Fear of driving

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Fear of driving

Postby Welshsue » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:31 pm

Hi fibro friends, I'm loosing my nerve to drive, anyone else experienced this? It was a minor car accident/whiplash in feb that brought on CFS and fibro, I'm not well enough to go out most days, I drive about a mile to visit my elderly mum about once a week, I can't drive at night nor any further as I don't have the confidence, but every time I think about getting into the car lately I seem to fall apart. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welshsue
UKFM Newbie

Re: Fear of driving

Postby libbiek30 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:16 pm

I am ok driving locally but get in a state if have 2 drive somewhere I don't know and struggle at night. :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby shaz61 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:39 pm

I developed a fear of driving 2 years ago :-( I gave up my Car last year, because I no longer had the confidence to drive it. I became very paranoid that something was going to go wrong with the car, or I would do something wrong :-(
shaz61
UKFM Member

Postby lulu80 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:55 pm

i developed a fear of driving about 3 years ago and gave up the car (which caused me pain physically anyway) my doctor is sending me for CBT as i struggle and get in a panic just going in cars/buses. its very limiting. perhaps you could ask your doc for CBT also? i dont know if it will help but might be worth a try.
lulu80
UKFM Newbie

Postby Suzyhyde » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:47 pm

It is horrible when you feel scared driving no one seems to understand ,my legs go really quiverer then I get worried I am not safe plus my feet feel numb not sure how far to push accelerater but I have no choise I have to look after my mum with dementia three days I do work 12/1/2 hours so I have to drive no option my limit is 6 miles ,I worry about the future because where I live no buses so I keep plodding on :-D
Suzyhyde
UKFM Member

Postby bumblebee57 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:06 pm

I also have a fear of driving anywhere outside my local area or comfort zone. I dread having a Fibro moment while im driving. I had one as I got into the car once. I sat there and said to myself "What do I do now?!!". I have a dilemma atm. In March, my daughter and I are going to see Newton Faulkner in Exeter (from Plymouth)and originally I wasnt driving, but because of certain circumstances, I now have to drive...aaaarrgghhhh!! PANIC. So Ive started planning now and hopefully we wont end up anywhere other than Exeter, lol.Even WITH the satnav!! I sometimes wonder if I should be driving, but Ive not had an accident yet. Ive only had my licence 5 yrs and I want to enjoy it while I can.I also need my car to go shopping, visit friends and family, so I just keep to local areas.
bumblebee57
UKFM Member

Postby tonydin » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:09 pm

iys not a fear of driveing you have its fear of the fear as wioth any phobia ... breath breath deep in for 5 secs and let out slowley for 10 secs try for 4 breaths per minite ,,, and if you keep it going tou will go from :yikes: :yikes: to :shock: :shock: to :-) :-) to :-D :-D :-D :-D

best thing i ever lernt it works , aviod driveing or whatever and the fear will take over

tony
tonydin
UKFM Member

Postby Welshsue » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Thanks for comments folks I can see I'm not alone x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welshsue
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia