Menstruation and fibro

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Menstruation and fibro

Postby silvermaneuk » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:50 pm

I have always had bad periods all my life and these got worse when i was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism, which is quite common with this condition. I often suffer with extreme heavy periods and clotting and was recently diagnosed with one small fibroid and cysts on my ovarys although no sign of PCOS. Although my female doctor says I do exhibit symptoms of PCOS.

Anyhow I notice that when I am on my period or just before, I always get a flare. This is usually a mild flare (mostly but occasionally becomes severe). So I did some research about it. apparently Estrogen is a pain preventive hormone, and just before and during your period, it is at the lowest levels. Make sense. I also suffer with anaemia, I get it a lot , and apparently we don't produce vitamins as well as someone who doesn't have FM.

So I wondered what your experiences are, and have you done anything to help it/
silvermaneuk
UKFM Member

Re: Menstruation and fibro

Postby debsmith » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Hia

I too suffer with very heavy periods etc I too have cyst on overy had it for years,even before fibro diagnosed I felt exhausted all the time seen many a gp in between + not 1 of them tested me for low ferritin!!! Until new gp arrived very easy on the eye too LOL!! Bonus but results came back I had low ferritin so god only knows how long I'd had it before test!!! Been taking tablets for a few wks but I can honestly say its made NO differance at all but then is that due to the fibro or iron? As I was having + still do bleed heavy its why iron low he also gave me sum tabz 2 stop the bleed as had 2 in 4 weeks!!!! Ahhhhhh I also have perimenopause I too feel more pain while period around it sucks!!! He's given me sum medz 4 bad period pain too and they are okay I have added spinich,dark salad leaf,s,tuna I tend to eat that during period helps a little with grannery breads and hot water bottles I find helpful but defo the tabz to stop them now + again for a little restbite xxx
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby Oriole » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:50 pm

I often have severe flare-ups beginning during, or before my period. This can last up to 2 weeks in the worst case, but it's usually around a week. It definately seems linked to my cycle & it's not just period pain, I often need a couple of days in bed to cope with the pain and fatigue.

I find what you said about the oestrogen levels very interesting. I think it could be certainly linked to hormones for us girls, but not the only factor.

Sadly I haven't found anything to really help, but I have to listen to my body when it's telling me to rest.
Oriole
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:07 pm

I cannot move for 2 days. The period effects my sciatica nerve so i get pain from back down to feet added to that my knee burns and aches. My back pain gets worse and gets to the point i just have to stay in bed as can barely move :shock:
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby Karou » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:05 am

I get a lot of back pain before and during my period. Before I got Fibro I didn't have problems, my body worked like a clockwork. Now I never know when or how bad my period will be. I also get the clotting and sometimes, after having no period forbmaybe 2 months, it'll be old blood, then stop and come back 2 weeks later.

Very frustrating because the pain also means my walking is affected and sometimes I can'tdo morethan walk around a few steps in the house to get a drink or something like that. :roll:
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:08 am

Yep me to I clot and bleed like a pig. The pain can at times leave me bent in two.ive been told I have no probs inside so can only believe I'm just one of them unlucky ppl who suffer that way x
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby Tracie » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:02 am

I have pcos so people who have it know periods are not regular,well I had had probs in my teens and got worse to the point I became unwell scans shown possible polyps,but was not sure so had another scan few later they has shrunk so gone from possible to something shrinking my point is either I have something or not,I was bleeding very bad and caused me to be anemic,never did anything because hospital blamed the pcos until I went for a smear she could not do it hence going to hospital for an examination and they was found had them removed 5th feb last year and been so much better I still have pcos and periods still up the shoot and always will be,but bleeding so much less so glad a cause was found,so if people you are worried get checked out.i asked my rhumetologist do people get painful periods with fibro she said no as I said I did have a period and week before I was in agony but this time round was not as bad but in pain.
Tracie
UKFM Member

Postby silvermaneuk » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:29 am

My periods aren't actually painful, which is weird a s I bleed so heavily that's I often break through my clothing and have to have towels on the bed at night. They never were heavy until I got ill. But its interesting. How similar we all are.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
silvermaneuk
UKFM Member

Postby whoami » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:57 am

I started with periods at 10 years old. They lasted for 2 days until I had my children and they bumped to 3 days.

I started with ovarian cysts at 14 and had the first one removed at 15

For 2 days before my periods my body ached all over, like a flu but stopped when the flow started.

At 35 my periods went to being once every 2 months and I would hemorrhage every period or whenever I had sex.

At 40, everything stopped completely. :wine:
[i][b]

Expect the worst in life you won't be disapointed and you'll be prepared!
whoami
UKFM Regular

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia