My brain has fallen out.

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

My brain has fallen out.

Postby HeppiBean » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:43 am

Ok, I wanted to ask a few questions about fibro fog, but thought I'd read a few old posts first to see if I could find an answer...

After reading a pretty long thread twice, I realised I read it about 2 days ago... DOH!

So basically, is there anyway to make it any better? I've had enough of forgetting menial tasks. My partner had to remind me 3/4 times earlier that earlier that I was running a bath... That could have ended badly.

I'm not expecting a miracle, just maybe a memory that lasts more than 5 seconds?

Gahh xx

Katie. Mummy to 2 with Fibro and HMS.
Sent from my HTC One using TapaTalk.
HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Re: My brain has fallen out.

Postby libcal » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:58 am

This happens to me a lot.. most of the time really!! I have found that Tumeric and magnesium supplement help.. I also take Collagen..
Along with all the other Pain relief etc..
I find that on the few occasions that I manage 4 full hours of sleep I have Less of the "FOG" since taking the supplements... I truly hope this helps, However I understand that what works for me may not work for everyone.. Massive HUGS for you and yours.. hope you have a good Xmas..xx
libcal
UKFM Newbie

Postby Carphil » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:41 am

Hi HeppiBean,
Well I seem to have the same problem for a long time now. Can't remember anything all day long and it can take me up to a hour to do the one thing I set out to do. The family now right everything down that they need me to attend to and I carry the pad with me! I write everything that I need to do and hope for the best with the rest.
I have found now that most of the time when I arrive at a place in the house.....if I stand there long enough it comes to me. Seems to work each time lol but of course it takes time.
The cooking has been taken over by my husband as I forget I'm cooking something. I've burned and thrown out so many pans this year. I'm very lucky to have a husband that is so understanding and helpful. I only have to give him a look and he can tell me the word or what I was talking about in company. The list goes on and on.
I am sure that all the meds we have to take to cope with pain and lack of sleep make the fog worse but I can't do without them. I am taking supplements but nothing seems to help me.
I'm sure there will be plenty of members that have things that help them so like you I will wait for them and their kind help..
Sorry I couldn't help. X
Carphil
UKFM Member

Postby relf1960 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:32 am

Because i forget everything too, i decided to buy a magnetic white board, which i put on the side of my fridge. The idea was, to mark off my medication as i take it, cus its a big problem for me. I will have the packets in my hand n then try n decide if ive just taken them or about to take them? So if i take them now, i could be over dosing. Or if i dont, i might av not taken any. So, i wrote the medication on the white board n hung it where i would see it everyime i went to the kitchen, or so i thought. 5 days later i saw the unused white board! I had forgotton i had bought it even. I know this is funny, but it does make u want to scream when u forget everything all the time. Inc the meals burning, whilst your wondering what to av for tea, cus u forgot youve already put it on. Grrrrr
relf1960
UKFM Member

Postby scoke » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:49 am

I don't take any meds but do find that usually my fog is better when I am less tired but not significantly so. I try to do puzzles and read - brain training - none of it really helps - or not that you'd notice. For me, the fibro fog is the worst thing about FM - I feel incapable of going out alone sometimes and certainly decide I should not drive occasionally when my co ordination is also bad. I used to be intelligent but would be hard pushed to convince anyone I'd met in the last 10 years that that was true as I say and do such stupid things, I forget to do things, forget what I was saying, forget words, use the wrong word, say or do the opposite to what I want, sometimes am astounded at what comes out of my mouth - not even what m really thinking. I do stuff automatically then hi I I haven't done it but also forget to do stuff that should be automatic. I do try to get little rituals - things like cleaning my teeth for example - to ensure I do them properly I do them in a certain order and have an electric toothbrush - helps my arms too! Writing stuff down doesn't help as I blithely ignore most written stuff these days and I can't write well for long so can't read what I've written. My husband and other family and friends are a help but I'm not always around them. I've found that I can no longer expect to multi-task, even with cooking, one thing at a time so I have to have cold toast if I want beans or egg on it! I have a feeling I have thought I've found solutions to the problem before but then forgotten.. I also ramble - sorry....
scoke
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:53 am

I think fibro fog is part and parcel of most of us.
I try to write thing down but it has to be done at the second I think of it :crazy:
I have a routine as to how I do certain things.
Nearly lost my train of thought here :yikes: :yikes:
As for medication I have what I call my weekly "granny box" and fill it once a week and it is a godsend or I would never remember if I had taken medication :-? :-? :-?
The white magnetic board sounds a good idea. :idea:
Cant remember if I have anything else to add and although I laugh at myself I really want to :scream-1: :scream-1: :scream-1: :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby meljcarr » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:33 am

I too find that fibro fog is one of the worst symptoms, I find that some times i go to say some thing and i can't remember simple words that used to come naturaly. :crazy: as for meds, i puts them into the little containers that are in 4 compartments, i.e, morn, noon, eve, night, that is the only way i remember if i have taken them. my family are used to my fibro brain now, but it's embarassing when talking to others.
meljcarr
UKFM Newbie

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:55 am

I find it hard as I still work as a manager and sometimes in meetings I forget words and get really embarrassed. I have to write lists all the time. I write them on my phone so I don't forget where I've put the list! I laugh off most of the time how forgetful I am but in my job there is never enough time to do everything so we all seem to be the same :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby HeppiBean » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks everyone. Therebarebsome helpful suggestions, like the white board, but I would almost definitely forget I'd put it there! Ha ha. Xx

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:45 pm

My brain fell out and went on it's own travels many many moons ago :-? :-? :-?

The fog is the bane of my life, pre~FM I could remember all sorts of stuff. My faves were the more ambiguous F1 records that hadn't been broken for several decades, plus there was a load of rubbish swirling around as well, which was great for things like quizzes and competitions, but not so great when it was on a subject I didn't like/had no interest in. The only good thing I can say has come from it is the fact that I've forgotten all the footie stuff my OH has indoctrinated me with over our years together :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I find it gets worse the more fatigued and/or stressed/worried/upset I become, and that's when I end up sounding like a gibbering gimboid that's even struggling to come out with gibberish :oops: :oops: :oops: I did try and add in completely random words when I was talking and had lost my point as it was rather :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: to see the looks on people's faces when it happened, but I've been finding that much more difficult to do as well, so have had to stop for now as it took far more brain power than I had available :( :( :( :(

TBH my phone has pretty much replaced my brain now :crazy: :crazy: :crazy: I've found suitable apps to remind me to do various things, and when I need to do them. I also make sure I put it in a specific place when I'm in whichever room so that I'm less likely to be looking for it. With some of the apps, they can be sync with someone who also has it installed which I make use of with OH so that, if needed, he can take over from what I was doing without the need for me to explain where I had got to.

And like dotty lotty, I also have a weekly "granny box" for my meds to be kept in as looking at that makes it a bit easier to see what I have taken and when. It doesn't always work, but definitely helps as I don't miss anywhere near as many doses as I did previously.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby HeppiBean » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Can you recommend some of those apps? Sound helpful!xx

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:26 pm

For keeping track of my meds I use UKFibroMapp. It also has a diary function for recording pain levels, symptoms etc, reminders/alarms for when meds need to be taken, as well as a sleep tracker/diary. From it, reports can be printed up which can help when you need info for things such as doc's appts.

For To Do lists, shopping lists and keeping track of things like food levels etc Out Of Milk is an absolute godsend. To be able to sync it with someone else who has it installed, the Pro~Unlocker is needed, which has turned out to be the best £1.24 I've ever spent. OH now uses it for things he needs to do, list etc.

For when I need to keep a food diary I use Doc's Diet Diary and for diabetes On Track Diabetes is the best I've found for tracking my levels, producing graphs, reports etc.

Altho some of the ones I use are paid~for apps, there are a vast number of freebie ones that have a good number of the functions and features. I tried loads of the freebie ones then bought the paid versions of the ones I found most helpful.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby HeppiBean » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:16 pm

Thank you!!xx

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia