Help Needed To Understand Bone Scan Results

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Help Needed To Understand Bone Scan Results

Postby leetankers » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:58 pm

Just wondered if anyone could make sense of a letter I received back from the hospital today..........It reads as follows..................The result of your bone scan is now available.There is some increase in uptake on the scan which is non-specific in your ankles and feet.There is also a suggestion that there maybe some uptake in the wrists,knees,elbows and shoulders although this is very borderline.The suggestion is that there is increased blood flow to these areas which may represent underlying arthritis.When I examined you in the clinic I could not determine whether there was inflammation in these joints or not.I think we need to distinguish between inflammation and degeneration.We advise an injection of steroid usually into your bottom which acts as an overall anti inflammatory and assess your response.If this is something you would like to explore then it maybe that your GP would be able to administer this for you or you could attend the hospital virtually any day to have this administered.We would then review you in clinic six to eight weeks after the injection to assess the impact.It may also be worth arranging cross sectional imaging in the form of an MRI scan of one of your feet which is most symptomatic to look for soft tissue inflammation etc....Contact my secretary to arrange any of the above............................If there is anyone still reading this post who understands what it actually means please get back to me as I have tried googling to find out but my patience ran out!I just thought there may be a Nurse or Doctor on here that knows about these things....Thanks in advance........Lee..
leetankers
UKFM Member

Re: Help Needed To Understand Bone Scan Results

Postby whoami » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:13 pm

From what I am reading is that they can't confirm arthritis or not. It is being suggested that an injection of an anti inflammatory may diagnose arthiritis or not.

If it were me I would go for the injection as part of a diagnosis. It doesn't sound that you have a lot to worry about.

Call your Dr and ask him to explain this all for you.

Sorry...the uptake is the amount of dye that is taken in by the bones . The amount more or less determines if there is an issue.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby denys » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:39 pm

I agree, go and talk to your doc and see what they think but it sounds like they want to see if the steroids reduce any possible inflammation you might be suffering with :-D :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: it works for you :-D
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby zappa20 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:08 am

From what you've posted your results have come back fine, other than the possibility you may have a bit of wear and tear arthritis or possibly some minor inflammation. The steroid injection will maybe sort it if it is inflammation , or point to simple osteoarthritis as the cause if it doesn't improve things. It's worth having on the off chance it could help.

The scan you had looks for specific types of hidden problems eg bone infections, cancers, etc which have now been ruled out as posibilities in your case. The nature of the test means it won't reveal if you have a bit of soft tissue inflammation in your foot .So they've offered to do an MRI which will , and would help confirm or rule soft tissue damage out as the reason for a level of pain you've described. It's just doctors work to a process or protocol of elimination with various tests ruling out certain things , before confirming their diagnosis.

After numerous tests, like many others with Fibro, , you might be told the pain you're suffering is simply due to Fibro, as they've eliminated every other possible cause for it.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby MikH-D » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:44 am

Anti inflammatory injections don't work as most fib suffer are hypermobile, same as epidural for hypermobile

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikH-D
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:52 am

MikH-D wrote:Anti inflammatory injections don't work as most fib suffer are hypermobile, same as epidural for hypermobile

Could the anti inflammatory injections work though if it is arthritis? I would think that the injection will either confirm or deny arthritis if there is some positive reaction.
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Postby MikH-D » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:56 am

No as the brain block the reaction, mixed with the flexibly of the joint of hyper mobility, this is how got described it, most pain medications don't work for fibro as most have hypermkbilty within fibro as it's one of the main aspects

MikH-D
UKFM Member

Postby leetankers » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Just to say thanks for the replies and I have got the prescription for the injection.However there was no available gp to administer it.I will have it done on Monday and will keep you all posted as to what effects it has on me.Fingers crossed for a reasonably pain free weekend for all of us.......Lee x
leetankers
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia