Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Postby carlz25 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:26 am

So, because I've felt a great deal better this week I decided to start incorporating some exercise into my routine (just some gentle walking).
I've got it into my head if I can shift some weight it might help me.
So past two nights I've got my stuff on and went for a half hr walk with the dog.
Got up this morn and not only is my back sore but my shoulders, arms, neck and down the front of my shins......I think I've sent myself into a flare.
This illness is so frustrating, I'm supposed to be back at work tomorrow too :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlz25
UKFM Member

Re: Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Postby Garyl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:02 am

I must admit losing weight is a good idea not just for Fibro but general health. The thing to remember is not to over do it. I have lost about a stone in weight over past 18 months, Although the fibro is just as bad i feel better for weight loss.

Exercise is a good thing to aid with Fibro but sadly i suffer with the pains more and more, last night just a hours sleep off now for my daily walk
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:33 am

It sounds a bit like you've done the thing most of us do at first carlz........started off with doing more than what your body can actually cope with at this stage. That first step we introduce needs to be a baby step, and then we add more baby steps to the process as we find ourselves feeling more capable to do so.

For CFS, I followed a plan very similar to a graded exercise scheme, part of which involved increasing how far I walked. I started off adding extra bits to the length of walkings DeeDee took me out for, but after a couple of goes found I was feeling much worse pain and fatigue wise. It was when I went for my next session, and was explaining what I had been doing, that I found out I was using an unsuitable approach, and that things need to be done in smaller segments and over a longer period of time than what I was thinking.

The first part of my revised plan was to incorporate some stretching exercises into each day, starting with just 1 or 2 reps of a couple of simple ones, then very gradually increase both the number of reps as well as the number of stretches I was doing. When I reached 5 reps for each stretch I was doing, then I could add another one to the plan, and starting off with 1 or 2 reps, begin to include it each day. This has been ongoing for 18 months now, and I now have quite a varied range of stretches and stamina~building exercises that I work from, depending on which area of my body needs it on the day.

The second part was to increase my walking ability. This started off with adding a 5 minute walk, as well as the stretches I was doing, on each day that DeeDee took OH out for walkings. Over the 18 months I have managed to build it up to 10 minutes each day I'm not walked by her, with my long, long term goal being to increase the length of the afternoon walkings to the same length as the morning walkings we do, with the ultimate point I'm hoping to reach being to accompany OH on some of the days when he is walked :penguin: :penguin: :penguin: :penguin:

For something like you're wanting to do, starting off with the teeny~tiny bits is absolutely essential as achieving each little goal that you set yourself will make much more of a difference to you, and give you the motivation to keep going with it compared to how doing what you tried out yesterday has left you feeling, both physically and emotionally. You will get there when you find the right swing of things for you, and ultimately it will help with moving some weight (in conjunction with the right eating plan for you.)
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby LibbyWick » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:39 pm

I absolutely agree with Fluffypuppy. Tiny teenie baby steps. Motivation is the first and sometimes the hardest, so a big well done to you for achieving that first step and more. Good luck and keep at it but slowly slowly.
ps - I need to listen to my own advice more :roll:
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby carlz25 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:39 pm

Lol I genuinely thought the short walks I was doing would be ok and I'm not even walking that fast as my daughter is normally with me. Think today is going to have to be a rest day for me.
What's the thoughts on carrying extra weight and it's affects on pain.
Personally I believe I used to be over weight but fit. Now walking up the stairs nearly kills me. I'm getting really pee'd off with people saying you need to do this and try this. Just not listening when I say it hurts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlz25
UKFM Member

Postby Zeberdi » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:05 pm

I went on the grief diet and lost 6 stone when my husband was ill and after he died. It did make life easier for me because I just wasn't hauling that 6 stone around.

However I was ALWAYS cold and cold makes me hurt a lot.

I have put back on about three stone as I really did go very skinny, a size eight was loose and even at 18 years of age I was a 10/12. One of the problems with fibro is you do put weight on and I don't want to put any more on because of the extra strain on my body. At the moment I could do with loosing a stone to be right but easier said than done. I never want to be really skinny again because it hurt too much and never being warm was horrible.

I have started taking that fruit extract gardinia something or other. I have to say it seems to be helping in many ways. I am not so hungry but haven't tried to loose weight but it is moving off me. It also seems to have had a benefit on my fibro. I looked up what this was used for before the weight loss craze got hold of it. Turns out it is good for stomach problems, is good at detoxing the system and increases energy levels. I have to say my irritable bowel hasn't been as bad since I have been taking it. I am in the middle of a really bad flare but I am getting the odd 'good' day where I can go for a walk or get some things done, even concentrate a little. Not much of an improvement but enough that I notice.

I also get the people with all the advice. My sister has type 1 diabetes and is a fanatic with her excersise EVERY single day and also has problem with her shoulders and associated problems to her condition. She seems to think I should tackle my problem the way she does - head on and push on through it and makes me feel weak for not being able to. This attitude is then passed on as judgement to my extended family who see me as a bit of a wimp and no interest in understanding. I do understand the full impact of my sisters illness having had a type 1 diabetic father since my birth and my sister at the age of 6. I had to learn to be able to care for them both and I know how hard my Dad had to fight to still be here till he was 72 with all the complications involved. It seems what I have isn't as much of a problem and maybe the long term damage of diabetes means she is right. Thing is when day to day is crap and life can't be planned for and people refuse to have any acceptance of it you can feel very isolated and vulnerable.

Sorry, waffle.

In short not having the weight helps because you aren't working as hard to do everything but the pain can be as bad either way. I would suggest the supplement as it can't do any harm and actually seems to help my fibro and even seems to be moving the weight too and it isn't expensive either.

I do the too much and fall flat but sometimes you just have to but slow, steady and careful will win in the longer term.xx Good luck.
Zeberdi
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:56 pm

carlz25 wrote:Lol I genuinely thought the short walks I was doing would be ok

The idea is perfectly sound, it's the timing you started with that made things go pear~shaped. I did exactly the same thing, and so does pretty much everyone else who starts off doing something like this. Don't let how it has made you feel today beat you. While you're giving things a chance to settle down, have a think about how far you might be able to go (incl the return walk) without making things too uncomfortable for yourself. I was then told to take 20% off that time and use it as my baseline. So, for example, if you feel that you could manage 20mins walking without making things too bad, 20% of that is 4, which would mean that your starting baseline would be 16mins, 8mins walking, then turning round and doing 8mins back the way you have gone. It doesn't have to be done with distances or time, landmarks can work well, such as gateways or street lights. So you would see how many street lights you can walk past before things become too uncomfortable, then go back. If you could manage 6 street lights there, and the 6 back, then you could set yourself an initial weekly target of adding 1 street light to the number and see how it goes.

For me, carry extra weight definitely adds, or seems to add an extra element to how things feel. When things first stared for me, altho not exactly at my ideal weight, I was a heck of a lot lighter. Over the first few years virtually doubled my body weight :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: I then managed to shift about half of what I had gained, and the difference then compared to how I had felt prior to shifting it was :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Unfortunately, I've not been able to shift any more over the past few years, so have been stuck as I currently am :( :( :( :(
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia