Moving on up.. Slowly

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Moving on up.. Slowly

Postby Sye » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:30 am

Hi guys, its been a while. You might remember me, I joined a few months ago when I saw a new doctor who introduced fibromyalgia to me after a few years of health issues.

Well on the 16th of December I saw my Rheumatologist who formally diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia and has now started me on a care plan and pain management support for the forseeable future. I know having fibromyalgia isn't something to be pleased with but I'm just so happy I now have a name for whats happening to me and that people can see its real.

Its been a good month, strangely since being diagnosed I've had a few more good days than usual (Despite dislocating my knee twice in the last few weeks which is very painful!) but have recently gone down hill again. I've had some diet changes too. I no longer consume dairy as I found out it's what irritates my IBS and I've cut down on wheat and gluten for the same reason. I'm eating healthier and compensating for the lack of dairy with other things such as almond and hazelnut milk, lactose free yogurts and a few other things and I've noticed such a difference, though not stopping my symptoms completely but i'm pleased with what i've got so far.

I just thought i'd update you all. Thanks for all the support you gave me during my struggle for a diagnosis!

Sye
I am, and always will be
The Optimist,
The Hoper
Of Far-Flung Hopes,
The Dreamer
Of Improbable Dreams.
Sye
UKFM Member

Re: Moving on up.. Slowly

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:06 am

:welcome: back Sye, good to hear from you again :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:

Glad you've finally been dx'd, being in LimboLand is so frustrating, esp if your stay there is a long one :facepalm: :facepalm:

Sounds like you have a good Rheumy on your side, something that everyone should be able to have access to instead of the dinosaurs that are still roaming some of the corridors of the NHS.

With something like FM, as well as the babysteps forward that you take, there will also be the times when you find yourself going backwards, or downhill a little, like you're experiencing at the moment. As things start to settle back down for you, hopefully you'll find yourself making up those steps that took you downhill, as well as taking a few more of them forwards :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:

There are a few on here who have also found that making dietary changes similar to the ones you've made have helped with their symptoms and how they feel, so you're in good company. And the range of stuff that is dairly/lactose and wheat/gluten free seems to be increasing week~by~week, giving you a far greater choice, as well as managing to allow yourself a little treat or 2 along the way.

It's nice to hear when someone has found a way to get things going in a better direction for them, and hopefully when you start going up the nicer side of your little downhill slip, you'll find ways to help you with the next steps in your FibroQuest :cow-wave: :cow-wave: :cow-wave:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Re: Moving on up.. Slowly

Postby Jeany » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:27 am

I too have changed to gluten free, which was necessary for my IBS as I found my stomach just would not tolerate normal bread and pasta any more although it hasn't cured it it has improved, I also find that porridge upsets my stomach, as do certain other foods.
I also gave up smoking and drinking when I was diagnosed with CFS/Fibromyalgia, and that has helped too.
I'm up and down all the time, and have now learned to accept the bad days and cherish the goo ones. I know what you mean though about being relieved to have been diagnosed at last, although I myself became quite emotional when the rhematologist told me .
Keep your chin up and your body will let you know what it needs.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia