Full Body Bone Scan

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Full Body Bone Scan

Postby leetankers » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:22 am

Just wondered if anyone else on this site had been for one of these and what to expect and what their outcomes had been.I,m a bit worried as to what may be wrong with me now as although I,m taking the maximum dosages of my meds my pains are getting worse!Most days I am in that much pain I just want to sleep!I just wish I could have one day of feeling like I used to do before this horrible illness came along, as to be honest I have forgot about what I used to feel like and it does upset me...Thanks in advance for any replies.............Lee
leetankers
UKFM Member

Re: Full Body Bone Scan

Postby jennie g » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:54 am

Hiya, I had to have a full body bone scan, it was ok. They were just checking if anything else was going on within the bones. Only other thing mine picked up was Osteoarthritis in my feet and shoulders. It also checks for Rheumatoid Arthritis too and any degeneration of the bones that may be causing you so much pain.
Are you having to have an injection a while before the scan? I did, then had to go back, had to avoid pregnant women and children because it's mildy radio active.
The only thing I found was it got a bit uncomfortable laying still on the hard scanner for the time it took to do the scan, other than that it's nothing to worry about.

Hope all goes well for you.
:lol:
Jen
x
jennie g
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:01 am

Hi! a couple of questions.....about what age are you and gender?
.....do you have or is there question of any arthritis?
.....Menopausal ?

I don't know about in the UK but a full body bone scan is done, almost routine for women reaching a certain age, if you show arthritis or are menopausal with symptoms of bone pain. Any bone pain that shows no reason will likely be reason for a scan. I know of a few fibro patients that have had full body bone scans looking for a cause of the pain.

I have had fully body scans before and am to be scheduled for a bone scan. They inject a dye into you that shows the bones which in turn shows any abnormality. It takes about an hour. You stay still and sometimes they play music for you to help relax.

Hopefully someone has more info for you.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby zappa20 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:21 am

I'd one with the injection etc several years ago, because I'd a very precise spot of lower back pain when pressed and the orthopaedic surgeon was at the time convinced it wasn't caused by a disc problem. So sent for full body scan in case it was a bone infection or abscess etc. Results were fine.

An MRI done at a year later after I developed terrible sciatica , leg weakness and my bladder had totally seized up revealed several prolapsed discs which had inflamed the nerve roots. Discs are fine now, unless I do something silly.

Most tests are done to a protocol depending on what symptoms you tell them about, until they've established or ruled out any possible causes. Fibro can cause terrible widespread pain at times which can be worrying, and no cause can be found. No need to worry until a doctor tells you there is. So stay calm as stress will increase your Fibro pain. Hope it goes well.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby leetankers » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:57 am

Hi Jennie and Whoami.............Yes I have to have a dye injected into me about 3 hours before the scan so it shows up easier.Although I feel as if I could be menopausal at any given time I rather doubt it as I am a 43 year old male!! :-D x
leetankers
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:20 am

leetankers wrote:Hi Jennie and Whoami.............Yes I have to have a dye injected into me about 3 hours before the scan so it shows up easier.Although I feel as if I could be menopausal at any given time I rather doubt it as I am a 43 year old male!! :-D x

:clap: LOL! Stranger things have happened!

Hopefully all will be fine. I imagine since the other symptoms are tossed, the Dr is
checking because of the fibro pain. Let us know how things go. Is the test soon?
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby leetankers » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:26 pm

Hi Whoami the scan is for next Tuesday (14th) I don,t really know what the best outcome would be for me....Is there was any op they could do if it is bone problems?And if it,s not then I suppose I,ll just have to manage the best I can with it!Just the leg pain,burning feet etc is driving me mad..Lee x
leetankers
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:01 am

Lee, to be honest we could all sit here and guess as to what we think your scan might, could or won't show and all be wrong.

I think you should try not to think about it as much as you are and wait until a Dr gives you the all OK or a diagnosis.

I know it is easy for me to say that, I am not in your shoes. With dealing with fibro for so long, numerous illnesses, having had many, many surgeries, stroke and cancer, I now have learned, I think I have, to not start worrying about things I have no control over.

You will drive yourself crazy, then that will be another thing to deal with.LOL

It won't be long now until the scan is done and you have results. If this scan is really bothering you, either thr procedure or the possible results, make an appointment to talk to your Dr and tell him how you feel and the questions you have.

Lorraine
[i][b]

whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby leetankers » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:27 pm

Thanks for all your advice Lorraine,it,s great to know that there are people like yourself out there who bother to take the time to help others such as myself.I have made an appointment to see my doctor on Friday and I will ask him a few questions then.I also think my meds need changing as the pain I,m in is getting worse rather than better!....Lee x
leetankers
UKFM Member

Postby leetankers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:08 pm

Well I got the results of my bone scan today but don,t really understand fully what they mean!Just tried to google some of the parts about the uptaking but not too much I understand there either!Think I am having a blank day.Anybody had the same or can enlighten me to how theirs turned out.....Lee
leetankers
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:23 pm

I've answered on your other post Lee
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia