Hands: itching and then pain?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Hands: itching and then pain?

Postby Karou » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope you're all feeling quite well.

My shoulders, arms and hands have become worse over the past weeks. I now only have 1 position that allows me to (sort of) relax and another one I have to change after 20 minutes because of the horrendous shooting, stabbing, throbbing pain coming from my shoulder all the way down to my fingers.

Another strange thing is happening and I'm wondering what's going on there.

My hands, mainly joints, will randomly start itching and nothing seems to help. No scratching, washing with or without soap, lotion, cooling, etc. I'm not diabetic and my thyroid is fine. I have no known allergies and can't make a connection to any food or drink.
After the itching has stopped, the pain in my hand joints is worse and the stiffness that's mainly there in the mornings will come back too.

I've not changed any cosmetics, toiletries, etc.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Re: Hands: itching and then pain?

Postby lizzie's mummy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:35 pm

i itch all the time regardless of things i have used and no amount of scratching ect eases it and as for pain it seems to come and go to just almost by travel appear else where i will be following this post to see if anyone else has a remedy for it good luck xx :shock:
lizzie's mummy
UKFM Newbie

Postby Garyl » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:45 pm

I get the itching and the pains i tend to just put my hands into warm water when they itch, is bad use to it n ow i try mind over matter techniques at times
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Marky Fibro ME » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:35 pm

I can identify with the itching!!
I have suffered with the worsening symptoms of Fibromyalgia/ME for approx 5 years, and the itching is a very recent feature.
It is confined to the hands & fingers and I've no idea what triggers it.
I started taking Gabapentin 3 weeks ago, and I can't recall having the itching prior to that, so I'm wondering if it could be a side effect of the Gabapentin?
Marky Fibro ME
UKFM Member

Postby SopsIsTops88 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:00 am

I get terrible itching on my hands, I think mine is due to tingly nerves as it feels weird and nothing I do to soothe it helps.

Unfortunately it seems to be another random symptom to add to the mile long list!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SopsIsTops88
UKFM Member

Postby LizzyMac » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Yeah, I get the itching too. I've wondered if it's because of being dehydrated a little? I'm not sure, but I get dry eyes and dry mouth sometimes too, so I wondered if it was related.
LizzyMac
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:49 pm

Thanks for your replies.

It's good to know it's not just me. And frustrating because it's yet another symptom we get and no one can tell us why.

I'm wondering if my GP was right when he said my brain has gone into overdrive and my immune system quit its job when my gallbladder was removed. Or maybe Fibro is manipulating my body, idk. :crazy:

Lizzy that's an interesting thought - I know I don't drink as much as I should. They say around 2 litres but me, I only make it to 1.5....

Karou
UKFM Member

Postby debsmith » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:49 am

Hia all

I to get itching drives me nutty! In hands+legs and also very dry mouth I take pregablin omongst other medz! Plus aswell immune system has gone somewhere! Had recent blood test to add to it GR low ferritin too as if we arnt tiered enough already!!!
I hope every 1 as good as we can b and so many having flare,s + diff symptoms that god 4 this website! XxxxxX
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby silvermaneuk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Raynauds can cause all of those symptoms, and its quite common if you have FM
silvermaneuk
UKFM Member

Postby monkeypirate » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:48 pm

Hi,

Itching was one of the first symptoms I had. I found an over the counter antihistamine can help for a time. I take a claratyne based one or loratadine.
The itching usually starts on my fingers, but it spreads under my arms, my forearms, forehead, under my eyes and my shins.
When they were testing me for celoiacs and I had to eat gluten products it was unbearable.
Always be yourself . . . Unless you can be a pirate.. . .Then always be a pirate.
monkeypirate
UKFM Member

Postby Tigereyes » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:35 pm

I get itching mainly in the hands and arms that drive me crazy, usually followed by extreme aching or burning or shooting pain and......
Would you believe I was awake till 6 mon with this and I tried everything to stop it!!!!! :scream-1:
Tigereyes
UKFM Member

Postby mandiw » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:47 pm

I have the problem of itching too. It is particularly bad on my hands but it also goes up my arms to my shoulders and across my neck and upper back too. It gets really bad at times and is often accompanied by a stabbing pain, like someone is driving a knife into me. I also often get itching on my face too.
It happens at any time but it is particularly annoying when it starts just as I am trying to get to sleep. I sometimes wake up and find blood on the sheets and sore, scabby marks where I have been raking my skin in my sleep.
The only thing that I have found that helps a little is Voltarol Gell, massaging it in helps to ease the pain too. It's not an instant fix but it works for me.
mandiw
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:22 pm

I'm not allowed any additional type of NSAID because I'm taking naproxen. The chemist said that even though it's applied to the skin, small amounts of the diclofenac will enter the bloodstream. :-? Strange though that it seems to happen mainly when we try to sleep. I'm glad you found something that works for you, mandiw. :-) Hopefully I'll find something too or I'll ask the cat to use me as a scratch board lol

Raynauds? Hadn't thought of that at all. My feet drive me nuts, GP said it's Raynauds but not too severe so they're not giving me anything for it. Which is fine by me, I've bought a pillmate yesterday and with all the meds I'm taking it's a surprise I don't rattle lol

I'm just confused because my hands don't go cold like my feet. Maybe because I wear my compression gloves most of the time. And today I've noticed another strange symptom: red tiny pin prick dots on my hands. (petechiae?) In the areas that itch. I've had a few random ones on my forearms every now and then but never anywhere else and not close together in a small area.

Would anyone know why these appear with the other symptoms and if I should be concerned? Or could it be just another thing to add to my list of symptoms one might get with the Fibro package? :-| :yikes:

Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia