anyone had back surgery

All your fibromyalgia experiences, questions and answers.

Moderators: perseus, *Lisa*, FluppyPuffy

anyone had back surgery

Postby jayj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:34 pm

hello. just wonder if any of you have had back surgery on a disc. i have a prolapsed disc and a bulging disc in the lower back this started in 2011 and i had pain for over a year then it just seem to go away but 5 months ago it came back but seemed worst at first then seem to get better but then my legs started to feel cold all the time. i have had an mri and it stays nerve roots are ok but because it is a central prolapse or bulge it says its abutting the cauda which im so worried about it the doc didnt seem concerned and just said he will send me to a neurosurgeon who i saw.in the past and just said things would get better.on there own. but last time it didnt say the disc was abutting the cauda im so stressed out i really dont know what to do i have thought of ending my life. the doc isnt sure if the surgeon will see me again so im just playing a waiting game. im scared i aint going to be able to walk im sorry to go on but i cant talk to my family about my worrys as i dont want them getting upset. if anyone could give me any advice please no scary storys
thanks
jayj
jayj
UKFM Member

Re: anyone had back surgery

Postby jayj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:40 pm

also i should of said even tho my legs are cold all the time they do get a bit warmer in bed i cant still feel touch and a pin prick in them i do have sore ankles on and of the doc says cold can mean numb but if they were.numb wud i feel a pin prick or if they felt itchy maybe someone could explain numbness if they have it or had it
jayj
UKFM Member

Postby Andreaagony » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:04 pm

Yes I've had surgery for a prolapsed disc and would never do it again. The pain in my right leg has gone although it is quite numb. Straight after the surgery I suffered with terrible back pain which I hadn't had before and after my gp sent me for another MR scan found That I had another prolapsed disc which was affecting my left side. I now have nerve root blocker and facet joint injections every four months to help control the pain. I wouldn't have any further and would Try any other treatment offered. My discs were also pressing on my spinal column and the disc I had removed was actually stuck.
Hopefully things will improve for you in time but I would consider all your options carefully as sometimes things can go wrong and you can end up worse than you were before x
Andreaagony
UKFM Newbie

Postby jayj » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:16 pm

thanks for reply i have been offered injections but have refused them as a friend had a bad reaction to them so that put me off also have read they can make you worse what do you think of them did you have them before you op
jayj
jayj
UKFM Member

Postby Andreaagony » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:26 pm

Didn't have them before my op. Wish I had!!! I've been having them for about 3 years now only side effects I had were a bit of flushing. Some work better than others but having these have enabled me to keep on working. Before I had them I was in a terrible way - had to get my kids to help me get dressed in the morning and was thinking I'd have to give up working. I'd definitely try them before contemplating surgery my mum and sister in law have them too and they've been ok. Some pain clinics offer sedation with them to relieve anxiety but I find that they are not too painful compared to the pain I have anyway. I'm due for my next lot next week and can't weight i'm like a different person when I've had them I can go for a short nightly walk which helps me to loose some wait which is a bonus. :-D I'd at least go for an appointment where they can advise you of the benefits and any complications that could arise.
Andreaagony
UKFM Newbie

Postby Minniemum » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:18 am

I've never had a back problem like you mention but all my kids do. Sounds like yours with prolapsed discs. They are all adults, all now over 35, and all have done what they could to deal with the pain, some more effective treatments than others.

When the Osteopath was unable to do any more to help one off them he strongly advised Pilates exercise. So desperate measures were needed, they went to see a Pilates practitioner on a 1-1 for afew sessions and carried on doing them at home.

The bottom line is as the strength was built up in the core muscles, they were able to help support the body and take pressure of the spine. They continue to do the exercises and 10yrs without any more prolapsed discs.

I just put this into the mix as sometimes we need to explore different approaches to getting and staying well.
Minniemum
UKFM Member

Postby kezmum » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:14 am

This is reality for me as well. I had surgeey on a snapped disc last year and since then... ive had no feeling in my legs but the tops of my legs feel like they are on fire and the lower legs are ice cold. I can barely walk and now face a future of living in a wheelchair. Im now having another MRI scan to see what damage was done to the nerves during my op. My surgeon/consultant says he doesn't understand why im like this. Most of the pain is in my hips as they feel like they are being crushed when I walk.
kezmum
UKFM Newbie

Postby gammyem » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:07 pm

I had my first back surgery many years ago (worst decision), this resulted in 2 further ops. I wouldn't recommend surgery unless all other options are investigated and tried. I have never been free from pain or numbness since. Good luck and try not to worry too much. (easier said than done, I know).
gammyem
UKFM Newbie

Postby jayj » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:55 pm

thanks for replys i dont really want surgery i want to try and avoid it its just with the doc saying it was abutting my cauda i have that can cause bowel and bladder problems even tho he didnt seem that concerned i am as i seem to have alot of diarrhea this week dont know if its cos im worried or i have an off stomach did any of you have bowel or bladder problems
thanks
jayj
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:12 am

jayj, could it be IBS? I have it and when I'm stressed or worried it kicks off and can go :f1-car:
or :sleep: if you get my meaning.

I've been reading the replies with interest as I've had my second MRI last week. The first one is too old and thespinal surgeon wanted to see if more damage has been done.
I have a slipped vertebra, damaged disc ( S1/L5) and a bulging disc in my dorsal spine that was discovered incidentally. When I had the first meeting with the surgeon, he said that because I have Fibro, he wants to try other things first. Exercises for the back made me worse in the past and so did swimming. I love swimming. sigh

He mentioned injections but I've had them in my hips and they don't last long with me.

I thought surgery would be a good option but after reading I'm not so sure. So sorry you're still struggling. :grouphug:

If you don't mind, I'd like to ask what was done? The surgeon said there's lots of options like removing disc with fusion or without, putting placeholders in or a cage or just screws...but it all depends on the individual case. Just trying to gather information to beprepared for my next meeting.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Postby jayj » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:03 pm

hi karou thanks for reply i havnt had much treatment physio made me worse i have pain in both legs but not much in my back my pain started in 2011 and i had pain for nearly a year but this was in my back the pain i went pain clinic and then to a neurosurgeon who didnt mention an op said it would get better on its own well i had some good months and do all the things i wanted to then in oct it came back again i tryed excecise didnt do anything i had a new mri in jan and doc said not much had changed but i think it as because it feels different the pain doc says it will send the mri to the neuro surgeon and he mite see me and might not so its just a waiting game for me i think if i had to have the op i would because its making me feel unwell if u want ask anything please do
jayj
jayj
UKFM Member

Postby Karou » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:40 am

Hello again jayj, and thanks. :-)

I agree with you there, if nothing else helps I'd try surgery too. I'm getting quite desperate for something that fixes my back. My physio didn't really know what to do with me in the beginning. She kept trying to figure out what's going on but said she just couldn't put her finger on it. That was before we had the MRI results. The things we tried didn't work, I wonder if Fibro is interfering with what would work in other people.

Today I remembered a feather mattress topper being mentioned on here. They're not cheap so right now I couldn't afford it, but we have some spare duvets here for visitors. I grabbed the lot (three) and put them on the mattress. It's not my own, quite hard and I always freeze. Hah but not today! I know it's not the same as a topper but I actually didn't get complaints from raynauds in my feet (bed socks are in the wash lol) and my back and legs are saying thank you.
Whether it's the added warmth or fluff, the pain I had over the past days is a little bit less in legs and back. Just thought I'd share, maybe it'll help others too.

Have you tried a TENS machine? In my leaflet it says not to be put on the spine or bones but if I put mine close enough to where it hurts and use the massage & pain relief setting, it can sometimes help me to calm things down a bit. It doesn't last long for me but any moment with less pain is great.

I really hope the neuro will get back to you and have answers. :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: But if not, you could go back to your GP and tell them you're still suffering and need help.
Gentle :hugs: :hugs: , Karou

“Wishes are false. Hope is true. Hope makes its own magic.” - Brimstone
Karou
UKFM Member

Return to Living with Fibromyalgia