Does FMS 'favour' one side more than the other?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Does FMS 'favour' one side more than the other?

Postby Immpy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:53 pm

Hello all,

The reason for the question is that although I get many different types of pain and all over my body I have noticed that my main pains seem to be on the left side of my body........my left wrist hurts and it is difficult to carry anything heavy as it is excruciating painful. My left hip is also painful most of the time, I can get woken from sleep it sometimes, and I also have a tender spot on the bottom of my left foot which is painful to walk on, these pains do not ever go away, where other aches and pains do.

Does anyone else have this where one side of their body is more painful?
Immpy
UKFM Member

Re: Does FMS 'favour' one side more than the other?

Postby catscout » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:14 pm

Mine hasn't picked a side, my left elbow is like your wrist and hurts when used. But it's my right hip and leg that hurts when walking and both my shoulders all the time amongst all the other aches like you say. I do feel that one side of my brain is light headed and I can list to the left sometimes when walking, do you get that?

It is nice to actually find a site where you can talk about this illness so matter of factly where you know people will understand and can talk and help with their comments, as when I tell 'normal' people they think I'm either exaggerating or lying.

Good luck.

C
catscout
UKFM Member

Postby helenfelen » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:25 pm

Hi, I get pain all over and both sides but my right side is definitely worse! neck, shoulder, hand, back (right side up the spine), hip, knee & foot! the pain is always much worse in all those joints! :-?
helenfelen
UKFM Member

Postby mandiw » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:14 pm

This could be me. Although I get pain allover, my left side is worse. My left wrist and thumb are really bad and my left shoulder and hip effects my sleep badly too. Both of my knees, ankles and feet are painful though.
mandiw
UKFM Member

Postby topcatt72 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi all.....im new to this site and after years of pain recently been diagnosed with fibro.....i get pain on both sides. But i do get a lot of bad pain in my left hip and knee....though i am also hypermobile and have f.a.i (femuar acetabular impingement) think i spelt it right???....which i have in both hips..the left has been operated on twice but still in alot of pain..... so apart from pain with fibro may b worth checking for f.a.i???
topcatt72
UKFM Member

Postby *Lisa* » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:21 pm

For me YES!

My right side is so much worse then left. I have put this down to being right handed so using more muscles that side...
As a Public Moderator & Admin of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia...Lisa
*Lisa*

Postby humphreys » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:25 pm

I think I get a lot of pain on my left side because I'm left handed, I do everything with my left hand and arm. I may be wrong, but my left hip bothers me as well
humphreys
UKFM Member

Postby daisies » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:36 pm

I have always had a problem with my left side, this has puzzled my doctor.
daisies
UKFM Member

Postby Allison » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:45 pm

Its my left side also But pain is all over left is worse x :yikes:
Allison
UKFM Newbie

Postby merrill16 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:47 pm

Hi, also get pain all over my body, but the main focus is on the left hand side of my body as well, and I'm right-handed :?:
merrill16
UKFM Newbie

Postby Immpy » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Catscout Yes I notice when walking if someone is on my left side I walk into them, when alone I have to really concentrate as I land up walking into other people coming my way.

Helenfelen I too have pain on both sides of my body but it seems more painful in my joints on the left.

Mandiw I get terrible pains when climbing stairs in my ankles and knees, oh the joys of FMS!

Topatt22 I'm newish too only diagnosed in December 2013, thanks for the information on F.A.I. I will google it, I have suffered with my hip for the last 5 years before I was diagnosed with FMS.

Lisa My pain is worse on my left but I am right handed?

Humphreys, Daisies, Allison and Merrill16 its really good to hear that I am not alone and it seems FMS might seem to favour a side, although I am sure that there are many that suffer equally on both sides.
Immpy
UKFM Member

Postby cbrann58 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:23 pm

I have had F. M. for about 10 years and post viral fatigue syndrome got 18 years.
I've always said my left side is worse than my right.
And weaker. Always more painful.
I am right handed.
I have pain all over my body and I regularly have sore ears and throat
I don't think I have so joint or muscle that isn't painful all day everyday. And on top of that I can't sleep properly.
I can't sleep for the pain At night
cbrann58
UKFM Newbie

Postby chezmc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:31 am

I get most of my pain on my left side....however I had a car accident and the pain from my neck to my finger tips was initially in the left side only...the pain eventually spread-hence I was diagnosed with fibro/CFS but I am still defo worse on the left side...
chezmc
UKFM Member

Postby Kalev » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:18 am

This is all very interesting most of my pain is on my left side which is strange as I am strongly right handed although I'm starting to my left more I wonder dose anyone know if any research is being done into this?
Kalev
UKFM Member

Postby hazely » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:44 pm

Most of my pain is in the left side but I put that down to being left handed, i do get pain all over though but the left side is definitely more
hazely
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia