wheelchair not sure if I should get one

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

wheelchair not sure if I should get one

Postby daddyvic » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:04 pm

Just. Wandering does anyone use a wheelchair? I currently struggle to walk with two crutches but the pain In my upper body is getting really bad and not sure whether or not to look at using a chair?
daddyvic
UKFM Member

Re: wheelchair not sure if I should get one

Postby Garyl » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 pm

Get your GP to refer you to a Physio, i was as i am unsteady on my feet went from one stick to two sticks, as it did not work i was put on a walker with wheels this helps me a lot am reluctant to go down the next road a wheel chair going to see if i can cope as i am atm. See a physio first then proceed from there. i should point out i am living in a high rise
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby kazza65 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:22 pm

[b]Hi

I have wondered the same about getting a chair because my feet really hurt after about 5 mins of walking. I have all go crutches and walking sticks but to be honest i haven't got a clue has to were to go for one. I have got adult social care coming to give me an assessment for aids within the home.

Karen
Live life to the full as you don't know when it will end xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
kazza65
UKFM Member

Postby Garyl » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:26 pm

Karen the adult social care worker should be able to help you
Garyl
UKFM Member

Postby Purplepig » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:32 pm

Because of other health issues I cannot use sticks or crutches. Wheelchair would be a nightmare, I just bought myself mobility scooter for bad days, I now don't have to rely on others helping so much. A great sense of freedom and independence for me x :-D
Purplepig
UKFM Member

Postby Libby28 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:01 pm

I got wheelchair through my GP, I use stick alway, but have difficulty long distances & stopped me going out. GP ref me & got delivered last year. I tried using it to go round the shops - HATED IT as felt even more dependant on others & felt lost my identity. However used it to go out for walk with my hubby & to park with him & my dogs - WAS GREAT. This was what I missed most & only use it for open spaces or large shops. I'm 45 with fybromalgie & RA
Libby28
UKFM Member

Postby Carphil » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:07 am

Yes like you all I can't walk far either. I do use a stick at home but outside I now use a 4 wheeled walker with a seat on it. When I get unable to walk I sit and get my breath back while my legs get a rest. That helps enormously.
To go out with my husband for shopping. Out with the dogs or trips then I do use my wheelchair. Ok it doesn't look or feel great but at least I can now do things with family and friends that I couldn't do before. I don't have to say I can come anymore. After the first few trips with it you forget the chair part and enjoy the trip your on. You can always get out and walk a bit using the chair as a walking aid. Do get one if you can and see what you have been missing. Xx
Carphil
UKFM Member

Postby migrembe » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:32 am

Being a nurse and having to now live with Fibro too, i would fight buying/using a wheelchair or a electric scooter unless you have tried everything else and nothing has worked. I would say try physio, they may drive me crazy but they got me from being in bed all day to walking very slowly with one stick when i need to get around. I like everyone else now no longer have the luxury to meander down country lanes or window shop, but i at least can get to the bathroom on my own with a stick. In the UK you can hire an electric scooter using some of your DLA money, not sure how it works. It's no good to me i have steps up to my front and back door and nowhere to store it if i had one.

Not exercising or moving at all, no matter how little is the worse thing you can do with Fibro, well it is for me. I am certainly not physically fit to work all day and i no longer go to the supermarket unless with someone else but it does me i can get into a taxi or walk the few meters to the bus stop. I wouldn't give up on walking. As for upper body pain, which i have a lot of, i started slowly as my hands were so painful i was losing the use of them altogether. I started knitting premature baby jackets, hats and bootees for the local hospital. To begin with it would take me all my energy and strength to knit one tiny row, but little by little i can now knit for up to an hour on good days.

As i have said before on here and people have not always liked what i have said, if you want to beat Fibro no amount of pills will make that so. It cannot be cured but it can be handled - for want of a better word. I am under no illusion or fairy dust i do not think things will suddenly improve overnight but i can now knit for an hour and on a good day i can get dressed and get on bus.

Good luck whatever you decide.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby Zeberdi » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:42 pm

My partner as a hobby buys and sells a few things from auctions. His Mom needs a great deal of help. We have got her light weight wheel chairs, electricaly operated chairs and mobility scooter from these acutions - testing them first and saved so much money!!

Wheel chair £22
Electric chair £80
Scooter £55
Electric bed with massage vibration and memory foam matress £20

If you do have to get one of these and have to pay then please consider this as an option along with ebay.
Zeberdi
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia