Confused - inflammation or not?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Confused - inflammation or not?

Postby Karou » Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:51 am

Hi,

After being back at doctor's and being given naproxen again I find myself totally puzzled. I went there mainly because of the pain in my spine ( still waiting to hear from spinal surgeon ) and also mentioned other joint pain and swollen hands and stiffnessin the mornings . It didn't work straightaway but my joint pain seems to have slightly improved. Lying in bed I suddenly noticedthat yes, this pain is still crazy but my arms and legs don't throb and burn as bad.

My GP never said Fibro is inflammatory and my levels were fine he said. But then why is naproxen working? I saw neurologist, rheumatologist, etc and no one ever mentioned rheumatism or arthritis but I'm worried that something is affecting not just the spine but other joints as well.

Not sure how I could ask my doctor though. I don't want them to thinkI'm desperate for medical attention or something like that and I'm fed up with people not believing me that it's not all in my head. :( I'm not well and want to know why or at least that yes, it's "just" Fibro. This joint pain ( it feels like the joints, different from all the other pain, but maybe I'm wrong?) hasn't been there in the beginning. It crept up on me and then was too much to go unnoticed.

Now I can't move my arms or legs like before and when I try to sleep, it has to be on my side with arms stretched out straight in front or they'll throb, stab, burn, cramp from shoulder to finger tips. I only have 2 positions I can sleep in. Ugh...sorry for rambling on, insomnia is taking control and I'm worried/scared.

I'd be grateful for any advice or thoughts on this.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Confused - inflammation or not?

Postby Mark247 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:38 am

I can relate to this. I get it in my arms a lot especially at night where I can't keep my arms still. My main area that is affected on a regular basis are my ankles they swell up double the size and it is almost impossible to walk on, I have been to the Drs when they have been at their worst and had blood tests taken. The results for inflammation came back negative so I asked him what it was in that case as he has seen it for himself. He told me it is jus the Fibromyalgia and nothing they can do just need to live with it. It is so frustrating let alone painful
Lately have had it in my lower back it just seems to be spreading and getting worse, sleep is virtually impossible so If you do get any Answers as to what it is or of anything that will help I would love to know

I hope you feel better soon

Best Wishes

Mark
Mark247
UKFM Newbie

Postby whoami » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:33 am

Karou...Even though Naproxen is an anti inflamatory it is also used to control pain and stiffness. That is why it can help.

Years ago I was given Naproxen but after many years of numerous medications my stomach could not handle Naproxen and some other medications.

If it helps you great, I wouldn't worry as to why it does. Medications, many different ones, work for us with fibro and sometimes those same meds will not work for others with fibro.

I have been dealing with fibro for 25 years and the pain is all over. The pain can feel different in different places. I have burning pain, stabbing pain, aching pain and knawing pain. The pain in my lower back or hips and knees is different from my arms.

Don't feel embarrassed to talk to your Dr. That is why you have him.

Lorraine.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:44 am

Karou you might find this Linky worth a look.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Karou » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:45 am

Hello again :-)

Thanks for your replies.

Mark, I get a lot of pain and stiffness in my lower back too. I know only part of this is Fibro, the rest of it is because I have a slipped vertebra and damaged disc. What helps for the Fibro part of my problem is hot baths, electric heating pad, TENS and sometimes ice or massage. I feel for everyone struggling with this, it's a pain in the :girl_moon: - literally. And sometimes too stubborn to respond to anything. Thanks for telling me about the swelling in your ankles with no obvious inflammation. At least I know it's not just me and I'm not crazy.

whoami, now that you mentioned it, it clicked and I realised that the pain does indeed feel different. Not just in different areas. Even the pain itselfchanges. You're right, I shouldn't worry why it helps if it helps. My too active brain just starts to doubt that it's really happening and keeps asking " ok if this helps, does it mean you'll need this forever? And if so, what if there is something else going on and you could get relief but because no one checks you never will?" Hope that makes sense. :crazy:

FluppyPuffy, thanks for the link. A very interesting read, it makes a lot of sense to me. Hopefully one day someone can figure this monster inside of us out and find a way to put it in a cage. Far away from us.

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:49 am

It's difficult, but if you can accept that the widespread pain and stiffness you're feeling is due to the fibro from increased pain perception etc, then it will go a long way to helping you get your pain levels etc under control. Stressing and overthinking there must be some hidden reason to explain the pain just makes everything worse. Even when it is often a normal initial reaction to finding yourself hurting all over.

zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby debsmith » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:58 pm

Hia everyone

Re: inflamation I too am confused.com! I too get swollen ankles etc and have S1/L5 amongst fibro etc I saw rhummi monday kept waiting a hour+half!!!!! Who told me I have "NO" inflamation in my blood test results either,but iron low she asked if periods bad heck yes! So guess got 1 answer,she's put me on list for another mri on lower back as its hell! And ultrasound on knee as swollen but sides of knee OMG!!!! OOUCH any1 else get this? She gave me a tennis ball exercise 2do "pmsl" I know something not right there! She did say later sides of ur knee pain is excrushiating tel me about it!
Been trying to get to bottom of it for months!
Had tennis elbow op new yrs eve too :( I wonder why in our blood tests inflamation doesn't show up?? Any1 else have a nickel,mercury,heavy metal allergy??? Plus a preservative called thiormersal??? Just curious as there's some info on the FM front page sorry 4 rant mega fed up like most of us ahhhhh!!!! Sending hugs 2u all and :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: :girl_moon: to this flippin fibro!
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:22 pm

You got me there, zappa, I'm a chronic over thinker and have to analyse everything. Even if it doesn'texactly help the cause. I'm also someone who doesn't like giving in or up. Which makes it kinda hard for me to accept that it's " just Fibro" because then it wins. Bad habit, I know. :oops: Trying to retrain the brain but not sure how.

Lol deb, your last sentence made me giggle. It's exactly what I wanna tell Fibro.

I too get pain on the sides of my knees, especially when touched there. Or the hips, omg insane sharp bolts of lightning. The other day my cat sat on me and he's just a little over 4kg. I thought I had a knife in my hip. Had steroid injections there twice but they don't want to give them too often because of the negative things they could do.

Not sure about the other things, haven't really heard about the preservative but nickel is bad for me. Once bought some lovely earrings but after a day my ears were red, sore and bleeding. And for days they hurt like crazy when touched. So now I stick to what other jewelry I have. :-?

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:14 am

Karou wrote:You got me there, zappa, I'm a chronic over thinker and have to analyse everything. Even if it doesn'texactly help the cause. I'm also someone who doesn't like giving in or up. Which makes it kinda hard for me to accept that it's " just Fibro" because then it wins. Bad habit, I know. :oops: Trying to retrain the brain but not sure how.

Lol deb, your last sentence made me giggle. It's exactly what I wanna tell Fibro.

I too get pain on the sides of my knees, especially when touched there. Or the hips, omg insane sharp bolts of lightning. The other day my cat sat on me and he's just a little over 4kg. I thought I had a knife in my hip. Had steroid injections there twice but they don't want to give them too often because of the negative things they could do.

Not sure about the other things, haven't really heard about the preservative but nickel is bad for me. Once bought some lovely earrings but after a day my ears were red, sore and bleeding. And for days they hurt like crazy when touched. So now I stick to what other jewelry I have. :-?

Me too. lol. Think it's a common trait in people who've experienced Fibro to be deep thinkers as well as fairly sensitive to others. But I work along the premise of Sherlock Holmes (isn't Benedict Cumberbatch just great in that role) 'once you've eliminated the impossible, whatever remains however improbable must be true'

Having previous experience of diabetic sensory nerve pain, (identical burning,electric shock and slightest touch hurting nerve pain albeit due to nerve endings having been damaged by high sugar levels) made it very easy for me to accept how Fibro nerve pain could work and I'd already learned from the diabetic problem, that pain perception is increased by feelings of stress and despair etc over the pain.
I didn't see accepting fibro as a diagnosis as giving up. I saw accepting Fibro, for what it was, as my first step on the road to recovery.
Because then I could get on with learning or working out how to deal with it and improve things. Hope things get a little better for you soon. Sometimes access to a Pain clinic can be helpful in finding what might work best for you.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:18 pm

zappa20 wrote: Think it's a common trait in people who've experienced Fibro to be deep thinkers as well as fairly sensitive to others.

It is something that a lot of us seem to share which, whilst good at times, can also be a :pigoink 1: to deal with. It's something that has affected me, greatly at times, thru the years. I would over think everything that I had to do, may have to deal with, and had done previously, coming up with so many different scenarios for each possibility, to the point where it was eventually firing up all sorts of worries and anxieties about things I had no control over :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Now tho, it thankfully doesn't seem to be quite as bad :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: When I catch it happening, I literally stop in my tracks and ask myself "Is this something that I can control/do something about?? Usually the answer is "No" which can be enough to stop things there and then. If it isn't enough tho, I then go onto asking myself "Is it something that is going to affect me directly??" If it isn't, then off I go to do something else, as it's a good way for the fog to hide what it was that I had been worrying about. If it is something that will affect me, I'll give myself 5~10 mins to jot down how it could affect me and what I could do to deal with it. Then I bobble off to do something else, which helps put it to one side, so whilst I'm mindful of it, it's not at the front of everything. And quite often I'll forget what was bothering me so much until it had been and gone, usually without having any effect on me :tongueout: :tongueout: :tongueout:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby zappa20 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:00 am

As a bunch we're all just too nice and kind for this world FP. . lol. but you're correct, it can cause many problems with Fibro pain etc until we learn a technique like yours or similar to deal with it.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia