Excessive pain after tooth extraction

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Excessive pain after tooth extraction

Postby lolo73 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:03 pm

I had a tooth out on Tuesday morning, it is now Friday night and I am climbing the walls in pain. I have been since they took the tooth out. It was difficult for them to get the tooth out, so lots of trauma but it seems more than that. I am totally over doing the pain killers, I mean I am eating handfuls every few hours and yet I am still in total agony. I went back to the dentist yesterday but the dentist is newly qualified and she didn't see a problem. Is this a side effect of my FMS or can anyone shed any light on it? Thanks in advance x
lolo73
UKFM Member

Re: Excessive pain after tooth extraction

Postby carole50 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:22 pm

I had the same problem took weeks to settle i rubbed clove oil on my gum nd surrounding teeth x
carole50
UKFM Newbie

Postby libcal » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Poor you, could be that it is due to fibro, but Sounds more like what is known as a dry socket!! I worked as a Dental Nurse and have seen lots of this I have also experienced the condition after having a tooth extraction...Extremely painful, and as a fellow fibro suffer I understand pain... Clove oil will help, but you really need to go back to dentist and they should pack it for you, cannot remember What they call the packing now ( Fibro fog for weeks)it smells of camphor coves and cinnamon. Once done this offers some relief within a few hours and continually gets better... Certainly worth a try... A Newly Qualified Dentist may not pick up on this as easily as an experienced Dentist would... Hope this helps and that you are soon feeling much better.... :(
libcal
UKFM Newbie

Postby scousepea » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:40 pm

Had the same problem a few months ago! Still can't open mouth to its full extent, have now been referred for Physio on my jaw? was all due to difficult extraction, also numbness and tingling sensation! the nightmare continues :cry:
scousepea
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kyomii » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:52 pm

It could be dry socket. However, I have TMJ as well as FMS and every time I have work done on my teeth I suffer for about a week with a very painful jaw/toothache pain because it sets off my TMJ. It is extremely painful.

I would advise going back because if it is dry socket you may need antibiotics and will need plugging with an iodine wrap. It could also be that a small splinter of root/tooth is left in, that will also cause extreme pain. Go back asap, don't leave it.
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:31 pm

I agree go back again is it possible to see one of the older dentists??? I always suffer for a couple of weeks after an extraction but not to the extent you are describing, what pain meds are you taking??? ibuprofen is generally better for pain in the gum area. I hope things settle down soon for you
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby lolo73 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:30 pm

Just so anyone searching this post at a later date can be updated, I ended up on antibiotics given by my GP not my dentist, he also prescribed mouth wash and dihydrocodine to be taken on top of my regular pain relief. It was about three weeks before the pain settled. I guess FMS made it all worse than the general person. :(
lolo73
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:36 pm

I just read this and thought right away, dry socket. The usual treatment is an antibiotic and they put guaze in it for a day or so. Usually a molar also. I had one and it almost did me in. I was a week every day getting it packed. I then blew up like a balloon...allergy to the antibkotic.

I am glad you are on the mend, now you just need energy back.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia