Back pain

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Back pain

Postby carlz25 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:42 pm

Can someone help
I've been suffering from severe back pain for around 5 weeks now. It's seized on me when I was putting Xmas tree up and hasn't been right since.
I spoke to doc about it and he said it sounded like it was muscular and just to stick it out.
Nothing at all. Tramadol which I've upped, naproxen, co codamol. Hot baths,heat rubs or hot water bottles are easing it. It getting worse every day. Resulting in me having yet more sick time off work!!
I literally walked about yesterday crying with the pain. I'm so frustrated I can't do anything at all.
But anyways my question is does this sound more like fibro pain to anyone? I've never had issues with lower back before do I'm lost xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlz25
UKFM Member

Re: Back pain

Postby LoisF » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:08 pm

Yes this sounds very familiar. I also get random muscles going into spasm for no apparent reason.
I'm waiting for a facet joint injection into my spine but have had to wait for my blood sugar levels to come down. I'm also type 2 diabetic and found out that Gabapentin can raise blood glucose levels.
I hope you manage to get some relief soon, I know how much back pain can affect your whole body
LoisF
UKFM Newbie

Postby libbiek30 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi pain that doesn't seem to get better does sound llike fibro but it can go as quick and move to another place. Ask ur gp to refer you for accupuncture it really helped my pain and while I was having it I got bad back pain so my physio did some on my back and it went. Hope this is helpful :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby carlz25 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:19 pm

There only seems to be the one gp who is willing to help. I'm starting a thing through work next week that includes 6 weeks of massage but atm I couldn't let anyone touch me.
Just not getting a break and so fed up because my house is still upside down from Xmas [POUTING FACE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlz25
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:05 am

You say you spoke with the GP and not had an examination?

My main symptom is severe muscle stiffness and so i suffer very frequantly with pulled/strained muscles. This can lay me out for weeks! as it then tugs on the other areas causing more pain.

Sounds possibly like you have strained a muscle and really need to get it checked out especially if your not gettin better.

Massage will help but you need for this to settle down a bit first

I hope it eases soon
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby zappa20 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:11 am

If it started after stretching about putting up a Xmas tree, sounds more like a physical muscle injury, which like anything else will take time to sort itself out. If heat and hot baths are easing it , keep them up , a bath with epsom salts can help ease muscle pain as well. Take steps to protect your back, by being sensible. eg no heavy lifting or straining/stretching with the housework ,or slouching on the sofa. Try to keep your back supported when sitting, and if it helps position pillows between your knees to keep it in a good postion when sleeping. Very important stay mobile, but don't start overdoing it , just because the pain subsides a bit.

I've 4 prolapsed discs with nerve impingement and have learned to be very careful with my back or pay the price for anything from 10 days to 12 weeks depending on how much damage I've done, before it settles down and behaves itself again. If it is a mucle injury , or simple back strain ,it's unlikely your GP will be able to offer you much, other than perhaps different painkillers, advice on home care using heat etc or maybe some physio if he thinks your back muscles could do with a bit of improved tone to strengthen them. Because this type of injury always tends to improve with time. Fibro causes heightened pain perception, so you could be finding it a bit more painful than average.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia