Help with exercising

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help with exercising

Postby leewhyte » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:05 pm

Hey guys!,

Its been awhile since I last posted and things seem to be getting better.

So this leads me to the topic. I'm looking to get back into shape but I'm worried about what exercise I can do without causing too much pain. I use to go to the gym regularly before this started and would love to get back to it.

Any advice on what's good?

Thanks in advance

Lee
leewhyte
UKFM Member

Re: Help with exercising

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:29 pm

Hi start gently and build up. Walking, cycling, swimming amd yoga r gud. Weights and low impact cardio r gud at the gym

Good luck :-D
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby MichelleJ » Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:22 am

Hi lee, I really struggle with a lot of exercise activities. However, I know that exercise can help with the pain if you get it right. I have found that I can tolerate swimming and this really benefits me. I can actually swimming further than I can walk now as my walking is very limited and use a wheelchair. I can also tolerate an exercise bike. I built this up slowly with a physio and had got to 15 mins and 1.5 miles with it although not been good of late and had to leave this but will be getting back into that. If you can walk ok then a treadmill would be useful to increase that. I was advised by my physio to avoid weights to start with but that reps of moving my arms as if I was lifting small weights may be ok. I guess if you can do reps without weights then you could gradually introduce the weights. Maybe start with baked bean tins.

For me it needs to be non impact exercises as walking and other such activities are extremely painful for me and aggravate both my fibro and m.e. Whatever you decide to try though you need to pace it and build it really slowly to find your limits and avoid a bad reaction to it. If you do flare as a result then rest and then when over it try again but do less of it and see how it goes at that. You'll soon find what you can and can't tolerate and also your limits within those activities. Good luck, it's definitely worth trying to introduce exercise as it can be such a benefit to you when you get it right.
Dx with fibromyalgia m.e/Cfs and asthma
MichelleJ
UKFM Member

Postby Somaticman » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:00 am

Hi Lee,

Gentle movement is key. Having lived with fm for nearly 20 years, now 16 years pain free I've put a variety of exercises and movement modalities to a test. Since we're mostly trying to return to comfort, nature has a simple yet powerful way to reset our body back to comfort. It's called a pandiculation. While most people haven't heard of this, there are practitioners who teach this concept. This is based on gentle movement using the brain's cortex to bring the muscles back to comfort.

I just published a very inexpensive ebook on Amazon, Move Like an Animal: Feel Comfortable, Be Flexible, Move Well for Life in 3 Simple Steps. This is based on 10+ years of working with myself and many others using this concept. Not only will you be able to try these simple movement patterns, you can also listen to the audio download that comes with the book - so you can more fully discover how simple movement is powerful.

In another fm group I belong to, here is what someone said: "My dads back is very weak and out of shape and I am finding that by following Eds instructions we are getting some strength back in my dads back and in turn this is radiating outwards to other parts of his body..................Today my dad started to be able to turn the pages of his newspaper, and he has even been able to use the remote control to turn the TV over. He actually managed to use the remote a few weeks ago but now he is doing the somatic exercises he is finding this task much easier.

It is early days but basically Eds somatic exercises are so very gentle and easy to do they are ideal for an illness like what we have, there really is no strain on the muscles at all."

The main thing is not to strain when doing any exercise. The straining or over-efforting is what can cause the "stretch reflex" mechanism to turn on and re-tighten things.

Since there are many options other than the one I practice, practices such as feldenkrais are comparable since these are floor based types of movement. Since we all developed our muscles from the ground up, doesn't it make sense to get back on the floor or in bed - and start over.

Heck, I do these everyday and fortunately I've been able to play soccer and go skiing without exertion and pain. Our muscles can be comfortable when we go to the well of reminding our muscles how to move comfortably in the first place. Hope that helps you get a good start back on a full recovery.
Somaticman
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:04 am

Somaticman wrote:I just published a very inexpensive ebook on Amazon, Move Like an Animal: Feel Comfortable, Be Flexible, Move Well for Life in 3 Simple Steps. This is based on 10+ years of working with myself and many others using this concept. Not only will you be able to try these simple movement patterns, you can also listen to the audio download that comes with the book - so you can more fully discover how simple movement is powerful.
Artisan wrote: 3. Do not spam the forums, or our members directly, either by posting unauthorised commercials to the group or by repeatedly posting the same message.

Under the Basic Rules For Membership as explained in Rule 3 (quoted above) members are not allowed to use the forum for any form of advertising, which is what you are doing both on this topic and the other one you have posted on today.

Looking back at your previous posts, the last of which were, before today's, way back in November 2008, this matter has arisen before, and a reminder of the forum rules was necessary then.

Please ensure that your future posts meet with the Basic Rules For Membership.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby zappa20 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:45 am

leewhyte wrote:Hey guys!,

Its been awhile since I last posted and things seem to be getting better.

So this leads me to the topic. I'm looking to get back into shape but I'm worried about what exercise I can do without causing too much pain. I use to go to the gym regularly before this started and would love to get back to it.

Any advice on what's good?

Thanks in advance

Lee

The Fibro clinic at our hospital use these stretchy bands you can do varous stretching and muscle building exercises with and also these bouncy balls you can sit on .Most important thing is to teke things slowly and build up over time. Even just walking at your own pace on a flat surface and increasing the pace and length of the walk will help, and they say being out in the fresh air improves your night's sleep.

After not using mucles even for a short time, muscles can complain really loudly if you overdo it to start with and seize up. My OH normally has a 20 minute walk every day to change train stations going to work. Just being laid up for a week with a throat infection over Christmas then mainly lounging about for the rest of his holiday meant his muscles were killing him after going back to work on Monday. And he's normally fairly fit and healthy.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby fletch » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:34 am

I try and keep myself active in every day things and do light exercise but I'm in pain all the time but it amazes me when people post about going cycling jogging golf etc how? I find it impossible to run or cycle as the pain would be so unbearable I would be in agony for days and days afterwards

Sorry for the rant
fletch
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia