centres where I know there will be places I can sit and rest under shelter (great for hot and cold weather) and I only do an hour or two. Then I'll have a rest day the next day to recover.

If there's an event or family gathering I know about in advance I plan a rest period just before and just after and find that I can make it through. I didn't want to stop living and enjoying myself because FM is with me for the long haul.

I know it's hard to see when you are in a flare but you can learn to adjust how you do things and still have some fun moments.

When I have a flare my wheat bags and hot water bottles are my best friends lol as well as my tens machine and I swear by arnica gel. It's natural and when rubbed it it does help take the edge off the pain.

I too am owned by a doglet who just knows she has to be gentle with me (she gets to rough play with my hubby lol) When I'm having a sofa day she'll cuddle up with her head on my shoulder and a paw over my chest and stay there for hours giving me loves and kisses.

Take Care Emsy and I hope your flare eases off soon
x
What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger ;-)
LouLou
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Never ever go over the prescribed dosage of meds unless advised to by your doctor or other medical professional as Fluppypuffy has already said. trying the other tips is a really good idea as most of us have been hit by flares at one time or another and have used all the tips given and again as Flup has said posted on the tips board
Denys

denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby a.lyndon » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:43 pm

Hi,

I too am going through a flare up at the mo and in my 6th week. I have had it for many years but only diagnosed in Feb this year. I too am struggling to come to terms with not being able to do things as I did before. Hot baths or showers, hot water bottles are quite effective.

I swim once a week to keep me mobile which I think does help, maybe you could think about that. It's a gentle exercise.

Ally
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia