Flare up. Bad timing!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Flare up. Bad timing!

Postby HeppiBean » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:21 am

So it's my first day back at college after the holidays and I have a bit of a breakdown telling my tutor that I've been diagnosed with fibro.

I've managed to calm down now but just as I stopped crying, pain! Everywhere, I feel like I've been laying on a bed of nails with another one pushing down from the other side. Everywhere hurts.

I'm about ready to drop with tiredness and my brain has stopped functioning (there's currently 3 phones in front of me rather than 1). My hands are numb, and stiff, my head is pounding... And I'm an hour and a half away from home :( that includes a 35 minute train journey.

I've popped all the pills I can, currently sitting in the additional learning support office feeling very sorry for myself :(

Sorry for the rant... Xx

Katie. Mummy to 2 with Fibro and HMS.
Sent from my HTC One using TapaTalk.
HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Re: Flare up. Bad timing!

Postby Garyl » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:45 am

I know exactly how you feel, i am in constant agony pains in my feet, hands and arms.Am taking 10 strong pain killers a day worse of all is pains that prevent me sleeping at night.
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby beryl23 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:56 am

Sorry for your situation sweetheart...hope things improve soon....and Garyl, would you mind telling me what tabs you take please they may be better for me than 90 mgs morphine I take daily
beryl23
UKFM Newbie

Postby LynnyG » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:02 pm

Hi HeppiBean,
I think your body is trying to tell you something, listen to it and think about yourself and how it's affecting you. I know your just back after the Hols but I think you should go home and rest, the work will wait for when your ready to deal with it! If you've just been diagnosed then you need to take time to ajust and accept( if we ever do) that you can only do what your body allows you, the more you push, the longer you rest. I hope you feel better soon as most of us using this site actually know how you feel. This has taken me nearly 20 mins to write as I cannot find the words in my head I want to say! Hope it makes some sense to you :crazy: hope this virtual bunch of flowers makes you feel better! :flowers:
LynnyG
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Katie..........You really need to listen to your body luv. The fact that you have been off for the holidays it has
not been a holiday for you. You still had a family to look after. Not just a family but the stress of
Christmas.

Here you are, 2 children at home and school, plus illness that is not just the flu, maybe you are over
doing things. Listen to your body, you need a rest.

Is it possible to take some time from classes?

You can do anything......but not everything.

Take care of yourself, Lorraine x
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby Karou » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:51 pm

Hey hunni,

Sorry you're in so much pain. I'm sending you the softest hugs and [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] [chocolate] .

Could you maybe talk to someone at the college and find out if they'd let you study from home on certain days? Or " attend" via webcam and laptop? Not sure if it would be an option here in the UK but maybe you could ask? Or they might have some other options you could discuss to help you.

I agree with whoami, we all need to listen to our bodies. Not that I'm very good at it but still trying to learn :crazy: Try and take a step back and ask for help if possible. I hope you'll be feeling better soon.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby HeppiBean » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:22 pm

I'm going to try and get through the rest of the day as I'm here now, but have a meeting with department head this afternoon about setting up distance learning.

Thanks for the support everyone xx

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:31 pm

Katie, try and see the college's Disability Adviser type~person, they are there to help you and your tutors formulate a plan for you to carry on with your studies which takes into account your condition. This could be recording lectures to listen to again later, additional time for completing assignments, or whatever else may be of help to you.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby HeppiBean » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks fluppy. My details have been handed over, I've just got to wait for an appointment. :( xx

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby Mark247 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:21 pm

I know exactly how you feel I had a stock take to do today at work and then a review with my area managers but I can't even walk my feet are so swollen and aching all over so had to call in sick. I very rarely call in sick so hopefully they know it is genuine but I know I haven't been at my best at work lately so worrying about that which isn't helping

I've only ever seen a rheumatologist once when I got diagnosed 10 years ago is it worth going back to see him again? My GP says I should keep working but seriously finding it harder and harder both mentally and physically. My body is screaming out inside to just stop, I've pushed myself so hard to keep going but don't think I can keep it up
Mark247
UKFM Newbie

Postby HeppiBean » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:59 pm

Hi Mark, I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on that one. :/ But I'm sorry to hear your having such a rough time x

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby carlz25 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:03 pm

I think it's the anti climax from Xmas and new year. We when have young children tend to just do things regardless. Our body's just have a laugh when it's time for normal life again.
I'm the same been sore all over holidays then today due bk to work didn't sleep a wink last night and off sick today[POUTING FACE] I'm doing an OU degree and have read the same page over and over. Hopefully your college will help my tutor this yr is an a**
Feel better soon x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlz25
UKFM Member

Postby HeppiBean » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:53 pm

Thank you carlz. They rescheduled my meeting until tomorrow, Gahh, fingers crossed they don't reschedule again xx

HeppiBean
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:06 pm

Katie you got upset and then the pain, I think you triggered a bit of a flare as stress and upset do frequently. Hope you got home OK but if it happens again then deep breaths and try to calm yourself down and :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: things will improve enough for you to get through the day. Talking about your diagnosis seems to have triggered some emotions that you have probably been keeping under wraps and thats a good thing that you have let them out. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia