Aspartame

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Aspartame

Postby Laurajojo » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:36 pm

I'm sorry if this has been raised before. But has anyone found their condition aggravated by the artificial sweetener Aspartame? I've been reading some bad stuff on the net about it possibly causing fibromyalgia type muscle pain.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Re: Aspartame

Postby woodwasp » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:25 pm

hi laura, yes like you i too find aspartame brings on other symptoms, ive also found that most spicy food to also gives me bad muscle burning also :nono: :nono:
woodwasp
UKFM Member

Postby Sioriwish » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:27 pm

yup! by aspartame and acesulfame k. I feel drained and I get headachey when I drink stuff with them in.
I would avoid them both, but the only problem is they're in a lot of stuff, so finding something to drink, like a pop, that doesn't have them in is rather difficult :x
Sioriwish
UKFM Member

Postby bevmraw » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi, I have real problems with aspartame and do my best to avoid it. It seems to aggregate my symptoms and I find I can taste it and my food tastes funny. X
bevmraw
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:57 pm

This is something that comes up fairly frequently. Doing a search throws up quite a few references from previous years.

Personally I've never had any problems with Aspartame, or any other artificial sweeteners. I have had times when I have tried to cut them out of my diet as much as possible, but have found doing so makes absolutely no difference to my symptoms.

It seems to be another one of those things that whilst it has an effect on some, for others it doesn't.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Laurajojo » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:30 am

Thanks guys. As my symptoms have got worse recently I've decided to cut it out of my diet completey to see if it makes a difference. It is difficult though because, as you say sioriwish, it is in a lot of diet products, not just drinks, but food stuff as well such as low fat yoghurt and even chewing gum.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Postby Sioriwish » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:29 pm

Well tbh, anything that says "diet or low fat" on it is a fad. They remove stuff that actually aren't over all that bad for you in certain quantities and put things in that are worse for you that make you get addicted to them. I'd just avoid anything that says "diet or low fat" in general. xD
Sioriwish
UKFM Member

Postby Laurajojo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Just to report back. I have not noticed any real difference in my symptoms, but I will still try to avoid it as much as i can.
xx Laura
Laurajojo
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia