Intermittent Absence meeting

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Intermittent Absence meeting

Postby FibroEllie » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:16 pm

I've been called to an Intermittent Absence meeting with our Office Manager, Head teacher and someone from Human Resources. I'm absolutely terrified! It's still 2 weeks away and it's already ruined my Christmas. I have invited my Union rep and I've been told it's just procedure, but it's not helping my stress levels, which of course sparks my fibro. I can't afford to give up work and give more than my best. Freaking out!!!!
Ellie
FibroEllie
UKFM Member

Re: Intermittent Absence meeting

Postby Maria68 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:27 pm

Hi, I had a similar sort of meeting with work last year. I was panicking, like yourself. I therefore went armed with print outs of Fibromyalgia, what it is, symptoms etc, I also took with me letters of diagnosis from my Consultants. (I took enough copies for everyone in the room) I listened to what they had to say and then gently reminded them that my condition does render me disabled and had a print out of the disability act with me. Work have been very understanding with me since. Don't panic, don't react.....go armed with information that they may not be aware of. Face it, you would not be aware of what your condition was all about unless you suffered with it, and people, even close to you don't fully understand what you are going through. Good luck x
Living the Dream :-) well some days I am
Maria68
UKFM Member

Postby Zeberdi » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:01 pm

I think you have just found a perfect answer. All I would add is give all of this to your Union Rep well before hand so he is totally informed and has the opportunity to work for you to his best ability.

This to shall pass.xx
Zeberdi
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:52 pm

These sort of meetings are often just procedural and to see if they can help and to assess how you are.
I went to several when I had several bouts of long term sickness for something else and my union rep was great as they are on top of what your employers are allowed or not allowed to say and do. If this is your first one try to speak to your rep first.
And try to take time with your answers so you don't say anything you will later regret.
Good luck :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby FibroEllie » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:23 pm

Thank you so much. I've got my letter from the consultant, but not thought of taking information about fibro or the disability act, which clearly lists fibro as a disability. I think knowing so far in advanced has made matters worse. I am confident I can do my job well, I've even given up a part time job I had to make sure I give myself time.
Can anyone recommend an information leaflet? I've found one on Arthritus Research UK.
FibroEllie
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia