Does fibro actually cause weight gain?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Postby Picklepudding » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:04 pm

I've always been overweight but since starting with symptoms last year I've put on almost 2 stone and I'm finding it impossible to lose! Last week I joined Weight Watchers and after sticking to it rigidly for the week I've only lost 2lbs...and when you've got as much to lose as I have, that's rubbish for a first week.

Exercise is a no no...I work full time, I have 2 children and I'm constantly mind numbingly tired...not to mention the pain it causes. I just don't know what to do. I'm convinced I've also got a thyroid problem (I had half of my thyroid removed 5 years ago) but the doctor is having none of it.

I'm sick of being fat! And after trying so so hard and only losing 2lbs, I'm feeling very demotivated and depressed.

Can I blame the fibro?!?!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Re: Does fibro actually cause weight gain?

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:13 pm

Hi
It could b your meds what r u on? I am doing ww as well and its a slow process. I have lost a stone and a half but its took long time. I also cant do any exercise. Check with ur gp bout ur thyroid just to make sure.
Gud luc x
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby happybunny » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:17 pm

Hello there.!
Briefly yes
I lost four stone myself pre fibro, not easily but followed the plan and off it came
Since having fibro I eat no more., know the rules and can stick to them pretty easily etc. And it ain't shifting. It's increasing and I am distraught. Sound familiar anyone?
The pills cause you to crave carbohydrates.. .. that's my doctors opinion
Mine and probably yours is that there is a LOT more to it than that.!!!!
Be kind to yourself.xx xx
happybunny
UKFM Member

Postby Sioriwish » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Fibro doesn't cause weight gain no, and as for exercise, it all depends on what exercise you do. Try yoga or Pilates for 10-15 mins a day, they won't cause you pain and it will make you feel better :)

As for dieting, I don't believe in all these diet fads at all, soon as you start they either put you on stuff that is bad for you, like pasta, weight watchers tends to just be pasta meals, which too much of it is bad for you. Just learn the basics of what food does for you, what proteins, and what certain carbs do for you. Then eat according to that, in decent sized proportions.

You can NOT expect to lose a lot of weight instantly, it will take time. The slower you drop it off, the better chance it has to stay off. If you drop it fast, you're more than likely to put it on quicker and a lot more of it.
Sioriwish
UKFM Member

Postby Linda malcolm » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Hi ! I've always been overweight too, and the past year I've been in pain since this started I've been comfort eating more..and I have'nt been out walking as I've felt too bad with side effects from trying diff meds etc......I've gone back to WW too 2 weeks ago...I lost 3 lb first week, but nothing this week...I found I never lost much with WW, it was always just 1 lb a week, sometimes half, but not being too active does'nt help.......now I've just gone on Gabapentin, and praying it does'nt put weight on me as I have 4 stone to lose....Good luck with WW, a lb a week loss is far better than none, I'll be happy if I can do that. XX :-)
Linda malcolm
UKFM Newbie

Postby colin halls » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:35 pm

hello
i seem to be putting on weight rapidly since being diagnosed , i have just gone back to docs to get more blood tests done to see what the cause is, i dont think its a side effect from my meds, fortunately i dont get pain in my legs and can walk great distances but no amount of walking can shift the weight, dont let it get you down just keep trying to shed a few pounds
Remember any weight loss is better than any gained
Last edited by colin halls on Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
colin halls
UKFM Newbie

Postby alisoncunliffe0708 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:38 pm

Medication used to manage Fibro can cause weight gain.
alisoncunliffe0708
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jeany » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:51 pm

Two pound in a week is good going, but I prefer slimming world and use it as a long term eating plan. No counting calories or going hungry. On the extra easy plan you can eat as much lean meat, fish,fruit,veg and salad as you wish plus Sun's for little treats. Your doing well working with your illness so don t be hard on yourself. Give slimming world a try
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Picklepudding » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:59 pm

I'm not on any meds as my GP said that other than amitriptyline (which he reckons I can't take as it would interact with the citalopram I take for severe IBS) there's nothing else he can give me. So I just have to get on with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Crohn's, IBS, plantar fasciitis, psoriasis, Vitamin D deficiency, minimal osteoarthritis, possible Hughes Antiphospholipid Syndrome and fibromyalgia...I'm a walking medical encyclopaedia!
Picklepudding
UKFM Member

Postby libbiek30 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:04 pm

Hi
Maybe its the citropram? Check with ur gp. :-)
libbiek30
UKFM Member

Postby mandiw » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Hi. I was a Weight Watchers consultant for a number years so I know the rules well but I still find it very hard to lose weight with fibro.

It's not the fibro that makes us gain weight but there could be a number of other causes.

Losing weight is basically about energy used for movement should be more than energy (calories) taken in as food or drink.
We are generally less active with fibro but maybe few of us cut back on our food intake to match this, including myself.
Our meds can effect our hunger ie; steroids, and our metabolism.
As was said above, comfort eating can be a big problem and we may not realise that we are doing it sometimes.
This awful weather doesn't help either coz we want to eat foods that keep us warm.
Many of us have other, underlying health problems that may not help with weight loss.

Its probably best for us to try to eat smaller amounts of what we like to eat and cut out if poss, so we don't feel deprived.

Sorry,I'm not trying to preach. I know how hard it is as I too am about two and a half stone overweight and desperate to lose some, if only to help my painful knees and ankles.

Losing about 2lb a week is a good, average weight loss that must have taken lots of hard work, so be proud about it. And, if you can do that every week you could lose half a stone in a month!!!!! :-D
mandiw
UKFM Member

Postby Colegg » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:01 am

I am a total newbie to this site but have had fibro for around 3 years but only had a proper diagnosis around oct 2012 as to the weight I agree a number of factors can cause weight gain but since I had my gall bladder removed my weight has spiralled I still can't eat properly since the removal in 2011 however I do believe a lot of the medications along with other medical conditions I have is the case of my weight gain medication and lack of being able exercise is the biggest cause for me I have just asked my Gp for a referral to a dietitian to see if the can help me as the fibro gives me a lot of stomach problems there is lots of help for you if you are concerned always speak to your gp about changing your medication xx
Colegg
UKFM Member

Postby shelleyp » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:03 am

I have been with weight watchers for just over a year now and having gained weight that I put down to FMS that I have had for 14 years now, I have now lost 3 stone. It has been a slow process and small losses but huge gains in being able to move more easily, feel so much better about myself and most importantly I feel in control of FMS rather than it be in control of me. The smaller the losses the longer it stays off. Weigh out 2lb of fat and you will see it is a lot to lose. Don't give up!
shelleyp
UKFM Newbie

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:05 am

No, Fibro itself shouldn't cause weight gain, but reduced activity caused by fibro fatigue and pain probably will. I've not gained a pound since I was diagnosed 2 years ago, and am in fact half a stone lighter than when the symptoms started to really become apparent about 4 years ago.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:17 am

Fibro doesn't caused increase in weight, however a combination between medication and decrease in movement and a craving for sugar putting on weight is easy, losing it is hard. Exercise doesn't not make you lose weight but it might be worth sticking with the WW for now as it may take a week or two for your body to realise what you are trying to do.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia