fibromyalgia or arthritis

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

fibromyalgia or arthritis

Postby beryl23 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:09 pm

can anyone please tell me the difference, if any, between fibromyalgia and arthritis. I'm at a loss as to where to start. Ihave been treated for arthritis for nearly 10 years now, but along the way, fibromyalgia kept being mentioned to me. Earlier this year I had a knee replacement that I feel was not very satisfactory, as the pain was still horrendous. After a talk with the surgeon, and telling him that I had pain from top to toe, especially at certain points, that when pressed on were really painful, he sent me to see another doc at the rheumatology, and he said that the pain was ''probably'' fibromyalgia., and he checked my knee and said that I didn't need a knee replacement but the best thing for me to do was to go outside and dig the garden. I kid you not. I was, and still am walking with two sticks, so maybe you can see why I am so much at a loss with any diagnosis. I am currently taking 10 mg morphine tab x3 per day .. plus 30mg slow release tab x2 per day. As I write this, I am still in a great deal of pain even with these tablets, but the pain is not just in one place, it moves about. I have also got restless leg syndrome which is driving me mad. I did have tablets for this, but I put on too much weight so my GP stopped them. Unfortunately, I have been told that I will need my other knee replacing, and also two new hips before long, so I am so confused. I'm beginning to think that the docs think its all in my head as hes sent me to see a Psychologist. Has anyone out there had anything similar, or maybe can help in any small way...I would be grateful for anyone's input, thankyou.
beryl23
UKFM Newbie

Re: fibromyalgia or arthritis

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:16 pm

:welcome:

From the little i know i am sure they can detect arthritis by your ESR levals? where as fibro does not show up in any blood test.

Thats the difference between the both that i know of.
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby libcal » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:25 pm

I was told by a consultant the Fibro mimics Arthritus, however it effects the muscle sheaths and nerve endings, hence the constant pain, each person is different and has different trigger points and varying degrees of flare ups and symptoms.. Apparently your susceptibility to pain is also a contributary factor.Hence Meds work differently for each person and not at all for others..
Hope this helps and that you have a few good days.xx
libcal
UKFM Newbie

Postby beryl23 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:42 pm

thankyou for the information that you have given me. I didn't know that they could detect arthritis by certain levels, or that fibro mimics arthritis...I shall certainly be going back to my GP for some definite answers now...thanks again for your info,,,very appriciative xxx
beryl23
UKFM Newbie

Postby Kyomii » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:45 pm

I have both. Arthritis s very easily diagnosed with inflammation in blood tests and x rays. Fibro is not so easily diagnosed. It is likely you have both and in my experience one feeds off the other, hence why flares are so painful.
Kyomii
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:57 pm

Beryl....I have both fibro as well as arthritis. Arthritis in my hips knees hands and back, fibro all over, LOL

There is a blood test for fibro. It is very new, very expensive and not available in all countries. I am not sure if the UK offers it.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby singinglynn » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi Beryl,
Osteoarthritis is easily diagnosed by x ray and you will have to have had severe arthritis for doctors to even contemplate doing knee replacement surgery. It is not surgery that they take lightly! However, you can have FM as well as arthritis - I have. It means that our arthritis pain is likely to be more severe than in patients without FM and we tend to present to doctors earlier, with less obvious signs of OA.
I have often felt that my doctors haven't believed me and the pain I am in, but eventually (!) the OA will show on x ray when it is severe enough.
Not a cheerful thought I know, but it does explain perhaps why we feel OA pain earlier than other patients. I KNOW that I have OA of my hips, but it isn't showing yet on x ray. However, it has started to show in my hands so perhaps the doctors will start believing me now!

Good luck and be persistent with the medical professionals you meet - they don't all understand about FM yet! The best way is to provide legitimate clinical research to them and ask them to read it! :-?

Lynn
singinglynn
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:24 am

Lynne, if you don't mind me asking, what age were you when you first started with OA? I have had it for quite a while and when I finally questioned my Dr due to my fingers being very noticeably all out of shape, he said yes, you have had that for a few years. I was 40.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby singinglynn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:49 pm

Hello Whoami,

I started with hip pain in my early 20's but didn't get it looked at because I though 'too young for OA!' It wasn't until my late 30's that I decided to seek help. Got nowhere for 10 years and then was referred to a rheumatologist who diagnosed FM, CFS (mainly coz I couldn't sleep due to multiple joint pain - surprise, surprise) and trochanteric bursitis. Many injections later and considerable lifestyle changes (and Pregabalin) and I can get by although work gets ever harder ( I have a physically demanding job but I'm expected to work until I'm 66 - 54 now so a long time yet!). So OA still not officially diagnosed but it will be by next week when I finally insist on hand x rays for my deformed fingers.
It's true that OA tends doesn't generally appear in younger people (RA does though), but that doesn't mean it never does.
My advice about persistant pain is to keep pushing with GPs and get referrals to consultants. It can be a long slog though!

Don't give up like I did! Medical diagnosis has improved since I was younger.
singinglynn
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:19 am

Lynn....I have OA. I complained about extra different pain from the reg fibro a few years back, I am 56, wow it was quite a few years back LOL

I have degenerative disks also. My family Dr, he's great, took one look at my hands and said you have OA, no xray needed he said. I am going to ask him to xray everything as things are changing. I have shrunk 2inches in height.

Also, I notice that my undies the reg ones not thongs, LOL have taken on a diff shape as if one side is off kilter. Does this make sense as to arthiritis.
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia