Difficulty in swallowing?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Difficulty in swallowing?

Postby Storm » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:46 am

I read on a website about FM that some people have difficulty swallowing sometimes, is this true?

I seem to have trouble swallowing tablets, and 90% of the time they'll just be staying in my mouth with water, unable to get ready to swallow, and if I really force myself to, I just choke.

I get food stuck in my throat and chest a lot too. I almost died a couple of years ago because a piece of gammon was stuck in my throat, couldn't breathe, was trying to force it down with water, and it was a complete blockage and the water was just filling up in my throat like a fish tank and pouring back out my mouth :( it was the most frightening experience I ever had. I had to bang on my wall that was connected to my brothers room to get someone to help me. Eventually the gammon moved in my throat, but stayed stuck in my chest for days. The ambulance was called whilst I was choking of course. Dad tried giving me the Heimlich maneuver but he had no clue what he was doing and was just hurting my boobs lol.

Anyways, my main question is, is this really a common thing, or just rubbish?
Storm
UKFM Member

Re: Difficulty in swallowing?

Postby lil-burkie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 am

I have this all the time. I always had the p*** taken out of me when I was younger and had to have my paracetamol crushed Tec. Now I choke almost every time and that's after I spend 5mins with the tablets floating in my mouth trying to psych myself up to do. I also choke on my food quite a bit so your not alone ... :) xxx
lil-burkie
UKFM Member

Postby Carrie Nourse » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:34 am

Hi, I suffer from this and it is scary having that feeling and of course if you tense up it makes it worse. For me the mornings are worse as the throat is dry and for my first 2 drinks I find I have to tip my head back to open the throat muscles in order for my coffee to go down. I do have problems with food so I have to make sure my meals are fairly sloppy ie with lots of gravy or sauce so that it goes down easily. The biggest tablet I can take is 50mg as anything bigger will get stuck in my throat and I also find that my throat does feel sore which of course makes swallowing more uncomfortable. I was told by my GP its the muscles in the throat not working as they should do but there is not much they can do.
Carrie Nourse
UKFM Member

Postby zappa20 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:45 am

Some medications like Amitryptiline and Metoclopramide can sometimes impair our swallowing reflex as a side effect. When taking Metooclopramide for slow digestion tract I sometimes found I was incapable of swallowing even saliva. Felt like my throat muscles ahd forgoten how to swallow. Was pretty scary but fortunately intermittent. My GP told me to stop taking them instantly, becausethis happened as a side effect in a minority of people. Had never heard of this before. Certainly Amitryptiline causes a dry mouth in many people as a side effect, which could make any problem with swallowing worse.
zappa20
UKFM Member

Postby Donna40 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:57 am

I have the same problem sometimes I swallow on my own saliva it's so annoying. I'm also on lots of tablets.x
Donna40
UKFM Newbie

Postby Linda1950 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:01 pm

Me too, but I am not on Amitriptyline . I thought it was just me. The muscles feel weak in my throat and sometimes I choke on my food or saliva.
Linda1950
UKFM Newbie

Postby jacqui58 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:24 pm

Hello,I'm glad this post is on here in a way.I had this when I suffered depression some years ago,I was given amitryptaline for it.( I too can't swallow tablets even antibiotics are prescribed in syrup form and I too usually chew paracetamol and other meds!) I did explain to my gp at the time but she never said why or what it was and said that it was unusual. I went through months of rating yougurt with mashed banana because that was all I could eat,meal times with the family were horredous as everyone was waiting for me to start choking and get all uptight...to say it was stressful is an understatement! I'm not sure wether it was the antidepressants that was causing it? Now I'm back on amitryptaline as my gp told me last week I have fibro and have had for a while,she said it would help me sleep,but I noticed the other day that this blooming swallowing thing is raising its ugly head again but I am beginning it is a stress related thing as I am feeling very low about the whole thing.
jacqui58
UKFM Newbie

Postby crystalkaz » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Hi to all fibro friends :wave:

I can honestly say this is one of the scariest symptoms for me, like most of you have mentioned having difficulty swallowing everything.

Noone would believe me that i was choking even trying to sip water, I kept saying and trying to explain it was like my brain had forgot
how to send the signals to swallow if that makes sense. At the time I was seeing an E.N.T. and had a panic attack and couldn't breath
and then for life of me could not sip water he gave me. He just sent me to my dr, who did a swallowing test on me. Then sent to hospital to see an oncologist (which I had no idea about, as I suffer with panic attacks, this was all done between hubby and dr.)

When I entered the room was greeted with the whole team, I was sooooo, scared I can tell you. Anyway, they had a good look with the
camera, and found I had like a bag of fluid that sometimes sits in my throat. Good news its treatable and not serious thankfully.

They changed all the medication that could be to dissolveable, and also have a oral saliva spray to help when throat feels like its closing up.
So my message is don't suffer go and ask your dr to prescribe dissolveable medication. Hope that I have reached just one of you, and helps
you. :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
crystalkaz
UKFM Member

Postby jacqui58 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:32 pm

:wave: Crystalkaz, that's interesting thanks for replying :-) How did they treat the problem? The thought of an endoscopy frightens me they would have to knock me out first! I'm ok with fluids its just food and tablets I'm beginning to think I'm going crazy :-?
jacqui58
UKFM Newbie

Postby crystalkaz » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:47 am

Hi jacqui58 Firstly please don't be afraid of the camera, it only takes a few minutes for them to do the procedure, I never really
felt it as they spray something into the back of throat. I also watched what the camera was picking up as it went down, it even
showed that I suffer with bad throat infections. As I was seeing E.N.T at the time, they gave me drops and a spray. Which made matters
worse as I put drops in nose, fluid just nearly choked me, so I stopped that myself.

As I had been diagnosed with G.O.R.D. my dr wanted to explain what it was to me and how best try to keep it under control. So I take
Omperazole, Gavascon they also prescribed an oral spray for me that helps when my mouths is dry, and throat feels like its closing up.
Dr has explained that a lot of us that has FM do suffer with this. At the same time of all this going on, I was diagnosed with TMJ also
tinnitus oh must not forget vertigo.......Sooooooooo, FM has a lot to answer for. :pull-hair:

Always go and seek medical advice as you are not going crazy, also don't ever allow anyone to tell you it's all in your head.
Takecare :grouphug: :hugs:
crystalkaz
UKFM Member

Postby Itsnotinmyhead » Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:12 pm

I have trouble swallowing as well :scream-1:

And tablets! I can't swallow them unless...

I make a cup if tea :cup1: break a plain biscuit into quarters - melt a quarter in my mouth with the tea - wrap the tablet (or half or quarter if they are too big) and then swallow. That is what I do every time, even with tiny tablets :oops:

Capsules - can't swallow those at all, so have had a note put on my GP notes and remind doctors at the hospital. Usually there is a tablet or liquid alternative.
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
― Maya Angelou
Itsnotinmyhead
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia