Problems with exercise

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Problems with exercise

Postby IndakasaLooking » Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:51 am

Hi just wondered if anyone has any ideas or suggestions...

I have had fibro for years I think but only diagnosed by doctor last month. Take lots of medicine which helps most of the time however my problem is that I have gained 4 stone in weight over last year and in part know this is due to medication however I haven't had the healthiest of diets so am partly to blame myself.

Anyway I am now counting calories and trying to exercise which brings me to my situation...I want to exercise but my body cannot seem to cope with it. I've tried swimming and it hurts too much when trying to move in pool and I've tried walking before and always end up in too much pain immediately afterward for example yesterday I walked to 20mins at a slow pace and when I got back home was I'll with what can only be described as exhaustion. Now today I am even worse and cannot see a way to exercise without the pain being too much.

Has anyone else experience of this......
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs a little clearer for easier reading.
IndakasaLooking
UKFM Newbie

Re: Problems with exercise

Postby Jeany » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:20 pm

Start with 5 minute gentle walk, and stay at that for several weeks then increase by 1 minute. Gradually build up VERY slowly, and take a walk every other day if you are well enough.

I too put on a lot of weight as I am a comfort eater, and if I feel unwell my stomach is a bottom less pit, but I found that the more I ate the more I wanted to eat, and that applied to sweet things especially.

Now after a good Christmas, which I enjoyed everything that was on the menu I am back on the slimming world extra easy diet. I am doing it by myself this time as I no it works. It's really easy and no calorie counting, and you will not go hungry. You can eat as much lean meat, fish, pasta, rice, fruit and veg as you want on the extra easy version, and then you have syns for your little extra indilences.
Have a go and let me know how you are doing. x
Last edited by FluppyPuffy on Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Made paragraphs a little clearer for easier reading.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 pm

Ever heard of chairrobics , doing some gentle exercise with your arms and tummy muscles like a DIY slendertone I'm doing 40 muscles pull up 2 times a day and I can feel them working and I haven't hurt myself doing it, u can do leg lifts in a chair and your bum and u can start off as pp said slowly xxxxx
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby LibbyWick » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:54 pm

It is so difficult, you have my sympathy. My daughter and I both have FM. Have both put on loads of weight. Having got the festive season out of the way it's time for us to try get ourselves fitter and we've found a great way to get a little exercise and have some fun together. We have a Wii with the WiiFit board. They say laughter is the best medicine and I think we spend more time laughing than exercising but taking part in some of the games has been very beneficial. The worst thing to get over is finding the motivation. But you'd be surprised by how gently you can start. Any exercise, no matter how little, is better than none. I've seen a psychiatrist and a psychologist for therapy and CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) and found that very beneficial also. As was pointed out to me, just getting out the front door and standing on the step in the fresh air is beneficial. Take is slowly. Good luck
LibbyWick
UKFM Member

Postby Kalev » Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi,
I too have a problem with weight gain & exercise but it's true you have to do a little & often with little brakes in between swimming in good as it supports your whole body at the same time. As for the pain I know what you mean but I've gone through all the pain killers & none of them work any more so I've come to the conclusion that I'll just have to put up with it. I must say the fitter I get the less pain I feel when I do anything so the only advice I can offer is to do a little have a rest then do some more then over the weeks very slowly increase the amount you do, it will get better but you have to keep at it & yes I afraid it will hurt but nobody said life would be easy.
Kalev
UKFM Member

Postby paulamcl » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:33 pm

I do a 20 min pilates dvd. it's Mari Winsor pilates. It's gentle movements and you go at your own pace and stretch as far as is comfortable. When I started out doing this dvd it hurt a lot but I felt better after it. Some weeks I can do this dvd 5 times a week others I can manage it once and others I cant manage it at all. We all know what FM is like it sneaks up and drains us whenever it likes. My advice would be just take it easy, listen to your body, don't over do it, find something that you like doing and get a friend or family member to join you for support and motivation. Good luck :-D
paulamcl
UKFM Member

Postby In2freedom » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:52 pm

I empathise with you and I suggest very much what the others have suggested....as with most things 'we' need to stick with it and take control of our situation, 'illness' otherwise it will control 'us'....take it steady, gently, and with a balanced healthy menu plan but stick with it and your commitment will pay off.....I too am at Slimming World and walk daily ....and I am finding that 'balance' is the key...pace myself and learn from each day what to bring into the next day.....its not easy but it is possible and you will feel better....I am only saying this from experience....I know I have a tendency to overdo things in general and it doesn't pay off....being open minded, willing, making a commitment to myself, personal responsibility, continuity and balance and endeavouring a positive 'winning' attitude helps me no end....! without these my illnesses will take my life completely! my thoughts and prayers are with you....x
In2freedom
UKFM Newbie

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:59 pm

painprincess1 wrote:Ever heard of chairrobics

I was going to make the very same suggestion :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:

I asked Mr Googly about chair~based exercise and here are a few linkys he gave me
From British Heart Foundation
From NHS Choices
Sit & Be Fit
About.com Seated Exercise
Altho they are mostly aimed at older people, there is an awful lot that we can gain from them as well. Start off with what you can manage without making yourself feel too uncomfortable. It doesn't matter if it is just 1 rep of an exercise, as it's 1 rep closer to getting yourself a little more active.

Set yourself steps/goals that you have a good chance of achieving, for example, if 1 rep is what you are starting from, then aim to add 1 more rep to what you are doing at suitable periods of time for you, such as 1 per week, 1 every 2 weeks, it's all about whatever works best for you.

As time passes, they should become more manageable as you find your stamina and activity levels starting to improve :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Babs44 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:28 pm

I too have put on 4 stone. I have a wii board but find it very difficult to use as I fall off it. I have promised I will try again and also try and go swimming although my idea of swimming is really walking in the water rather than actually swimming, I find it makes my arms hurt too much.

I assume we have all eaten too much over Christmas but I do find that once I start to eat I need to keep going. If I can wait four hours between eating I am doing very well.

I find my legs fill up with water so wear support stockings every day but that does not help when getting weighed if I have built up water I weigh more than if I can keep it down.

Best of luck everyone.

Barbara :-)
Babs44
UKFM Newbie

Postby IndakasaLooking » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:15 am

Thank you all for your responses am definitely going to try chairrobics and see how it goes. It really is such a support to get the right kind of advice from other sufferers and I did slimming world a long time ago so will maybe give it a try again!! :-D
IndakasaLooking
UKFM Newbie

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia