Is FM the prison sentence I feel it is?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Is FM the prison sentence I feel it is?

Postby Allio » Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 pm

After reading the 5 stages of FM, I am not sure what stage I am in. I was dx this August, after a year of increasing symptoms and with it more wide spread and intense pain.

I currently feel I have just been sentenced to life in prison which happens to be my own home. I was given a ground floor apartment with walk in shower due to my mobility problems a year ago even before the rhuemie/GP dx me.

I also have many of the co-morbid diseases/syndromes I have seen mentioned in your posts, diabetes, ceoliacs, hypothyroidism, poor memory and concentration,depression,IBS, hypermobility in my youth, still am really, arthritis (cervical vertebrae, knees, ankles,elbows,hips ans cranial bones)along with some I am not sure if they are related, peripheral nueropathy, raynards phenonomen, tri-geminal neuralgia, bi-lateral trocan....(something or other) bursitis and swelling, allover swelling of hands feet face calfs etc ohh and lumps quite large ones I think are odema pockets or lipomas. I attended the physio who said she can't do anything till the swelling is reduced.

The docs say tramadol and paracetamol should help, well it takes the edge off, say from a 10 to an 8. That is with naproxen, amytriptaline, duloxetine if I add codeine to that it helps a little more. That is of course motionless add daily living activities and everything seems to be in hyper mode, uberpain and swelling increases which causes stiffness and inability to even bend knees etc.
I think you get the drift, err what was my drift again?

AHH yes prison that was it.....phew thank goodness I was typing so I could read over what I said.

Anyway should I used a walking stick? would I feel like I want ppl to feel sorry for me......hell yes, why do i think this way and is there a way out of this fm confinement?
All advice greatly appreciated,...... A x
Allio
UKFM Member

Re: Is FM the prison sentence I feel it is?

Postby Kyomii » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:17 pm

You have all those diseases/conditions and don't use a walking stick??

With everything you have mentioned healthwise, FM is the least of your worries.
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:47 pm

Myself and many others i have spoken to refer fibro as a prison sentance although these days prison tends to be alot better. Some one i knew got all his education and qualifications in prison plus he lost 5stone as he was working hard in the gym daily and on top of that he had social time! pool, TV , etc... and then theres the 3 meals a day cooked and paid for :!: and so forth...

Lumps... with fibro these can be trigger points

CBT in chronic pain may be of benefit. Helps you and gives you techniques in how to pace / manage pain and much more. You can ask your GP for a referal or advice.

Have you been to the pain clinic? they have more options for pain relief

Have you tried therapies ... physio/massage/accupunture/hydrotherapy/chiropractor/oesteopath/pilates etc...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby loverliesgal » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14 pm

feeling same as, but I will tell you honestly, using a walking stick makes my hands so painful, so I tried crutches, pain in both hands and shoulders, at 49 I feel so stupid pushing a walker. . . but if I want to stay on my feet I do, even with every footstep being like walking on hot coals, I couldn't use a self propelling wheelchair, but will need someone to push me. So four walls very quickly become prison. Raised coeliac lymph nodes give me pain in my tummy, no discernible reason for them. IBS but I blame the meds. So yes if a walking stick helps use it, don't be afraid to use a walker if that causes you less pain to be on your feet. But look the world in the eye and don't give in to it.
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby LoisF » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:43 pm

Had to give up work 18 months ago due to deteriorating health. Was diagnosed 12 months ago after 2 years of atrocious pain and depression. Referral to pain clinic helped for a while then my consultant retired, was referred to a new one who dx FMS and was referred to a psychologist who helped manage my depression and pain in a more effective way. That being said, this Christmad has hammered me. Although better than last year when I was at the end of my tether and was rushed to Emergency GP due to amount of pain having me sat in the dark in tears, leading to temporary morphine patches. (On top of naproxen, tramadol, amatryptiline and paracetamol)
I too am diabetic with extensive arthritis and TMJ.
I use a walking stick, although ideally could do with 2 but the pain in my hands has been intense, I've discovered the handles shaped to support your hand do make a difference.
It's all about trial and error. My new consult changed my tramadol to gabapentin and I have to say I seem to get a few more 'good days'
Don't feel that it's a prison sentence as it's all about experimenting to find the best 'aids' for you. I tend to get pre-prepped veg and stuff easy to make meals with. Although I've set my cooker on fire once and had several near does due to forgetting I was cooking!!
LoisF
UKFM Newbie

Postby Allio » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:01 pm

Kyomii wrote:You have all those diseases/conditions and don't use a walking stick??

With everything you have mentioned healthwise, FM is the least of your worries.

To be honest your answer made me chuckle, only because I often feel like I am such a wimp :lol: so thank you
Allio
UKFM Member

Postby Allio » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:08 pm

Thank you to the advice form,Lisa, LoisF and loverliesgal. I have an appt with the rhuemie in Feb so I will be asking about walking aids, CBT and pain clinic. I will have to have a good talking to myself in the mean time in the hopes of thinking more positively about this prison.
You all seems much more positive than I but I wont be beaten .......(chuntering mantra ..I can do this!)
Allio
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:22 pm

Welli think if something helps you use it, i have tree teens and an 19 month old and I use the buggy for everything shopping walking u name it. I will use a stick once she's walking or a chair if I have to.as for getting to school I shall leave 30 mins early to give me a nice slow walk so another thing u can do is plan ahead.yes sadly fm is the hell you think it is but when life gives you lemons make lemonade.
I only have fm and OA and depression ,that's enough for me.noone needs to tell you what to use or not go with your gut love and do what u think will help you, and don't feel the need to have to explain yourself to anyone x
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm

Allio wrote:You all seems much more positive than I but I wont be beaten .......(chuntering mantra ..I can do this!)

Wrt your rheumy appt, write down the things you want to discuss/know about, it can help act as a prompt/reminder when you are with the rheumy.

We're all at different stages in our FibroQuest. Some are are at a similar point to you ~ recently dx'd and starting off on your journey. Then there are those who a little further along after being dx'd for a few years. And then there are those of us who are a good number of years into our crusade, which is probably where you are picking up on things. As you get further into your quest, you find out more about the condition and how it affects you personally. As you learn more, it enables you to find more suitable ways to manage and live your life, incl having a bit of :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: along the way. It's from these experiences that positivity can grow and spread, along with the approach/attitude that someone has. "I won't be beaten" is a good place to start from and build on :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby a.lyndon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:17 pm

Hi,

I use a stick when I have a flare up. It helps relieve the pressure a little, but you do have the added problem then of pain in hands, writs and elbows.

I have also used crutches which have been beneficial when my back and hips have been really bad.

Do what will help you and don't think of what other people might think. You're the one experiencing the pain so do what helps you live reasonably well.

hope this helps

Ally
a.lyndon
UKFM Member

Postby Allio » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Thank you for the advice and suggestions, I am taking them on board and will write a list of things to speak with my rheumie in Feb, also making an appt with my gp to see if he can get the ball rolling regarding a walking aid.
Allio
UKFM Member

Postby felinefine » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 am

I have read these posts, and what really scare me is my arms and hands are really affected at the mo, I'm not sure what I will do in regards to using a walking stick or crutches if they stay the same.

I know they may not but I feel real doom and gloom today, I'm finding the pain and numbness in my hands far more debilitating than my legs, mind you they are constantly throbbing today........I'm off before I moan too much xxx
felinefine
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia