Hip, legs, arms and lower back - ouch

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hip, legs, arms and lower back - ouch

Postby Karou » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:46 am

Hiya,

I'm admitting defeat, tried telling myself no it's not but it sure looks like a bad flare up.

I've been struggling with esp. lower back and hip pain for a long time now and know that part of it is from the slipped vertebra. Over the past few days it got worse though and I was wondering if anyone has some advice please? I think stress might be contributing to how I feel because I'm struggling with my ESA assessment appeal. Trying to put it out of my mind as much as possible.

I'm taking my meds regularly and so far I've tried hot bath, TENS, ice pack, gentle massage, hot water bottle, stretching (yoga), rest, walking slowly up and down the stairs and around. It seems that nothing helps, the feeling of razorblades slicing away happily at my spine and sharp objects stabbing my hips won't go away. It's also slightly to the side, feels like SI joints but no doctor ever looked at them even when I mentioned that they hurt. Knees and legs throb and burn. My shoulders and arms throb, have lost strength and hurt with even small movements. I struggle to sleep because it's like electric bolts shoot through them. They're less flexible too, mainly because of pain. :roll:

Does anyone know what else I could try to get relief? I've taken meds 2 hours ago but right now I could tear wallpaper off with my fingernails, it's that bad. Sorry for ranting and whining so much. Any advice is welcome.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Hip, legs, arms and lower back - ouch

Postby felinefine » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:56 am

Hi ya

So sorry you are suffering so much at the moment, please don't apologise for ranting, we all know how you feel. I don't have any real ideas but just wanted you to know you are not alone my lovely.

I hope you find the pain subsides very soon

xx
felinefine
UKFM Member

Postby Carphil » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:03 am

Hi Karou,
I'm so sorry you are really going through it right now. Such a nuisance right on Christmas when you need extra energy and movement.
I can't help much but I have been able to get more comfortable since buying my feather mattress. It's 4inchs of deep feather with down on the top of it which is on top of a medium mattress. My husband fluffs it up daily and we sink into it every night. I bought it on QVC shopping channel.It was quite expensive but so worth it for that extra comfort I needed. I can't get comfortable without it and suffer when we go on holiday unless it is in the UK and can take it with us! No it doesn't stop pain.......meds help that a little but it certainly helps to find a comfortable position as there is very little pressure points which is wonderful when everything hurts.
Just to let you know your not on your own and I'm thinking of you.

Very gentle hugs.x
Carphil
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:22 am

Karou.....I can feel your pain right in me when you mention yours. Hip, lower back and knee pain are the worst for me.

Other than trying everything you have done I can only suggest A r n i c a Gel. It seems like a simple thing but it really helps me. Make sure you get 100% Arnica gel. It smells but works. It calms things down enough for me to relax a bit.

I hope you feel better soon.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:51 pm

What pain killers are u no love
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for taking time to reply. :-)

I've never heard of a feather mattress but will look into that. I've had a memory foam pillow but it was too hard for my neck. Feathers sound softer, just like the pillow I use under my pocket sprung pillow.

It's nice to know I'm not alone. Well...only because I feel that here, everyone understands me. Would love to see everyone painfree.

I've heard of this plant before...would I get it in any shop or.chemists or health food stores? Will have to try whatever I can. Devil's claw root wasn't doing the job but there's still hope I see. Still more things to try that could help. I'm so glad I can come on here and ask, means I don't have to put my head in the sand.

Oh and I'm on duloxetine(60mg standard dose once in the evening) for Fibro but also depression. I've also got tramadol which I can take 4 times a day. 3 of that is with paracetamol. I also had naproxen but my doctor isn't giving me more of it. It did help and I could buy it otc bbut it has a different licensing which means if I have a reaction I wouldn't be protected.

Might have to go back anyway as I was going to ask for a letter for my hearing and another one for the dentist. So I'm gonna ask why I can't get more or maybe some other help.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:46 pm

Karou.....you can get Arnica gel at a chemists or a health shop. It smells but It really does ease things a bit. A Dr I use told me about it. She is one of my surgeons and said her 85 year old mum told her about it.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby lala1980 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:28 pm

Hiya I use arnica I get my from boots its a cream it really help me I also get a lot of pain in my hips legs and knees cos I had SI joint pain I cant walk very far with out it hurting its a real paun when u have other thungs going on as well as fm :( really hope u feel better soon xxxxxx
If you smile then the world is a better place :-)
lala1980
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:32 pm

lala1980, The arnica you get in a cream is it 100% Arnica? If it is then can you tell me the brand name please. I will look for it over here. We get Arnica gel, it comes in a tube like toothpaste and is a yellow gel. It really smells. If the cream does not smell and works all the better, LOL.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby M0nkeyS0cks72 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 3:23 pm

Hi, I have seen arnica cream on Amazon I think also some tablets you can take. I was having a look after reading something about it on the internet. I was in two minds whether to get some or not but think I will be now. Last night was the worse I have been so far with my back hips and knees killing me. Think I over did it over Xmas and I am always pushing myself too much. :)

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD
M0nkeyS0cks72
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:58 pm

MonkeySocks72........be careful buying online.

Arnica is poisonous by mouth. It is used in various oral treatments but is dangerous that way. Arnica can cause miscarriage.

It is very safe used as a gel or cream as long as it is not put on broken skin.

I find the gel really helps me a lot. I have been given the ok by 3 of my Dr's to use the gel.i
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby lala1980 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:02 pm

Hiya whoami ;) yes 100% Nelsons arnica cream xxx
lala1980
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:18 am

Hey everyone,

Happy new year. I hope you're painfree.

I've tried arnica and have to say it does feel good for my poor sore knees and ankles and artists. :-) My friend got it for me from a health food person. Dragged myself to the GP yesterday, got a lift there but had to go back by bus and then what normally takes 10 minutes to walk. Well that didn't quite work the way I expected.

Wobbled along but after 2 minutes I had to stop. Tried calling a cab but couldn't get a signal so I ended up leaning heavily to the right, stickingmy tummy out. The only way to crawl back home and I'm still paying for it. Thank goodness I took my stick. That'll teach me. My mind said " I can't do this, not enough strength and energy but too much pain to walk back." Being me I still haven't learned it seems. :crazy: :crazy: Now I'm feeling totally sorry for myself and am back to square one.

The GP I saw is young, new and more interested in listening. Maybe because she's still training, not sure. At least she examined me and confirmed swollen SI joints. #sarcasm: Thanks Fibro, I really wanted more trouble! #sarcasmoff I got some meds to protect my stomach, naproxen, and the GP said ice and heat, not just heat because I'm supposed to get rid of the inflammation but also need to keep those muscles happy and flexible.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby lala1980 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:43 pm

Hiya karou yes I know what SI joint feels like ;(( poor you it sounded horrible trip to the gp I feel for you when I went to the physio And this was befor I was diagnosed!!! I had to do some very hard exercises And my do more pelvic floor exercises ha I think the physio was shock how slow I was.. I told him that I realky ached after lol well I didnt know he didnt have a clue What to do with me so I was discharged haha I now know why it was all so blooming hard my advice is dont rest to long and dont over do it and work on your pelvic floor take care hunny not easy xxx
lala1980
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia