Brain Fog Blues

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Brain Fog Blues

Postby Bellatrix18 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:08 pm

I feel awful. I just got back from a job interview... but I'd turned up to it 2.5 hours late because I'd somehow managed to read 1.30pm instead of 11.00am as the time for my interview. What a great first impression(!) :-x The lady turned me away and I'm waiting a phone call from her boss so I can beg and plead with her to let me reschedule, but I doubt they'll let me.

I feel like I can't live in normal society any more. I make mistakes like this all the time now. I've missed lessons at uni by turning up an hour late, missed trains and buses regularly, forgotten to bring money with me when leaving the house, last week I turned up to do my driving theory test without my paper counterpart licence and they turned me away! The list is endless. I even had the time and date written down and checked on my emails last night and this morning but I still let myself down. Now I'm feeling so sad and angry with myself. I will be out of a job in March and really needed this job,

It's hard enough dealing with the pain and fatigue and IBS and blurred vision and headaches... etc, but the fact that I don't think like myself any more is something I can't accept or learn to live with, it feels like it's taking who I was and replacing me with a disorganised, stupid person.

Does anyone have any tips for coping with this?? Vitamins or alternative therapies etc (I find I can't even cope with keeping a diary/writing reminders :( ) It's so hard to be so incompetent. I can't go on with my brain slowly turning to soup :cry:
Bellatrix18
UKFM Newbie

Re: Brain Fog Blues

Postby painprincess1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:38 pm

Oh love, I no just how hard tHis it,I walk in a shop night before last stood at the desk for a lighter for my candles, the man asked me what I wanted and I stood there like a plank I couldn't even explain what I wanted I had six ppl waiting behind me ,I wanted the ground to open up .and like you it happens all the time.i forget money for bus, I get on the bus two times a week to go to town but still forget what bus I have to get.i go upstairs for something forget and take hours to remember what I wanted.rung the dr today for my little girl forget her birthday . There's nothing worse then forgetting wheni give birth to your own kids.but I find the more tired and in pain I am the worse it is. You sound so stressed that I'm sure that making it worse for you. Have a chat to your dr maybe he or she might give you something to help you relaxe abit.your not alone with this so many of us have the fog .i also find when I'm in a flare the old brain gives up and goes on holiday .
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby SchroedingersCat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:55 pm

I put everything in my smartphone. The more organised I feel, the less I panic, the more organised I actually am, and the less I forget. Not being bored or stressed helps, and the more tired I am, the more likely I am to be foggy.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby humphreys » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:15 pm

Hi. I know just how you feel, I have to have a diary in my bag, I have never had a diary in 40yrs, but since I got Fibro, and this blasted brain fog, I don't know how I would manage. I have a calender in the kitchen, I even have a paper and pen at the side of my bed, and if I remember anything I write it down. I have to look at my diary everyday, just in case I miss something. What a damm nusance.
humphreys
UKFM Member

Postby debsmith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:28 pm

Hia

Firstly sending u a hug bless u, poor u hun fibro it just C@@P !!!! And it affects our daily lifes, one thing I do is put all in my blackberry as it has a calender with reminder,s u can program into it, I have to do that or I wouldn't b doing much!!! I work part time too and I write myself lists + tick off when stuff done could u not explain to the boss? So he/she knows why u were late? Companys are not allowed to discriminate hunni worth a try??? I hope ur not to stressed now xxxx
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 pm

My phone has replaced my brain as well. Everything is programmed into it~appts, timers, notes, reminders, shopping list etc and wherever I go, I have a specific place where I put/keep it so I know where to find it.

I make sure each thing I'm using it for has a particular sound as well, so when it goes off, I will (hopefully) know which thing it is for.

Every once in a while, a dog enters your life and changes everything xx
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby loverliesgal » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:51 pm

When I first realised my memory had done a bunk, I was counting money for the Church Fete, I managed to put the coins in piles of a pound, but for the life of me, didn't know what to do next. Hubby is used to being called the dogs names, or the kids. I drive to somewhere and find myself in the wrong place (I try not to drive because of this). My vitamin B12 was border line 3 years ago so GP arranged for a two week course of the most painful injections I have ever had. It seemed to work after about 3 weeks, but gradually over the year, memory booked another holiday, so now I have B12 tablets three times a day every day. I promised to eat meat and fish (but I broke it virtually straight away) and although my memory is not getting worse, I haven't noticed the improvement like the injections gave me.

I use both paper and virtual diaries, my phone syncs with the pc and I get alerts come up, but nine times out of ten I have just left laptop on and miss alert. I lose my phone, and forget where my paper diary is. So seem to spend a lot of time in a daze.

I hope the job you missed interview for will listen to your reasons for non attendance at right time

Take care
loverliesgal
UKFM Member

Postby debsmith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:27 pm

I agree fluffypuffy

I'm so glad I have my woof,s to snuggle up too and my cheeky cat they give unconditional love mine know when I'm realli low+pain she even follows me to bathroom lol animal therapy :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:34 pm

debsmith wrote:I agree fluffypuffy

I'm so glad I have my woof,s to snuggle up too and my cheeky cat they give unconditional love mine know when I'm realli low+pain she even follows me to bathroom lol animal therapy :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

That quote is what I use as my signature when using TapAtalk. That one, and the one in my profile signature seemed just right for where I am with FM, and other stuff in life :dogrun1:

Springie kisses sprinkled with a little fairy_dust fairy_dust can wash away all sorts of things, leaving you with a lovely sparkle :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing: :bear-dancing:
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby debsmith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Its lovely tho :)

I'm guna sound quite dumb now but what is taptalk? Sorri xx
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:57 pm

This explains TapAtalk far better than I can :-D :-D :-D

FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby debsmith » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:03 pm

Thank you

I will have a look and find out true what they say, u learn something new every day :bear-dancing:
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby Bellatrix18 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:10 am

Thanks everyone, It really does help to know I'm not the only one out there who gets like this sometimes. I definitely agree with the animal therapy. I have two dogs, a cat and a menagerie of other furry children who keep me going when things get tough. I don't know where I'd be without them! :-)

Well things went from bad to worse today after I posted. I got a call from a different interview saying I hadn't got it and then 5 minutes later the lady from today's interview rang and said she is too busy to reschedule me. :( I tried to say I'd come to her office or meet her wherever was convenient but she wouldn't budge.

Luckily I have the most supportive partner and we have talked things through (after I had a good cry) and I'm feeling less horrible. I then spent the rest of the afternoon watching a movie and trying to forget everything!! I've been having such a bad flare-up these past couple of weeks because of the stress of my contract at work running out, and the fact that my brain keeps messing things up for me is making things worse, like a vicious cycle. I think I need to give myself a bit more time off and try to take it easy more but, it is so difficult when life gets in the way...

Everything is quite stressful atm, I keep trying to see the end but I can't. I'm usually such a positive optimistic person but I will be unemployed in a month, my OH is unemployed as of Friday (I officially hate temp maternity cover jobs!), I have an assessment for my open university degree due next week and I have no brain power left! I might apply for an extension for uni and take a couple of days holiday at work, just so I don't implode...

Again, thanks to everyone for the tips/support. I'm off tomorrow to buy a new diary (I'll try not to forget I have it :lol: ) and, once my fog has cleared a bit, I might even try to download some phone apps (I'm a bit of a technophobe tho so it might take me a while to figure them out :roll: )
Bellatrix18
UKFM Newbie

Postby debsmith » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:26 am

Hia

Ur most definatly not on ur own hun poor u re: temp jobs must b realli hard 4u and having fibro doesn't help make things easy grrr! Think most of us having flare,s too thank heavens for this site and our loony dogs and mini zoo,s lol they sure do make u smile esp my daughters 10mth old mega loonie and now spins round so fast makes me giddy bless him I hope u feel better 2morrow than u do 2day :hugs: :grouphug: for all xxx
debsmith
UKFM Member

Postby nikkinoo » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:27 pm

I too have major issues with brain fog, I cant remember anything, calls I had to make, letters I had to send, things I needed to do, what someone asked for, cant explain what I mean, just forget what I was saying while talking, cant remember the name of objects and sometimes people, and get highly frustrated when my speech becomes slurred and I cant get my words out!

I don't work now I'm off ill too much and struggle to get through the day, never mind remember what I'm supposed to be doing... I'd like to work, I miss the people and having a purpose in life.

I am at a rheumy appointment on Tuesday and am going to speak to her about the cognitive stuff, I find fiddly things I need my hands for difficult, and concentration just does not work, lol. I try look on the funny side but it is embarrassing and frustrating at times.

Chin up, no ones alone here, and it is soooo nice having people to talk to that truly know what it feels like to be us.

x
Before you assume, learn the facts... Before you judge, understand why... Before you hurt someone, feel... Before you speak, think... This is my message to all who do not take the time to understand what we go through.
nikkinoo
UKFM Member

Next

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia