eye problems

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

eye problems

Postby cherylb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:49 am

Hi there
ive not been on here for a while but i was hoping someone could help. i have had my eyes tested twice in the last year due to what i thought was me having the wrong prescription. everything ok that way but when i wear my glasses i feel like my eyes are being strained. i do have dry eye and use drops for this. i have been going to the same opticion for years and totally trust them but this has got me stressed i seem to have sore eyes no matter what, :crazy:
will eventually get there....wherever THERE may be
cherylb
cherylb
UKFM Member

Re: eye problems

Postby daisies » Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:03 am

Hi, I have been having the same problem for years, I have been both to the doctor and optician but apart from dry eyes they cannot find any problem. I also keep getting bloodshot eyes which are so bad that my gp sent me to the eye hospital as an emergency but they just said it was weak blood vessels. I have just been plodding along as there does not seem anywhere else to go.
daisies
UKFM Member

Postby dotty lotty » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:24 am

I have been having problems with blurred vision and dry eyes for over a year but when I go to optician my vision is 20:20. But on reducing amitriptyline it is dramatically improving. Check for side effects of medication. :teddy-bear:
dotty lotty
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:18 pm

This is something that comes up quite regularly. With FM affecting the soft tissues in the body, it's not unusual to find the muscles around the eyes bearing some of the brunt at times. This can lead to the tired, sore feelings that are sometimes experienced, even tho vision may be spot on when tested.

The only thing I've found that helps in any way is to not spend too long focusing/concentrating on something, effectively pacing yourself with what you are reading, doing etc, then go away and do something a little more restful, such as having a few mins for yourself to relax, the go back to doing something.

It shouldn't be assumed that these sensations/effects are always down to FM tho, as there can be many, many other possibilities, and anything new, changing, or that is just giving cause for concern it always best checked out by a suitable professional.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Bridgitte » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 pm

I also get "dry" eyes, get itchy blurry. I do go yearly to the opticians and the optician has told me that Fibromyalgia does affect the muscles around the eyes and cause eye strain/tiredness, and last time, September, she checked me for the dry eye syndrome, and said my eyes don't have any dry spots, but would be a good idea to use drops to help relieve tiredness/strain, and also, I had two eyelashes that were turned inwards, causing a lot of itching and she promptly removed them; what a relief that was! I also have the photo's done every year of the back of my eyes to check whatever is going on inside, and so far the blood vessels are only slightly enlarged due to blood pressure, so always worth getting that checked out.
Good luck.x
Bridgitte
UKFM Member

Postby cherylb » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:33 pm

thanks guys for your feed back, its good to know im not imagening the issue, ive had all the check ups and photos taken - all ok. just need to leave computer during the day at work :-D
will eventually get there....wherever THERE may be
cherylb
cherylb
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia