Just one question that is bugging me ?

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

Just one question that is bugging me ?

Postby paddymcmullan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:38 pm

how long does it take fibromyalgia to develop? ive had aches and pains for years but just brushed them off but in a matter of weeks ive pains popping up all over the place , out of the blue :crazy:

Just thought id ask

Thanks
paddymcmullan
UKFM Newbie

Re: Just one question that is bugging me ?

Postby humphreys » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:08 pm

Hi, I was diagnosed with Fibro about 3 years ago, but I think I had it years before, I was always going to the doctors and hospital with pains inbetween my joints, I kept telling the doctors at the hospital this, but they kept saying (your joints are not swolen and your bloods are OK) I kept saying it's not my bloody joints its inbetween the joints, I went to see a rhumatologist he said the same, I'd had enough by this time, I went mad at him, saying I want something done NOW, I'm sick of doctors saying there's not anything wrong with me, only having arthritis. I saw him the week later, he said they had come to the conclusion that I have fibro, gave me a leaflet and sent me on my way, I was releived, but scared. Now when I go to the hospital he talks to me as long as I want him to, he has time for me now. I don't think there's doctors out there who know a lot about Fibro. It's about time they bloody well did though.
humphreys
UKFM Member

Postby Debs72 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:11 pm

For years I have suffered pain in one way or another which gradually got worse, I am now at the point of constant pain !! I just put it down to over doing things or the meds I was on for another condition , took 5yrs of being a leech at the doctors before they sent me and I got my diagnosis x :-x
Debs72
UKFM Newbie

Postby Jeany » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:20 pm

I had fluctuating symptoms for about 8 years before I was finally diagnosed 2 years ago. I think it may have started because I had Glandular Fever when I was 47 year old, and then was never the same.

Like other on this site my GP could find nothing wrong with me to explain the pains , which started in my hips and gradually ended up all over from head to toe. I had spells when I felt well, and then would come crashing down if I over exerted myself, and would end up in bed very ill. Around the same time I also started with lots of stomach problems, such as IBS, acid reflux and recurring stomach ulcers.

Things are getting worse all the time. I have very little energy, and a lot of pain. My stomach is constantly giving me trouble, and nothing I eat seems to agree with me.

I am now waiting to see my local ME/CFS team, and just hope that I can regain some quality of life.
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby paddymcmullan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:24 pm

ive been on anti depressions for just over 2 years , was on them 7 years before that, 30mg citalopram i was fine for a while , put myself down to 20mg and was quiet happy for a long time,

then these bloody pains started again and ive been that annoyed i put myself back up to 30mg , getting stressed out about it but dont want it to affect my new partner and little baby in anyway

, i quit work yesterday as it made me worse , i worked in a cooler , food production even opening boxes with a knife hurt ... not like me at all . feeling crap about my self to be honest , any ways my partner is 15 years my younger but shes very understanding and is glad i dont go killing my self at work , rolling out of bed 22 mile drive sitting on one butt cheek as my hip hurt lol... going into the cold and standing for 9 hours going from one foot to the other as my legs hurt, .. and to top it off , i have loads of certs for catering as a chef. and there im working for min wage , enough to put me on 60mg lol ...

Any way its all been too much and im more relieved that i have stopped working just for a while until i get my health sorted for my family's sake and mine

i hope you all get some sort of out come for the better ;)
paddymcmullan
UKFM Newbie

Postby migrembe » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:44 pm

Jeany: Are you sure you have Fibromyalgia and not ME/CFS? As you have had glandular fever is more little to be ME/CFS, FMS is normally caused by a predisposition to the syndrome and a sudden event, such as a fall or major surgery or even a car accident. ME shows up in the blood and also on MRI scan of the brain, however Fibro does not.

I have unrelated aches and pains in muscles, joints and bones and depression long before Fibro was diagnosed a couple of years ago.

If you are self regulating your medication don't forget to let your GP know what you are doing.
migrembe
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:46 pm

paddymcmullan wrote:how long does it take fibromyalgia to develop? ive had aches and pains for years but just brushed them off but in a matter of weeks ive pains popping up all over the place , out of the blue :crazy:

Just thought id ask

Thanks

I think it's easier to answer questions on how long is a piece of string, or what the meaning of life is rather than having a guess at how long it can take for FM to develop :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

As you learn more about the condition, and how it affects you, it's not unusual to find that things experienced a number of years previously, which seemed to be stand~alone, random problems, seem to suggest that FM was starting to bubble away in our bodies a good while before being dx'd.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby Jeany » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:56 am

Thanks for your comments Migrembe. I was diagnosed with CFS and Chronic Myalgia, but nothing showed up on the blood tests, and I haven't been offered a brain scan.
I am finding the illnesses I have very confusing, and difficult to deal with and understand. I have gone from being an active women in my 50s who used to walk 40 miles a week to being fit for nothing basically. No energy and pain is getting worse, and affects my whole life.

I have an appointment with the ME/CFS team from Seacroft Hospital in Leeds, who are coming out to assess and work with me, so I just hope I get some benefit from that. x x
Jeany
UKFM Member

Postby painprincess1 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Hi paddy, gosh u meat as well as what heaven looks like,I don't even no when mine started,I've had it years, the thing is as it starts with odd pain here and there u can go years without knowing :crazy: :crazy:
smiles and the world smiles with you. cry and you cry alone.
painprincess1
UKFM Member

Postby kitkat74 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:23 am

Hey everyone,

Can anyone please tell me if fibromyalgia is a progressive illness. Some people and doctors say it's not but would like to know what everyone else thinks. Any advice would be great :(

Kitkat
kitkat74
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:53 am

Tough one...I thought I was just in shock and took longer than others from gallbladder surgery. GP says it's likely that these were the early signs of Fibro.

KitKat, personally I don't think it's progressive as in you could die like from cancer, no. But I've noticed that my symptoms got worse since diagnosed. Or maybe I'm just getting more sensitive because I'm in so much pain every day.
The last 2 doctors I spoke to said it's not progressive but when we discussed my medication and I asked for increasing them they both said they'd rather not do it and wait for when it's really needed. Uh...right. :crazy:
Then I saw a different one, she's new in the surgery. She said the point of taking these meds is tofeel better now and not at some maybe imaginary maybe never happening scenario where it does get worse. And increased them.

Sorry, I know, not a clear yes or no. I think maybe it's not understood enough and doctors aren't sure. I'd sure loveto know wether it's me or Fibro though.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby FluppyPuffy » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:43 pm

KitKat, FM isn't regarded as being progressive by the medical fraternity as it doesn't cause and worsen damage to areas such as joints like something such as Arthritis. However, like Karou, I've noticed, and still am, things changing, intensifying, worsening. The latest one is cognitive rather than physical as I'm transposing an awful lot of letters and digits when writing, typing etc.
As a Public Moderator of this forum my opinions/views expressed are personal and are no more valid than those of other members and not necessarily those of UKFibromyalgia.

If your dog doesn't like someone, then you probably shouldn't either
FluppyPuffy
SITE ADMIN

Postby SchroedingersCat » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:10 pm

I'm worse than I was when diagnosed, BUT I'm working full time, which I wasn't then, and I'm not really getting any exercise, whereas I was going to the gym and walking a lot when I was diagnosed. So I reckon it's my own fault I'm worse.
SchroedingersCat
UKFM Member

Postby kitkat74 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:10 am

Thanks Karou, FluppyPuffy and SchroedingersCat,

I too have got worse but get told so many different things I was starting to go :crazy:

All I know is how and what I feel (today I almost blacked out at work) but have so many other health issues I don't know what's causing what.

Again thank you for letting me know I'm reasonably sane :yikes:

Lots of love and soft hugs to you all xxx
kitkat74
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia