how long can you be relatively pain free?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

how long can you be relatively pain free?

Postby catering2013 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:48 pm

Hi ,been ages since I have been on here.I have for last 6 months felt reasonably good,and not really affected by symptoms.then suddenly this last week it has all flooded back with vengeance! Pain everywhere,tiredness and depression.feeling so low.is this like this for anyone else at all? Any comments on how I deal with all this would be appreciated greatly
catering2013
UKFM Newbie

Re: how long can you be relatively pain free?

Postby a.lyndon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Hi,

Sorry you're having a difficult time at the moment. Unfortunately That's how Fibro is. :( :( It's not easy to cope when we have flare ups but, talking to others who are suffering with the same can often help. Everyone suffers differently, some are suffering with pain all the time so it's difficult to say how long it will last.

I'm in my 7th week of flare up and I'm convinced that the weather has a lot to do with how we feel. Have hot baths, use hot water bottles and only do what you feel you can. I understand that you feel low with the pain and fatigue. Get yourself dosed up and rest.

The thing with Fibro is that we don't know when it's going to settle down. You may feel better by the end of the week. Feeling depressed is awful and maybe you need to speak to your GP with regards to medication.

I'm sure that you will receive more replies to your post and these will be of support, understanding and suggestions.

Gentle Hugs to you and hope you feel better soon. :hugs:

Ally
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:22 pm

Yes the colder weather seems to make pain worse.
I try pacing myself, delegating tasks, using electric heat pads and my new TENS which I love.
Learning that I can still do things but just differently. It is often easier said than done though.
Try relaxing with things you enjoy a good book (if I can remember the plot :yikes: ) hot chocolate in the afternoon is always looked forward to.
Hope your pain settles a bit soon and I send gentle :hugs: :hugs: and a cuddle from my :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby gizsam » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi..believe me you are not alone... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: ..i too arrived back on the forum a few weeks ago after having several great months of fibro behaving itself,i wasnt pain free but life was managable,then the winter set in and it was whack im back...im in the midst of a huge flare. :scream-1:

With the support of my loving partner,a fantastic GP,my lovely pain management consultant,giving me a few wise words and some drugs :lol: ...i have accepted this way it is...i have yet to face the wrath of work and it doesnt not go well that im off and according to them my attendance record is rubbish....but thats another story.... :roll: :crazy:

All you can do is rest, keep warm and go with the flow... 8-) ,which is easier said than done...its only taken me a couple of weeks for the penny drop :hit1: :hit1: ...that its all you can do.....

:hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

cat :cat2:
gizsam
UKFM Member

Postby catering2013 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:04 pm

Thank you all.I will take comfort from your words .just seems so unfair that it has to come now,just when was looking forward to a lovely Christmas.not sure what has brought it all on,although was feeling bit tired and tearful just prior to all the aches,so maybe that was a warning .was previously on Prozac,but was able to come off so am reluctant to go back on them unless gets too bad again .would rather try to get through the holidays first then see,or should I get them sooner? Any thoughts ??thank you for your support
catering2013
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Unfortunately only you can really tell if you should see someone sooner or wait until after the festive time. And just because you were on Prozac previously, it doesn't mean you would have to go back on to it. Depending on how things go, there could be something else that could help you.

FM just loves to throw these things at us when it is the most unsuitable, disruptive time possible for it to hit us, and it has to make sure it can take the biggest bite possible out of your bum, just to remind you that it's there and lurking around.

You may find that things start to settle back down again for you fairly soon, and not have as large an impact on your festivities as you think.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:22 pm

Oh now let me think.nope apart from when I was pregnant that was the only time I was pain free.other then that I hurt everyday.i wishi had six good months x I am on anti DS atm have been for years now don't be ashamed our brains don't cope like well pls do.i no I can't cope without them .i refused any help for years but I was only making things harder for myself.at the end of the day I had to have help,por sac is a very old drug and there's a lot of newer ones u can try if u want to xx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby fletch » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:04 pm

Yep in pain all the time and muscle cramps I never get a pain free day
fletch
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:10 pm

I have had two pain free days which were Sunday and Monday,was very tired was my birthday yesterday went out,and was dancing hot in bed last night stiff as anything and could not move.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby SeaHorse1 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:47 am

Hi I was relatively pain free for 6 weekes ( I know amazing! ) it was from the start of October. I had 2 weeks annual leave at the begining of the month, we had a mini break in a lodge with it's own hot tub BLISS!!!Then the next few weeks were relatively ok, not totally pain free but managable. Then from mid November it has been going down hill. Pain clinic nurse says it's probably due to the cold,damp weather. I thinks it's aslo due to the staff shortages at work so the job has been a lot more stressful. I think having 2 weeks off work & being able to totally relax helped - & the hot tub helped loads.
I am currently off sick now - sure I will be very unpopular at work. I am totally exhausted & am haing really bad pain in my hands at present, I work in a high pressured office where there isn't the option to take a break when my hands get too sore to type so hubby has told me to go off sick ( day 3 now) & rest & not to worry what work thinks ( easier said than done!)
I am going to see my GP next week to see if we can increase the pregabalin to see if that will help.
I understand that this is the way fibro works - managable, then flares up but unfortunately it's hard when trying to work too. :crazy:

Hope you all have a managable day today - :cat2:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass but learning to dance in the rain
SeaHorse1
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:25 am

I think it depends on your definition of relatively pain free. I can’t remember a day without ANY pain for years, even though I've only been diagnosed for less than 2 years. However most days it’s what I call background noise, then I have days when it’s a problem and I take pain killers, then there are days when it affects my ability to function normally and even the pain killers don’t take the edge off – those days I’m in bed by about 7. But my only medication is over the counter painkillers, so I don’t think I have a severe case, and I have no other medical conditions. It’s different for everyone.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby felinefine » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:16 pm

I had flare ups that lasted a couple of weeks not really bad but enough to stop me doing heavy stuff. But since my Stroke in July I have had symptoms ever since, bad enough not to work, can't dance, peel veg, open heavy doors without a struggle. Can't move properly until about 11am.

I'm not sure whether I will come out of if this time, frightens me.
felinefine
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia