Feeling so fed up

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Feeling so fed up

Postby sunflower » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:14 pm

Hi Everyone

Having a really low time and can't shift myself out of it. I seem to be in one long flare up for months now, and its getting me so low. I try to put 'the I'm ok face on' but I'm not, I feel so down and just no oomph to grab life. I work full time and try my best to keep going but have no life outside work as I am to scared to create anymore pain. I have finally given in and been signed off for two weeks and feel so very guilty, and dread going back. My husband is amazing, so supportive and so I feel guilty I am not getting on with things and smiling through it all - Yes someone told me if I smiled it would hurt less. Dr's have decided I am hypersensitive and have run out of medications for me to try, so how do I move forward. I try to walk each day, and pace myself at things - what is there to be positive about - this is here to stay.

Sorry for the moan, feeling lonely with all this. xx
sunflower
UKFM Member

Re: Feeling so fed up

Postby Paula200 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi Sunflower
Try not to feel fed up it is really hard because on the outside you look good on the inside it's horrible. I found it easier when I went part time and I fight my company very hard to have a day of a week as they don't get it, I need my day to get over the week, full time was tomuch for me all I did was sleep. I try to pace my self we pick one day a month to go out usually on a Saturday so that I can get over it Sunday back to work Monday if I go out it is a Friday night. I have become very selfish but I have to put me first to deal with life. My hubby is amazing if it takes him more than three attempts to wake me up in the morning he hides my car keys and won't let me go to work, I phone In Sick for a day rather than a week and because it is part time I can make the time up if need be that way I don't feel like I am getting special treatment. you need to do what is right for you don't feel ashamed if your illness ( I did for years! I never told my family) the trick is to work with it not against it. This is my first time on the forum feel like it was about me sorry I feel for you it does get better ha g in there.xxxxx
Paula200
UKFM Member

Postby Shurdygirl » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:10 pm

Hi everyone
I'm new on here, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a week today, part of me was really relieved because it's been a huge struggling trying to get a doctor to believe in my syptoms and that it's not all in my head.
It was a rheumatologist that examined me and checked all pressure points she said straight away that I've got fibromyalgia and also she's testing me for psoriatic Arthritis as my dad and brother suffer with it.
I'm fed up cause im so tired, I'm only getting a hour a night and that's Unrefreshed cause of the pain, I'm on pregabalin and amitriptyline but it doesn't really help, I'm waiting for the rheumatologist to see me again with the results and I'm hoping she will sort meds out.
It's natural for us to be feeling low, this illness has taken our old lives away and we have to learn to cope and found out all we can about fibromyalgia so we are aware of what's happening to us, it's abit like grieving for your old life , the old you back..
It's a daily struggle but I'm sure we are all fighters so we will keep fighting but at a pace which is good for us.
Have a low pain weekend... :-)
Shurdygirl
UKFM Newbie

Postby Charlie28 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:31 pm

Don't feel alone.

We all are going through our own little or big flare ups today, yesterday and tomorrow.

I have decided to try some more counselling and read about PTSD to see if I can root out some of the hurt that causes the flare ups.

I am trying juicing and dieting (no chocolate, cakes, snacks) to help with health side. It boosts my self esteem a bit!

I do not if possible take any medication. Any at all. Not even paracetemol. When you come off everything - the AntiDs, the codeine pills, the triptylines of every name - it hurts. But the pain is there with OR WITHOUT the pain killers. Am I right? Its only a short term dampener.

Don't be alone. We are all going through it. x
Charlie28
UKFM Member

Postby Jeany » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:37 pm

If you are working full time or part time I applaud you. There is just no way at all that I could work. I am absolutely exhausted and feel awful. I also look about 30 yrs older than I actually am now, and that is getting me down because I used to look younger than I am.

Awful awful illness.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby Smurfy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Hi Sunflower,

I know exactly how you're feeling. I work 30 hours a week, have a great husband and two teenagers who really keep me going. I too am feeling really down at the moment and trying to put a brave face onthings. You just have to find the strength from somewhere to keep going. Xxx
Smurfy
UKFM Member

Postby denys » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:06 pm

There is things to be positive about, OK life isnt the same as it once was, but all that means is you've changed direction and once you get used to the new path you may find its just, if not more worthwhile as the old one.

Having to get through a long flare does take it out of you and sometimes its difficult to see anything worth while, during these times its important to be kind to yourself and not feel guilty about not doing things or being off work, the important thing is to rest and keep on top of your meds till you feel a bit better and can start to add a bit more to each day, but then remember to pace so as not to cause a relapse
Denys

As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.
denys
UKFM Veteran

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:04 pm

Sorry to hear how things are for you at the moment Sunflower :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

I wasn't sure whether to :cry: :cry: :cry: or :scream-1: :scream-1: :scream-1: or :face-slap: :face-slap: :face-slap: someone when I read the bit about you being told that if you were to smile, then it would made things hurt less :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: Wouldn't it be nice if a smile was the ultimate cure~all for FM.

I know it's far easier said than done about trying not to feel guilty about how you are at the moment, but if you can manage to turn some of that guilt to something a little lighter and brighter, it might help you start to spot some of those little glimmers.

Have you looked into alternative ways to try and manage things??? Quite a few of us have found a TENs machine can help bring some relief, as can applying warmth to affected areas, such as hottie botties and the wheaty bags that get zapped in the mikey. There are even the heat patches which steadily release warmth over a number of hours that a few have found beneficial.

Acupuncture can help ease things, no just pain, but other issues you may also be juggling with. I'm coming to the end of the number of acupuncture sessions I can have on the NHS. Whilst it hasn't help with FM pain levels, I've found it has helped with IBS and migraines. And because they're not draining me quite as much, this has rippled out and helped make handling/dealing with FM and CFS just that little bit easier each day.

If it's not something you've tried before, it might be worth asking your GP about what could be available in your area for you to try, esp with you being so sensitive to meds.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby bandj » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:29 pm

Hello there,

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling :grouphug: please try to remember that you're not letting anyone down. You're not well and you will have flare ups from time to time.

I used to work d full timd but found it to much with caring for my hubby and my own poor health. I didn't know i had fibro then. I was able to cut my hours down to 25 hrs per week. Sometimes that is difficult but I try to muddle through. Maybe you could discuss cutting your hours down?

be gentle with yourself. Hope things improve for you soon.
There are these three things that remain: faith, hope and love. And the greatest of these is LOVE.
1 Corinthians 13:13
bandj
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia